Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best GPU for this build

Callum1808

Hello so around Christmas I will be building a new pc which will be for 1080p gaming:

B450 Tomahawk

Ryzen 2600 (I have a Corsair h50 so I can overclock but I know I need an am4 bracket)

Corsair vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz

I will be re using SSD with windows 10 and HDD 

EVGA 650W G2 Supernova

Re-using antec 900 case

So yeah I will be using a GTX 680 from previous build until I can get a better gpu but I’m not sure what would be best. I don’t want to spend loads just try to keep it under £350 but if I have to I can spend more. So any suggestions on a graphics card would be great.

PS

I have a 1080p 60Hz monitor 

I am not bothered whether it is AMD gpu or nvidia as I have never had AMD and I’ve only ever had one nvidia (the 680) but I don’t understand the different AMD branding like sapphire etc

1060 maybe a 1070 second hand or new if you can find a deal

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

1070 is a good GPU for this build. In Australia here, we can find them used for under $300 USD.

hi.

3 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

1070 is a good GPU for this build. In Australia here, we can find them used for under $300 USD.

4 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

1060 maybe a 1070 second hand or new if you can find a deal

Is a used GPU really worth the risk considering the mining and everything?

well its the risk of going second hand vs saving money.

plus after looking at amazon an extra £50 will get you to a 1070/ti

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

6 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

I really doubt a 1070 or 1060 (the roi would be shitty) was used for mining but that is the trade off you take for a better price, its up to you, I always buy new but that is just me.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 Cooler: Corsiar H60 MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro B350m RAM: 16GB GPU: ASUS ROG GTX 1070 Case: Masterbox Lite 5 Storage: 240GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B 

Laptop

2019 Macbook Pro 15 inch i9 4.8ghz 8 core 16GB RAM 512GB SSD 560x Pro

1060 would be good but if you can get a nice price on 1070/+  get that. And if you are buying a second hand gpu make sure it was not used for mining

1 minute ago, CaptainSpeedster said:

1060 would be good but if you can get a nice price on 1070/+  get that. And if you are buying a second hand gpu make sure it was not used for mining

How can I make sure as there are a lot of deals on eBay but if they say they haven’t been used for mining is that definite ?

8 minutes ago, Shockers87 said:

I really doubt a 1070 or 1060 was used for mining but that is the trade off you take for a better price, its up to you, I always buy new but that is just me.

For GPU's, I'll always buy it new. CPU on the other, I don't know.

Don't take the risk to buy a GPU second hand, or you may end up with a GPU that's been used for mining big time. Use your 680 for now untill you found a good deal to buy a new GPU. I got my 1080Ti for €680 and that was just at the right moment! Since it got out of stock, the rest of the 1080Ti's still are €800 up to €1060. Avoid used GPU's like the pest.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Lake People G103-S (Currently not in use)

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, T5p.2, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, Fidelio X2HR, Meze 99 Classics Walnut/Gold

Earphones: Airpods 2019, Sony WF1000XM3, Sony MDR-E818LP

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080Ti, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280.

13 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

Even if the card was used for mining, it's not a HUGE deal. It's not like the card won't work. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Callum1808 said:

How can I make sure as there are a lot of deals on eBay but if they say they haven’t been used for mining is that definite ?

No, there is a good chance they are just nothing but lying snakes. Aren't there hardware webstores in your country? eBay is not the only way to go, right?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Lake People G103-S (Currently not in use)

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, T5p.2, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, Fidelio X2HR, Meze 99 Classics Walnut/Gold

Earphones: Airpods 2019, Sony WF1000XM3, Sony MDR-E818LP

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080Ti, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280.

for 1080p@60 i think a 1060 6gb or a rx580. You don't need to spend more money, even with those gpu's you will be at high or ultra and limited by the 60hz monitor

20 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

Mining cards make excellent gaming cards. There's not much reason to get a 1070 for 1080p 60hz though, I would get an RX 580 instead.

You'll be fine with the Ryzen stock cooler as well, I have no problems with my 1600 at 3.8Ghz.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

for 1080p@60 i think a 1060 6gb or a rx580. You don't need to spend more money, even with those gpu's you will be at high or ultra and limited by the 60hz monitor

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Mining cards make excellent gaming cards. There's not much reason to get a 1070 for 1080p 60hz though, I would get an RX 580 instead.

You'll be fine with the Ryzen stock cooler as well, I have no problems with my 1600 at 3.8Ghz.

