$1500 gaming Laptop vs $1500 gaming PC ? share your oppinion

XNet

i am curious about what will people take today

a $1500 gaming pc or $1500 gaming laptop ? 

yes , an $1500 gaming pc ( display and accessories included ) can have a better specs than $1500 gaming laptop

but , for $ 1500 gaming laptop, it can run almost all games today in an "OK" condition 

what do you guys think ? 

Personally , i am building a Ryzen 5 2600 with MSI B450m Mortar , 16 GB Team Delta 3000Mhz , EVGA 1070 SC ,  Samsung EVO 970 Nvme , Bitfenix Whisper 550 .

But after completing it , i have a tought , why not having a gaming laptop instead ? 

share your oppinion 

Thanks

Since I don't need portable power I'd go fot the PC 100%. All that I need my laptop for is school so basicly being able run word. Still using a laptop with a 3217-U, and have no need to upgrade.

Just now, seoz said:

Gaming PC, for sure.

Do you really want to be carrying around a bulky thick laptop for mediocre gaming that lasts less than two hours on battery?

For battery , i think it will not be a real problem , most gaming laptop is not good on battery life 

We will always plug it in 

4 minutes ago, XNet said:

i am curious about what will people take today

a $1500 gaming pc or $1500 gaming laptop ? 

yes , an $1500 gaming pc ( display and accessories included ) can have a better specs than $1500 gaming laptop

but , for $ 1500 gaming laptop, it can run almost all games today in an "OK" condition 

what do you guys think ? 

Personally , i am building a Ryzen 5 2600 with MSI B450m Mortar , 16 GB Team Delta 3000Mhz , EVGA 1070 SC ,  Samsung EVO Nvme , Bitfenix Whisper.

But after completing it , i have a tought , why not having a gaming laptop instead ? 

share your oppinion 

Thanks

I am a little confused - you have have completed building your computer, so unless you are unhappy with its performance there is no need for you to get a laptop as well. If you're not happy with your desktop, sell parts of it and upgrade it. Unless you want a laptop so you can take it around with you for gaming and forth, and want to sell your desktop, do that and ask for a recommendation of a laptop.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Just now, XNet said:

For battery , i think it will not be a real problem , most gaming laptop is not good on battery life 

We will always plug it in 

If it's always plugged in, that kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop's portability.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

a laptop is always weaker then apc becouse of thermal limits. and a good gaming laptop is big and heavy already. so I would suggest getting a pc and a cheap laptop with it if you really need portability. or get a mini-itx or micro-atx build

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

I am a little confused - you have have completed building your computer, so unless you are unhappy with its performance there is no need for you to get a laptop as well. If you're not happy with your desktop, sell parts of it and upgrade it. Unless you want a laptop so you can take it around with you for gaming and forth, and want to sell your desktop, do that and ask for a recommendation of a laptop.

no , i am not say i am not happy , i love it because it's powerfull enough , 

but i have a second tought after reading some gaming laptop specification , and it can play most of the game

i just wonder , am i the only one has this on my mind ? 

$1,000 gaming PC and a $500 laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, XNet said:

but i have a second tought after reading some gaming laptop specification , and it can play most of the game

yeah, a desktop 1060 isn't the same as a laptop 1060

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah , i see

Just now, XNet said:

I sometimes have this same feeling too; I have a big, beastly PC that can run any game I want on it, but my laptop is super slow and I would also like something more.

To me, having a dedicated PC is much better because it's made for gaming, whereas a 'gaming' laptop will always make compromises to the point where it just becomes a heavy, cumbersome mess.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Incorrect, they're the same for all of the pascal chips

I personally got a gaming laptop because I needed the option of portability, it depends entirely on your situation. A desktop will usually always be better value for raw performance.

1 minute ago, seoz said:

I sometimes have this same feeling too; I have a big, beastly PC that can run any game I want on it, but my laptop is super slow and I would also like something more.

To me, having a dedicated PC is much better because it's made for gaming, whereas a 'gaming' laptop will always make compromises to the point where it just becomes a heavy, cumbersome mess.

let say , it will put on the desk forever , we do not need the portability function of it 

But it's very small and convinient to have it , just buy and plug it 

is it not interesting ? 

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

Incorrect, they're the same for all of the pascal chips

also that is somewhat true. it is the same gp106, but it's clocked lower becouse of thermal limits. it's pretty different in performence

1 minute ago, XNet said:

let say , it will put on the desk forever , we do not need the portability function of it 

But it's very small and convinient to have it , just buy and plug it 

is it not interesting ? 

that's why prebuilds exist

9 minutes ago, seoz said:

If it's always plugged in, that kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop's portability.

Not really.

If you're travel at all, carrying around a full desktop will be far more of a hassle than unfolding a laptop and pulling out a power brick.

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

also that is somewhat true. it is the same gp106, but it's clocked lower becouse of thermal limits. it's pretty different in performence

Incorrect again, the Max-Q is clocked lower for thermals, there are also non Max-Q chips. The boost 3.0 clocks don't always go as far because of thermal limits, but the base and standard boost are the same, it's the exact same chip, and with equal cooling they perform equal.

2 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Incorrect again, the Max-Q is clocked lower for thermals, there are also non Max-Q chips.

The non max-Q chips are still going to be clocked lower than the desktop chips, though not by much.

35 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

The non max-Q chips are still going to be clocked lower than the desktop chips, though not by much.

You didn’t read the rest of my post, they’re clocked the same, they just don’t boost 3.0 quite as high, but given the same cooling they will perform the same, not all laptops are thermally limited :)

Desktop anyday. I just recently thought that if I wasn't still studying (and needing keyboard on the go), I would sell my current laptop and only use tablet on the go. Really good ITX or mATX system has enough portability if I would need such. And with €1.5K I could build system enough for that. Even if you calculate monitor and peripherals to that price.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Depends on your use case man... I would personally get laptop cuz I don't want to carry around a cabinet, monitor, keyboard etc wherever I go.

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Incorrect again, the Max-Q is clocked lower for thermals, there are also non Max-Q chips. The boost 3.0 clocks don't always go as far because of thermal limits, but the base and standard boost are the same, it's the exact same chip, and with equal cooling they perform equal.

also that's not true for the 1060, becouse there isn't a max-q version of it

as far as i know at least. so stop arguing and just keep it on that a desktop 1060 will be faster in real life

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

also that's not true for the 1060, becouse there isn't a max-q version of it

as far as i know at least. so stop arguing and just keep it on that a desktop 1060 will be faster in real life

There is a Max-Q version of 1050 Ti, 1060 and 1079 that I know of.