GPU Connector 6+6 pin instead of 8+6 pin??

Newbie0

Hi,

I've a rx 580 nitro+ 4 gb edition. It support 14 pin connector.  The problem is I've damaged the power connector of my GPU. Only 6 pin connectors are ok. Both 2 pin connetors are damaged.

Can I use two 6  pin to run the GPU? Or, do I have to connect at least one 2 pin connector?

I mean is it possible to use 6+6 pin instead of 8+6 pin?? 

Thanks.....

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

9 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

Going to need a picture of it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

How? is it easy to repair? i mean they are just pieces of metal that have to touch right?

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Streetguru Here is the picture,
in 1st picture i marked the wire which is damaged. And in 2nd picture the pins marked in yellow are connected with that wire. So now i'm  asking if i can use only the 6+6 pin (marked in green) for my 14 pin GPU. :( 

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

6 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

What power supply? Is it modular? As you can probably get a replacement cable from the company in that case

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, Howitz said:

How? is it easy to repair? 

I think that's not possible. first let me show you some image. 

Now see the damage is not so severe. Just the insulator got damaged. Wires are looking good. But if I connect GPU with this cable, GPU show "511 degree" problem. So i don't think it could be possible to repair. 

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What power supply? Is it modular? As you can probably get a replacement cable from the company in that case

Yes it is a modular power supply. Model is CM V750. But in my country replacement cable is not available. I can buy other cable but they are not good in quality. So i wonder if i can use 6+6 pin instead of 8+6 pin...

it should be fine, put some electrical tape on it.

the only way it ''could'' be problematic is if there was cut metal wires inside the cable (as you can see the wire is made of many smaller ones) If too much of them are cut then the current will suffer a greater resistance going trough the cable and generate more heat thus making the remaining metal wires potentially melt. (i am not aware of the potential effects of this issue on the hardware being powered trough this cable).

So yeah, if only the rubber insulating is damaged, put some isolating tape on that and call it a day.

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

it should be fine, put some electrical tape on it.

I will give it a try... But if i connect GPU with 6+6 pin, will it damage my GPU?

4 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

I will give it a try... But if i connect GPU with 6+6 pin, will it damage my GPU?

if your power supply is modular, then you will need the right cable that go with your power supply or one that you know the wiring is compatible (probably a lot of research to be sure). as if you use just any cable that didn't come with you PSU, chances are that the wiring in it and some electrical components that may be inside the cables will be incompatible and will damage your hardware.

As for the gpu, i would advise always plugging them with the required amount of pins (if it's 14 go for 14 in the proper configuration). It might be possible in some cases to go with less but i am not well informed on the matter, so if this is what you want to do then you will once again need to do some research on your particular graphics card model.

15 minutes ago, Newbie0 said:

Yes it is a modular power supply. Model is CM V750. But in my country replacement cable is not available. I can buy other cable but they are not good in quality. So i wonder if i can use 6+6 pin instead of 8+6 pin...

You wouldn't want to buy a third party cable, but are you sure they don't offer warranty service?

If you just stripped the wire a bit so long as you cover it up you're probably fine using the 8 pin connectors

you can't damage your GPU by only putting 6 pins in, it might work, just don't do any extreme overclocking, an RX 580 doesn't even need all of those connectors.

Spoiler