First time build - judge it!

So I'm a brand new builder, and this is my first attempt at building a gaming rig.

[Keeping an updated PCPartpicker link]

A couple things:

1) My goal is to remain under $1500 USD, while still being a relatively strong gaming rig. Many of the parts on the list are cheaper on amazon, coming to around a $1375 total, and I get 5% back on Amazon, so around $1300 currently, excluding Windows.

2) I want to run the majority of games at around ~80 fps min at high-ish graphics, not necessarily ultra.

3) I plan on running a dual-monitor setup. I plan on having 1 144 Hz monitor, probably 1080p, and one mediocre monitor at 60 Hz.

4) The case and keyboard I have are still relatively uncertain. I want a nice RGB mech keyboard, but I don't need a lot of macros. I like the case I have selected, but anything in the $110-150 range that is somewhat RGB and partial tempered glass is cool. A min of mid-tower size, though.

5) I'm making this in the hopes of having it last for at least 5 years, with upgrades in the future being possible, but not a huge concern. I don't care about overclocking much, hence the i5-8400, but if choosing another cpu that can overclock would be smarter, please let me know. I'm pretty new to CPU selecting. The GPU is probably more set in stone, since the price point of the GTX 1070 TI is spot on (~$400-450). 

And that's pretty much all that I have done so far. I don't think I have any bottlenecks, but please criticize the build if you see any issues, small or glaring!

That's a great build. If you can stretch it, get a 2TB HDD for a couple of bucks more.

hi.

I actually forgot that windows 10 costs money thats a shame , otherwise seems ok , a 1070 used might bring the price down

Just now, emosun said:

I actually forgot that windows 10 costs money thats a shame , otherwise seems ok , a 1070 used might bring the price down

I haven't really seen how big of a difference the 1070 Ti vs the regular 1070 is. It seems rather small, so 1070 might be fine then? Also, are used graphics cards as reliable as new ones? I don't want to have to replace one anytime soon

I would definitely suggest going with a better power supply. The Corsair CX (2017) or CXM (2015) are much better quality units for a similar price.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

4 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

That's a great build. If you can stretch it, get a 2TB HDD for a couple of bucks more.

Hmm, I mean I have 2 TB total already from the 1TB SSD boot drive. I'll do another look at the price difference between 1 TB and 2 TB. thanks!

3 minutes ago, Shadow6767 said:

I would definitely suggest going with a better power supply. The Corsair CX (2017) or CXM (2015) are much better quality units for a similar price.

Lol so had looked at the CXM 600W on Amazon, saw it at like $140 and said nope. Since you recommended those I just saw the CX 650W is only $60. weird. I've seen a lot of people say that you don't really need above 600W for anything at or below the GTX 1080ti, so I thought the EVGA would suffice. Is that just a mediocre brand?

Just now, SSinghNet said:

Also, if you really don't need it get a smaller ssd and get a bigger HDD for a better price

My thought was that a lot of the games I play would do with a faster load time from the SSD (Destiny 2, Dota 2, etc.). If HDD's don't do much worse than SSD's then I could consider that then

Just now, SSinghNet said:

Also you can get a cheap license for like $20 on third party sites that are still legit

Do they activate though? I mean I don't care a ton, but activating it would still be a plus

5 minutes ago, YourPETturtles said:

Lol so had looked at the CXM 600W on Amazon, saw it at like $140 and said nope. Since you recommended those I just saw the CX 650W is only $60. weird. I've seen a lot of people say that you don't really need above 600W for anything at or below the GTX 1080ti, so I thought the EVGA would suffice. Is that just a mediocre brand?

It's not about the brand, it's about the individual unit. Always consider the individual unit rather then the brand when it comes to power supplies. EVGA produces some of the best quality units on the market, but also has quite the range of extremely poor quality units. The B series in particular, is one of those poor quality units.

For a quick reference, you can visit the handy PSU tier list we have here on the forums. You want to have a unit considered at least tier 3 or higher. The Corsair CX (2017) or CXM (2015) are an excellent value at their lower price and great quality, thus my personal recommendation.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

Not a bad build. But the memory should be DDR4-2666.

Also, I'm not a fan of the psu. Get something like SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 instead.

The case comes with three fans, you shouldn't really need another. Put the savings into a better psu.

Do you really need a 1TB hdd? A 1TB ssd is great, I just wonder if you'll need any more storage.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

Not a bad build. But the memory should be DDR4-2666.

Also, I'm not a fan of the psu. Get something like SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650 instead.

The case comes with three fans, you shouldn't really need another. Put the savings into a better psu.

Do you really need a 1TB hdd? A 1TB ssd is great, I just wonder if you'll need any more storage.

I'm an engineering student, and often have to download some random ~40GB program for a class or project, and would like to keep most of them for future projects/ jobs. That's why I went for a 1 TB HDD. And yeah, I'm looking at better PSUs now, thanks! Also, is the speed of RAM that impactful? I figured 2400 is decent enough

48 minutes ago, YourPETturtles said:

So I'm a brand new builder, and this is my first attempt at building a gaming rig.

A couple things:

1) My goal is to remain under $1500 USD, while still being a relatively strong gaming rig. Many of the parts on the list are cheaper on amazon, coming to around a $1375 total, and I get 5% back on Amazon, so around $1300 currently, excluding Windows.

2) I want to run the majority of games at around ~80 fps min at high-ish graphics, not necessarily ultra.

3) I plan on running a dual-monitor setup. I plan on having 1 144 Hz monitor, probably 1080p, and one mediocre monitor at 60 Hz.

4) The case and keyboard I have are still relatively uncertain. I want a nice RGB mech keyboard, but I don't need a lot of macros. I like the case I have selected, but anything in the $110-150 range that is somewhat RGB and partial tempered glass is cool. A min of mid-tower size, though.

5) I'm making this in the hopes of having it last for at least 5 years, with upgrades in the future being possible, but not a huge concern. I don't care about overclocking much, hence the i5-8400, but if choosing another cpu that can overclock would be smarter, please let me know. I'm pretty new to CPU selecting. The GPU is probably more set in stone, since the price point of the GTX 1070 TI is spot on (~$400-450). 

And that's pretty much all that I have done so far. I don't think I have any bottlenecks, but please criticize the build if you see any issues, small or glaring!

Ryzen 7 + 1080ti....

Also l, that's my favorite x370 Mobo, ND undoubtedly one of the best x370 boards out there...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($163.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($125.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.94 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Edition Video Card  ($679.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1482.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-14 19:00 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W