Broken Tablet

GiantEvilPig

I recently replaced the screen on my nexus 7, the whole front panel. That is because the whole left half of the digitizer is broken. Though when I replaced it, the same half of the digitizer wasn't working. The ebay seller I bought it from claims it was thoroughly tested and does have a good selling record. So could it have been the board the screen connects to that broke? 

Does your Nexus 7 has any physical or internal damage? (Ex. cracks/dents and water damage). If not, it's most likely the hardware getting broken due to normal wear and tear. It is a 5 year old tablet after all.

Also, I see that you bought the tablet from Ebay, and not from an official store such as Google or Best Buy. It wasn't in "refurbished" condition, right? Since there is a difference between refurbished and used. If you have a budget, try not to buy it from places like Ebay, since it's usually hard to determine whether what the seller describes meets the actual product. They might even have sold you a defective Nexus 7, without you knowing it. Personally, I almost never buy from Ebay.

-Kevin-

2 hours ago, krkevin said:

Does your Nexus 7 has any physical or internal damage? (Ex. cracks/dents and water damage). If not, it's most likely the hardware getting broken due to normal wear and tear. It is a 5 year old tablet after all.

Also, I see that you bought the tablet from Ebay, and not from an official store such as Google or Best Buy. It wasn't in "refurbished" condition, right? Since there is a difference between refurbished and used. If you have a budget, try not to buy it from places like Ebay, since it's usually hard to determine whether what the seller describes meets the actual product. They might even have sold you a defective Nexus 7, without you knowing it. Personally, I almost never buy from Ebay.

I had the tablet, I dropped it and got a crack on the screen and half the digitizer stopped working. I bought a replacement panel from Ebay which didn't solve the problem. The seller actually just sent me a bottom board and should be coming in about a week. The only physical damage is on the old screen though, I was thinking one of the sockets for the ribbon cable the screen connects to could have broke during the fall.

1 hour ago, GiantEvilPig said:

I had the tablet, I dropped it and got a crack on the screen and half the digitizer stopped working. I bought a replacement panel from Ebay which didn't solve the problem. The seller actually just sent me a bottom board and should be coming in about a week. The only physical damage is on the old screen though, I was thinking one of the sockets for the ribbon cable the screen connects to could have broke during the fall.

One drop and half the digitizer stopped working, seems suspicious. Nexus 7 was released in 2013, so no part of the device should be like new. It's completely normal for it to break easily since its a old device. Normally, when any device cracks, it should still work like it didn't crack, but just with the cracked glass.

My recommendation is, if you can return it, return it. I can give you suggestions on a different tablet if you want. (not from Ebay). Just name your price and type of currency. :)

Other than that, it's hard for me to guarantee "good device health" on your Nexus 7, since it is outdated, honestly. Check the software on your Nexus 7, it's most likely not even 8.0 Oreo.

-Kevin-