I'm new to the SLI game

monkofcrunk
Go to solution Solved by Wockinine,

Sadly, if you were to SLI you would have to get the EXACT SAME CARD as nvidia I very tight about these things. On the other hand, AMD Crossfire allows two cards if the same chipset (so any two polaris cards or two vega cards could work together) but would take the vram and speed of the lower card. Personally I would stay well clear of SLI as many games do not support it and in some cases end up performing worse than single card performance.

Hope this helps

I'm going to be upgrading my PC soon and am wondering.... Can I SLI my Zotac 1080ti amp extreme with a different 1080ti? or do I have to buy the same one?

Sadly, if you were to SLI you would have to get the EXACT SAME CARD as nvidia I very tight about these things. On the other hand, AMD Crossfire allows two cards if the same chipset (so any two polaris cards or two vega cards could work together) but would take the vram and speed of the lower card. Personally I would stay well clear of SLI as many games do not support it and in some cases end up performing worse than single card performance.

Hope this helps

36 minutes ago, Wockinine said:

Hope this helps

Thank you! I will keep that in mind for sure!

Yes you can use any other 1080ti for SLI. I'd suggest checking the card's width in order to use an HB bridge (it should match) but if not then just use two ribbon bridges. Also if aircooled, the upper card may get toasty if you are not using a blower style card on the bottom. Just something to take into consideration.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

You can get any card. The issue is height. Being able to mate a hard sli brige. 

Would also be best to get a blower version unless you have 3 spades between the cards after install. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Yes it is possible to use two different cards but there are soooo many issues and potential incompatibilities like the ones mentioned that you basically need the exact same card. Personally I would resist the new cards for a while (2080 ti) and stick with the 1080 ti and wait for maybe AMD to release thier new vega gen 2 cards which supposedly will crush 2080 to in TRADITIONAL gameplay (so non RTX stuff) but take this with a grain of salt as this is AMD we are talking about here.