I’m thinking a 1070 or better as in future I may upgrade monitor 

I’m thinking a 1070 or better as in future I may upgrade monitor 

Fair enough.

The 2600's stock cooler is plenty good enough, even when overclocking. Depending on silicon lottery and motherboard, you won't have any problems even at a 4Ghz overclock.

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

And I really don’t know I like the idea of a cheap but good GPU that will last a good while but I want to make sure it will last a while so I’m very undecided at the moment

And I really don’t know I like the idea of a cheap but good GPU that will last a good while but I want to make sure it will last a while so I’m very undecided at the moment

The 1070 won't be obsolete for a good long while.

I still play games with a GTX 780 for reference, that card is 5 years old. Everything runs at 1080p Medium settings with no problems, and I even play at 75Hz.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Fair enough.

The 2600's stock cooler is plenty good enough, even when overclocking. Depending on silicon lottery and motherboard, you won't have any problems even at a 4Ghz overclock.

Ok will keep that in mind I will have a look which I will use as I already have a water cooler h50 so I could either sell that or use it and sell the stock one(if it sells)

Just now, Callum1808 said:

Ok will keep that in mind I will have a look which I will use as I already have a water cooler h50 so I could either sell that or use it and sell the stock one(if it sells)

I'd stick with the stock cooler personally. It comes with the CPU and doesn't require any other mounting brackets. You should be able to sell the H50 as long as you sell it for a decent price.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The 1070 won't be obsolete for a good long while.

I still play games with a GTX 780 for reference, that card is 5 years old. Everything runs at 1080p Medium settings with no problems, and I even play at 75Hz.

Yeah my 680 still runs quite well so I’m going to use that up until January ish as I already have MB and Ram but waiting to see if Black Friday has any affect on cpu price. Also do you think the gpu prices will have dropped at all by January ?

Just now, Callum1808 said:

Yeah my 680 still runs quite well so I’m going to use that up until January ish as I already have MB and Ram but waiting to see if Black Friday has any affect on cpu price. Also do you think the gpu prices will have dropped at all by January ?

Most likely.

If you live in the United States near a Micro Center, buy your CPU and motherboard there. You'll save $30 on your motherboard with their bundle deal.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most likely.

If you live in the United States near a Micro Center, buy your CPU and motherboard there. You'll save $30 on your motherboard with their bundle deal.

Nah I live in the UK the prices are slightly higher here as 2600 is around £150-160 if I’m lucky. I got the Motherboard already for fairly cheap and the ram too so waiting to snatch the cpu. Btw do I need to put thermal paste on when putting the stock cooler on or does it already have thermal paste on it ?( first pc build so I’m a noob atm )

30 minutes ago, Callum1808 said:

Nah I live in the UK the prices are slightly higher here as 2600 is around £150-160 if I’m lucky. I got the Motherboard already for fairly cheap and the ram too so waiting to snatch the cpu. Btw do I need to put thermal paste on when putting the stock cooler on or does it already have thermal paste on it ?( first pc build so I’m a noob atm )

Stock cooler has thermal paste pre-applied, you'll be fine.

IF the GTX1070 is above your budget, then an RX580 would do just fine, and with AMD 'Fine wine' tech, who knows, the RX580 may clearly out perform the GTX1060. The recent driver update (Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.10.1) has new Vulkan extensions and WDDM 2.5 support which seemed to have improved performance for all Radeon cards from the RX550 to VEGA....at least, that's my impression from the guru3d thread.

Rig 1: AMD AM4 R9 3900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 16GB Patriot Viper RGB 3600CL17 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 2TB 860 QVO SSD + 2x 1TB 850 EVO + 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Ducky Shine 4 69 Fire + Logitech G703 | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | LG SL8YG | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win10 Pro

Rig 2: Intel i7 3960X (6C/12T) | Asus R4E | 16GB Corsair Dom Plat 2133mhz | PC RX VEGA 64 Red Devil | iOppo HA-1 | Philips HTL9100 | Caselabs M8 | Seasonic X-1250 | Mistel Barocco MD770 RGB + Logitech G402 | Samsung Acer XR341CK 21:9 75Hz Freesync | 64bit Win10 Pro

HTPC Rig: Intel i7 4770K (4C/8T) | MSI Z87 G45 Gaming | 16GB RipJawsZ 1600mhz | Leadtek GTX 1080 Hurricane OC | Fostex HPA4 | Philips B97/98 | Tt View 31 | Corsair HX-1050 | Logitech G613 + G603 | Panasonic 65" UHD TV | 64bit Win10 Pro