Why do people ask "What?" after a question and still answer it?

Jagzz

What?

It's usually just a habit to give them some time to think about an answer. 

or they're nervous/awkward 

Error: 410

Because they do not properly hear so the initial reaction is to say what but in the time they are saying what their brain has pieced together what you have said from the bits they have heard and the context of the conversation.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

Your not sure you heard right and say what? and then you say the thing.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

What do you mean exactly?

Person 1: Did you watch the video Linus uploaded yesterday?

Person 2: What? Oh, yea i did.

Because they don't get it then it just suddenly clicks and they have an answer, and most times the questions are worded very strange.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I guess the person instead of saying "uhmm" they say "what" because they are probably tired or thinking of something else. I don't notice it when someone asks a simple question though

Sometimes it is because the person was listening, but not really thinking about the question. So they say what, then they think about the question, and then they respond.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

My football coach would make people run for doing this. He thinks it's rude. He would say, "Don't you what me!"

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

If I do it, it would be to convey that I don't understand completely what the person is asking, but I want to answer the question I "think" they are asking.

i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB | Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Toshiba 7200rpm 3TB | Seasonic 660W Platinum | Corsair H100i

Logitech G400s | Ducky Shine III Cherry MX Brown

They're not paying attention lol. 

My football coach would make people run for doing this. He thinks it's rude. He would say, "Don't you what me!"

TAKE OFF

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M