Advice needed for a starting computer "business"

Dear linus, crew, and community,

I have "accidentally" created an under-the-counter computer building business. I noticed that there was a complete lack of people who build computers in my area, so I put a post on Facebook stating that I build computers.now I have several people asking me to build computers within their price range. I honestly was not expecting a response like this. while I have some experience in computers, I would not considered myself a master, and I have no experience in the business end of things. Unfortunately, It seems the be the only person willing to help these people within the next 200 miles.  I don't know where to start or how to organize such an operation. So, I ask you for advice on how to operate a small business in order to provide for the needs in my area.

2 minutes ago, Thomas:barth (Mt.Rushmore) said:

I have "accidentally" created an under-the-counter computer building business. I noticed that there was a complete lack of people who build computers in my area, so I put a post on Facebook stating that I build computers.now I have several people asking me to build computers within their price range. I honestly was not expecting a response like this. while I have some experience in computers, I would not considered myself a master, and I have no experience in the business end of things. Unfortunately, It seems the be the only person willing to help these people within the next 200 miles.  I don't know where to start or how to organize such an operation. So, I ask you for advice on how to operate a small business in order to provide for the needs in my area.

Depends on if you're doing it as a legitimate business or not. For that you'll be needing things like licenses for business, have to meet government regulation and so on. 

If you make it clear to your customers that you are more of a hobbyist doing it for some money than you should be safe there?

If you're talking just business than you'll have to remember the basics before you move on to bigger things.

Operating Hours

If they can contact you outside of those hours, then what hours are their options

Do you back-up your work or are they left to fix it themselves

A timeline, people NEED a timeline if they're going to trust you with their money. 

CONTACT INFORMATION

Costs vs Profits

There's a lot to think about here depending on what angle you approach this from. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas:barth (Mt.Rushmore) said:

Spend an hour or two with a CPA who specializes in something like that, or a Tax Attorney.  Going legit isn't something you want to fuck up, as penalties and fines for not reporting income to the IRS (for example) can hurt later.  There are a myriad of things touched on above, but registering an LLC or INC or SP, how to collect sales tax and pay it, how to issue 1099's to customers, how to file taxes, etc.

DO NOT take anyone's "word for it" unless they are infact giving you above board legal advice.

That means DO NOT take what I just wrote as gospel or fact either. I am a Controller for a company and I still consult our Tax Consultants and Real Estate Tax Consultants just to make sure at times.

Good luck to you!

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

It kind of depends what country you are in. Here in the UK, if you earn over £11,000 a year you have to declare it, otherwise you don't. 

I think spend a good few days researching laws and stuff for you country and any other laws that apply in your area regarding companies, asset management, profits etc. 

start to compile a list of t&c's for customers, like hours, returns policy, warranty policies etc, timelines, payments

I make intelligent lights do cool things

22 minutes ago, Thomas:barth (Mt.Rushmore) said:

Im a small business owner.  I recommend at least $5000 startup capital for licensing, advertisement, purchasing power for your first rigs and insurance.  I recommend you utilize the services of a lawyer for any business agreements you come up with if you have partners, or any documents you have your customers sign.  Costs around $700 in the Midwest to get a couple documents from a legit lawyer, that should hold up should you ever find yourself in court.

Or, just do it as a side business, admit to people it is a hobby and ensure their expectations will either be a fixed item or you give it back unfixed at no cost so recourse never comes your way.  Or if its building only you want, than work within their budget - apparently they don't know sh*t either so wont know the difference between X and Y part, to ensure some of that money lands in your pocket.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

my side gigs usually involve buying parts on sale and charging the person for just my labor.  I provide receipts from retailers so they know i'm on the level.  Also advise them that if anything breaks, ill fix it for my hourly wage and deal with RMA's for them but there is no warentee implied or otherwise from me.  i usually only build a few PC's a year for acquaintances.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

tax fraud is illegal

"It's only illegal if you get cought"

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

2 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

"It's only illegal if you get cought"

Cardboard prison for you ? as you hear the cold hard clang behind you and Bubba introduces himself and says you got top bunk.

6 hours ago, Thomas:barth (Mt.Rushmore) said:

If going legit. LLC or INC is your best bet. You want to keep your private assets away from your business assets. Like others have said, you need to talk to some one who knows how to "start a business" like an accountant or attorney. Keep in mind the at least in the US the IRS kinda pisses on small business owners. You have to collect your own "taxes" like FICA, Income tax and etc. You may also need to contact your local government to see about zoning. Because you might not be able to run a business out of your home, based on how your land is zoned. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It is easy to incorporate a business, will cost a measly $150 and take a few days for the name search to finish. Getting the taxes setup is easy. Then go to city hall and talk to them to get the business licenses.

Now the hard part, is filing the taxes on time. The government can freeze your accounts anytime if you dont do anything! That left me in a jam one time, but it took a lot of ignoring for that to happen.

And no matter where you live, government always shits on minnows because minnows dont fight back.

If you build less than 10 PCs a month is say don’t worry about it and just stay a hobbyist. You can claim the revenue. It’s not illegal to sell stuff on eBay so it shouldn’t be illegal to build a few PCs. 

Unless you get so many customers that you can live comfortably by only building pcs, don’t worry about it & just claim the revenue on tax forms without hiring business dudes. 

If you need to hire people, talk to a lawyer for small businesses. (Get a mean one that has horrible people skills. It means he’s good.) 

I own my own small business for computer repairs and technology consultation. I started a LLC (Limited Liability Company) to cover me on the basic things. I use Quickbooks to track everything I spend/make in case anything arises. Your results may vary based on country/state.