Idea for the Ultimate Zombie Survival Game

With Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 having just been released, we have yet another version of Zombie Survival from the biggest game franchise of all. But what if you are sick of playing the same style of Zombie Survival that has been around now for nearly a decade?

Well, there are other options, however; CoD's Pack-A-Punch and Easter Eggs have made it one of the funnest Zombie Survival games ever to exist. Now I have my own idea for a Zombie Survival game that would not only be as fun as CoD's version, but also be more interesting and difficult such as more obsure Zombie Survival games like 7 Days to Die.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know the first thing about game development. I have no idea how to program, and I can't draw graphics worth anything. The only thing I could do is tell programmers what the levels and story should be like. So Im hoping a game developer notices this message one day and takes the project on because boy would this game be fun!

So, the Idea... In short, a cross between CoD style Zombies, 7 Days to Die, and a touch of DayZ. The idea is open-world MMO Zombie Survival, where you would be required to craft weapons, ammo, armor, shelter, and defenses (7 Days to Die Elements). However, the hunger and thirst element would be removed as this would make the game far too difficult when considering all the other elements to the game.

Unlike 7 Days to Die or DayZ, the zombies would be far more agressive and progress in strength, speed, and numbers as waves progress. Also, weapons would be upgradeable and one or two specialty weapons would be available through easter-egg completion (CoD Elements).

The players would spawn in a large open-world map similar to maps used in Battle Royale games like PUBG and Fortnite. Each player could focus on building their defences up or could focus on trying to kill other players for their resources (DayZ Elements). However, with the zombies actively seeking players like CoD, attacking other players would be extremely risky but yeild high rewards.

Finally, there would be two main game modes. The first would be a CoD style match, very fast paced and start to death would be finished in an hour or two. The other mode would be a persistent server, where you build up your saved game over time with other players, sort of like a 7 Days to Die Campaign.

Ive wondered about building a game like this for many years, what do you guys think?

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Minecraft... there are mods to make zombies the worst enemies you'd want to face.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

13 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Minecraft... there are mods to make zombies the worst enemies you'd want to face.

That’s what I thought. Minecraft but with aggressive zombies. (And hopefully good shooting) 

Cod did crafting and open world in transit with black ops 2. (More or less) 

it sounds like you have a poor sense of direction as 7 days is a slow paced long term game & you want to add in a fast paced arcade system into it. 

Destructable 3D environments are also some of the most tedious things to create. 

Also your 2 game modes should be 2 separate games imo. If you find a dev that likes your ideas & is willing to be commanded without being paid-good on you. 

Edit:

without a prototype & actually playing we can’t tell if it’s be good or bad though. Try learning a game engine, or modding something to see if it’d be fun. 7 days has mod tools & Minecraft made nonessential components open source & it’s already modable. There are lots of Minecraft moding tutorials on you tube. Try it out and let us know. 

Well I have played MineCraft and somehow it is just not my style of game. I tried playing for a few hours several times and I simply cannot get into it. The reason I want to add more of a fast paced Cod-like zombie system into 7 days to die is because that is exactly what 7 days to die was always missing.

In 7 Days to Die, day-time Zombie Hunting is nearly non-existent and during most nights, you avoid Zombies to stay alive as well. This makes the game seem more focused on straight up survival than actual combat.

Dont get me wrong, Ive been playing 7 Days to Die for years and I just picked up Black Ops 4 last night and both games are amazing and are worth the buy, but I feel like CoD is super "Arcade" while 7 Days to Die is super "Realism". What I mean by that is each game is too far in its own extreme direction when it comes to style of gameplay. So, why not have a balance of both that brings some nice realism to make a game very interesting, while also not being so realistic that the game is tedious and too difficult and complicated casual players?

I feel like a game perfectly balanced in both realism and arcade fun can be found by creating a hybrid of the games in open world MMO with other players. I think it would end up being the greatest Zombie game of all time. And while I understand that destructable 3D environments are very difficult to program into a game, look at all the games that have it. It is not unreasonable in this day in age to request destructable 3D environments in a game.

What I dont understand is the suggestion to make the two different game modes in to entirely seperate games. Why would you ever do that? I mean if you have the core campaign that plays similar to 7 Days to Die, then a simple copy-paste of the programming while changing only the pace of the gameplay and a few other details and wala, you have the other mode! It seems like developing an entirely new game for a copy-paste would be a rip-off for both the developers and the consumers.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread: