PSVR or PC?

iLostMyXbox21
Go to solution Solved by Tedstonegenious,

Yup. also, there is one for each chat box. the one you clicked on is marked as the best answer. 

i’m conflicted.. should i buy a PSVR (which has VERY cool games coming out soon, which i wanna play) or a PC (which has even MORE games i wanna play)

i dont wanna make a bad choice and get the VR but then hate it, or get the PC and hate it (i’ve never had a PC for gaming before, i am new)

PLLLLEEEASEEE help...

pros? cons?

what do you think i should do?

ps.. the main game i want on PSVR is Zero Caliber

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

PC if you can afford it, even then you could still play VR pretty well with the WMR headsets on a cheap PC. Contrary to popular belief, lower-end GPU's like the GTX 1050 Ti can run VR just fine, just don't expect to super sample.

45 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

PC if you can afford it, even then you could still play VR pretty well with the WMR headsets on a cheap PC. Contrary to popular belief, lower-end GPU's like the GTX 1050 Ti can run VR just fine, just don't expect to super sample.

if i get a PC, i won’t want a VR anytime soon, maybe in a while though.. but i will still need to adjust to the whole “PC gamer” if i do..

is this a good starter build? 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $158.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ B&H
Memory Team - T-Force Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $80.98 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $27.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair - VS 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Other Blue Yeti $50.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $427.94
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $407.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-13 22:21 EDT-0400  

11 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Type Item Price
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Other Blue Yeti $50.00
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $407.94

It's not terrible, but there are a lot that needs to change. What's your total budget?

17 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

if i get a PC, i won’t want a VR anytime soon, maybe in a while though.. but i will still need to adjust to the whole “PC gamer” if i do..

Why not? Is it because of cost? I understand that you'd be hooked into PC gaming in general, but going into VR is amazing.

Gaming PC 100%.

More longevity, more games. Cheaper games, modded games, better controls, etc.

Also the PC can do infinitely more stuff than a console can do. You can use it for school, etc.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

25 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

It's not terrible, but there are a lot that needs to change. What's your total budget?

i’d rather not go TOO far over $400..

Why not? Is it because of cost? I understand that you'd be hooked into PC gaming in general, but going into VR is amazing

partially the cost, but also the fact i want to know if PC gaming is something i am willing to invest time and money into. if i just buy a $600 pc and a $300 VR headset, and it turns out i DONT like it.. that is $900 at least wasted.. so i’d say i wanna keep it as cheap as possible for now.. i will upgrade soon

23 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Gaming PC 100%.

More longevity, more games. Cheaper games, modded games, better controls, etc.

Also the PC can do infinitely more stuff than a console can do. You can use it for school, etc.

that’s true tho lol, but i do already have a PS4 slim

It's not terrible, but there are a lot that needs to change

what needs to be changed?

27 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Type Item Price
Other Blue Yeti $50.00
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $407.94

That is so similar to what I'm using. Same motherboard and ram. better processor though. I would switch the SSD with an M.2 drive, though. That motherboard has a port for that. It'll be better than a SATA SDD, but more expancive. For example, I can do a cold boot in about 5 seconds.

1 minute ago, Tedstonegenious said:

That is so similar to what I'm using. Same motherboard and ram. better processor though. I would switch the SSD with an M.2 drive, though. That motherboard has a port for that. You'll have to sacrifice the capacity of the drive a bit because M.2 is more expensive/GB, but your system will be soooo much more responsive if you put your OS on it. 

isnt m2 what laptops use too?

what processor do you have?

and is the motherboard good?

1 minute ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Here I'll make the list.

okay

if it goes too far above 400 you can downgrade RAM to 3000mhz

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

isnt m2 what laptops use too?

what processor do you have?

and is the motherboard good?

here is a link to a video that explains  M.2 

It is basically an SSD that is capable of becoming much faster than what SATA allows. I got a Corsair MP500 in my system, but I would go with SAMSUNG 960 pro, they are cheaper per GB

okay

if it goes too far above 400 you can downgrade RAM to 3000mhz

[PCPartPicker part list](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MLh3dX) / [Price breakdown by merchant](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MLh3dX/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8gKhP6/intel-pentium-g4560-35ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80677g4560) | $67.89 @ B&H 
**Motherboard** | [MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qjs8TW/msi-b250m-pro-vdh-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b250m-pro-vdh) | $49.99 @ B&H 
**Memory** | [G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BrYLrH/gskill-aegis-8gb-1-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-f4-2666c19s-8gis) | $55.99 @ Newegg 
**Storage** | [Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/btDzK8/kingston-a400-240gb-25-solid-state-drive-sa400s37240g) | $39.99 @ Amazon 
**Storage** | [Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex) | $43.94 @ Amazon 
**Video Card** | [ASRock - Radeon RX 570 4GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/H6m323/asrock-radeon-rx-570-4gb-phantom-gaming-x-video-card-rx570-4g-oc) | $152.00 @ Newegg 
**Case** | [Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dwsKHx/rosewill-case-fbm01) | $19.99 @ Amazon 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdRFf7/corsair-cx-2017-550w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na) | $32.98 @ Newegg 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | Total (before mail-in rebates) | $512.77
 | Mail-in rebates | -$50.00
 | **Total** | **$462.77**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2018-10-13 22:52 EDT-0400 |

