Fiio K1 Users

zrmaxwell

Does it work with an iPhone when coupled with the Apple USB to Lightning Camera Adapter? I've never used a DAC with an iPhone before..

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Why would you want to?

I figured it would be a cheap way to get more power & clarity to my headphones when on the go. 

Not a user but in theory it will work. It's standard USB-Audio Class so drivers should be fine.

The only real concern is power draw. A high power amp like that will likely draw too much power. You may need to use the Apple Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter and may need the adapter to be powered. The adapter has a lightning port so you can wire it out of a wall charger or battery bank. Also note that's the USB 3 Camera Adapter with a 3, because it's quite different than the USB Camera Adapter without a 3.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

Not a user but in theory it will work. It's standard USB-Audio Class so drivers should be fine.

The only real concern is power draw. A high power amp like that will likely draw too much power. You may need to use the Apple Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter and may need the adapter to be powered. The adapter has a lightning port so you can wire it out of a wall charger or battery bank. Also note that's the USB 3 Camera Adapter with a 3, because it's quite different than the USB Camera Adapter without a 3.

Thanks! i will definitely be picking up a lightning to usb 3 camera adapter then.  

15 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

I figured it would be a cheap way to get more power & clarity to my headphones when on the go. 

Honestly, the Apple lightning dongle is just better. It sounds absolutely the same and it’s smaller. Even sound engineers agree that the Apple lightning dongle is a solid performer with a noise floor slightly above the iPhone 6S’s headphone jack. The only possible benefit you could get out of an external DAC is more power. And the Fiio K1 doesn’t offer much juice anyways. So it’s really a wash, but the K1 is noticeably bulkier and more expensive than the usual Apple dongle. 

If if you need more juice out of your iPhone go with the Dragonfly at least. 

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

Honestly, the Apple lightning dongle is just better. It sounds absolutely the same and it’s smaller. Even sound engineers agree that the Apple lightning dongle is a solid performer with a noise floor slightly above the iPhone 6S’s headphone jack. The only possible benefit you could get out of an external DAC is more power. And the Fiio K1 doesn’t offer much juice anyways. So it’s really a wash, but the K1 is noticeably bulkier and more expensive than the usual Apple dongle. 

If if you need more juice out of your iPhone go with the Dragonfly at least. 

I have had my eye on the Dragonfly Red, Dragonfly Black, and the Monoprice Monolith USB DAC as well. I guess i will have to scrap the fiio k1 then, which is fine by me. Thanks for the recommendation! 

14 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

I have had my eye on the Dragonfly Red, Dragonfly Black, and the Monoprice Monolith USB DAC as well. I guess i will have to scrap the fiio k1 then, which is fine by me. Thanks for the recommendation! 

I have the Dragonfly Black 1.3 and I notice absolutely no difference between that and the iPhone dongle. Just louder volume. But I don’t have hi-fi full size headphones. 

49 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

I'm just going to buy this lightning to 3.5mm adapter because it looks more durable than the apple one: https://www.moshi.com/en/product/integra-headphone-jack-adapter/jet-silver

Yeah, I wouldn’t stress too much about DACs. The good thing about the Dragonfly is its versatility. You can also use it on your computer. But always have an extension cord with it. You don’t want to put stress on the USB port. 

The Apple one has a competent DAC tho. And I never had issues with durability. But I don’t use my iPhone for music much. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t stress too much about DACs. The good thing about the Dragonfly is its versatility. You can also use it on your computer. But always have an extension cord with it. You don’t want to put stress on the USB port. 

The Apple one has a competent DAC tho. And I never had issues with durability. But I don’t use my iPhone for music much. 

Thanks for your input.