New Apple Event October 30th

38 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont get where you keep getting this from. Lois Rossman proves time and time again that isnt true with their design choices. If you want a long lasting laptop you buy a Lenovo.

I said they're better than the systems in question, not that they're the absolute best on the market.

Could you please stop purposefully misinterpreting what people say to fuel your outrage?  We get it -- you hate Apple.  You don't have to put words in other people's mouths to express your disagreement.

32 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I said they're better than the systems in question, not that they're the absolute best on the market.

Could you please stop purposefully misinterpreting what people say to fuel your outrage?  We get it -- you hate Apple.  You don't have to put words in other people's mouths to express your disagreement.

I am not wording to because I hate apple but if you say a Macbook is a better buy that other laptops because its longevity and can do more of everything better, yeah I am going to call you out. 

This all started at the post of a Mac Mini that is $1300 which is essentially a Intel NUC with bottom tier hardware which is outrageous when you could get a decent desktop replacement for that price. 

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I'm having the hardest time not calling this overpriced for the specs provided. 

<snip>

For giggles (config at this price has 16GB of ram)

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

<accidental fail snip and made 2 quotes>

No one is saying price can get the same spec for $499. However, it's awfully hard to ignore taking the same price and trying to convince someone the 12" MacBook is a good buy.

Note: This is aimed at the "Apple gear" bit more than something niche like the air.*

People buy a MacBook for portability and for note-taking. I don't think they would even look at a laptop that weighs 2kg or is that big. It is due for a refresh and I'd like to see an ARM chip (or at least an i5) rather than the M3, which is not impressive at all. When you shop for a notebook (netbook) it's the look, feel and wireless connectivity that matters. 

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

See, that's more like it if you want something that's more of a true portable machine.  Apple's laptops are better in terms of raw longevity, but the Gigabyte Aero seems to strike a good balance.  I just think it's important to avoid falling into the mindset of some hardcore gamers where a PC's worth is based solely on how well it runs the latest games.

That Aero is probably the definition of a do-it-all machine, with epic battery life and good portability to boot.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

16 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I am not wording to because I hate apple but if you say a Macbook is a better buy that other laptops because its longevity and can do more of everything better, yeah I am going to call you out. 

This all started at the post of a Mac Mini that is $1300 which is essentially a Intel NUC with bottom tier hardware which is outrageous when you could get a decent desktop replacement for that price. 

But that's not what I said.  Will you please acknowledge the truth that this is not what I said?

All I said is that the MacBook is better at certain important things that the Sager example isn't, and that it's not simply a matter of picking a laptop based on how fast it is.  I'm not even saying the MacBook is a great overall laptop (it's slow, it's small, there's only one USB port), just that it'd be a smarter choice in some circumstances.