Should run VR very well. That VS power supply is pretty bad.

i’d prefer to stick with AMD, or is Intel better? i’m not really looking into VR for pc yet, i just need something to get me started

1 minute ago, Tedstonegenious said:

It is basically an SSD that is capable of becoming much faster than what SATA allows.

You're confusing M.2 for NVMe.
M.2 is the connection type, and you can have both NVMe and SATA based SSDs with an M.2 connector. An M.2 SATA SSD has the same speed as a 2.5" SATA SSD.

2 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

**CPU** | [Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8gKhP6/intel-pentium-g4560-35ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80677g4560) | $67.89 @ B&H 

No. Just no. Please don't recommend anyone gets a dual core processor in 2018.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i’d prefer to stick with AMD, or is Intel better? i’m not really looking into VR for pc yet, i just need something to get me started

Intel is better at gaming, but it does depend on the CPU you're comparing to. The Pentium G4560 runs games just fine with it's 4 threads. The 2200G is also a good option, but it's $35 more.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No. Just no. Please don't recommend anyone gets a dual core processor in 2018.

He's just gaming.

2 minutes ago, Tedstonegenious said:

It is basically an SSD that is capable of becoming much faster than what SATA allows. I got a Corsair MP500 in my system, but I would go with SAMSUNG 960 pro, they are cheaper per GB

can i have the url? youtube videos don’t show for me

B46DB37C-312C-4B7E-B771-5CC59C310194.png

7 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

Intel's better instruction per clock performance makes them better for gaming. But Ryzen is also good for gaming. Especially on a budget.

5 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

can i have the url? youtube videos don’t show for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opwON-7J_wI&t=294s   

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

He's just gaming.

technically, gaming, recording that gaming, streaming (maybe) video editing, and game development..

but out recording gameplay will be my main one

Just now, Tedstonegenious said:

okay thAnks 

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

technically, gaming, recording that gaming, streaming (maybe) video editing, and game development..

okay thAnks 

Oh nevermind, go with Ryzen lol.

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

This

19 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i’d rather not go TOO far over $400..

Or this.

Pick one.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

This

Or this.

Pick one.

Eh, if he keeps the video editing light, and the game dev work. He can make it cut. But he'll definitely need more than 8G of ram

Just now, Spotty said:

This

Or this.

Pick one.

well game development isn’t intensive (much) my laptop with Celeron 2.16ghz 4gb DDR3 can run Unity 3d at about 30fps, blender also runs perfectly..

the budget is $400 FOR NOW, i will put something like an rx 580 in it later when i have more money.. this is just for me to dip my toes in PC life. 

when end i build it, i will start with benchmarks, testing games, then recording those games.. if that works i will do a live stream to see if THAT works.. i’m looking to play small games (csgo minimum -med settings, minecraft low settings, and indie games from itch.io)

again, my crappy laptop can edit videos with... okay... performance.. and this is MUCH better than my laptop.. so it should not have THAT bad of performance

2 minutes ago, Tedstonegenious said:

Eh, if he keeps the video editing light, and the game dev work. He can make it cut. But he'll definitely need more than 8G of ram

you think so? would 12gb work? 2 for Vega 11 until i buy a dedicated card?

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

well game development isn’t intensive (much) my laptop with Celeron 2.16ghz 4gb DDR3 can run Unity 3d at about 30fps, blender also runs perfectly..

the budget is $400 FOR NOW, i will put something like an rx 580 in it later when i have more money.. this is just for me to dip my toes in PC life. 

when end i build it, i will start with benchmarks, testing games, then recording those games.. if that works i will do a live stream to see if THAT works.. i’m looking to play small games (csgo minimum -med settings, minecraft low settings, and indie games from itch.io)

again, my crappy laptop can edit videos with... okay... performance.. and this is MUCH better than my laptop.. so it should not have THAT bad of performance

12 GB would offset the channels and getting a build with a 2200G with no dedicated graphics will be MILES better than that laptop.

12 Should be fine. But 16 will give you room to breathe. And I am not sure how good Vega is so I cannot say,

Just now, Tedstonegenious said:

12 Should be fine. But 16 will give you room to breathe. And I am not sure how good Vega is so I cannot say,

Oh yeah, vega isn't worth it for the value. Sure it's come down in price but also the 1070 and 1070 Ti, even in the used market.