I Can't Get My PC to Start

Aaron Burkett

I came back from a trip to my brothers college on Monday, October 8th, at 9:00pm.  I went over to my PC, pressed the power button, and it made a beep it always does, then my monitors lights went from orange, went to blue, and the monitor said No Signal, and the lights went back to orange.  I checked too see what could have been the problem to eliminate variables. I tried to four different monitors with four different cables(hdmi, vga, dvi, and display port) and the problem persisted.  My motherboard doesn't have dedicated graphics unfortunately, and i don't have another working graphics card to see if mine is broken.  The lights and fans spin on boot, so theres a chance the GPU might not be the problem.  Someone please help soon, thanks in advance. Also I made a PC Partpicker list of my specs: 

15393826760337188808280886326165.jpg

15393828008584379893466272994676.jpg

15393828486357875117811469212276.jpg

1539383016734423802063957823199.jpg

reset bios
unplug needless hardware that isn't needed for posting such as extra ram sticks and drives/cards
basic bench test stuff

Clear the CMOS using the jumpers

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I tried reseting the bios, and clearing my CMOS with jumpers, and it still wont work.

Just tried it with each of the four sticks twice, and it still doesnt turn on.

Are there any red error lights on your motherboard? What do they say?

Yes, there is a button labeled,' DRAM_LED MemOK!' And it flashes red twice when i boot it.

15397328729668819503485331526276.jpg

11 minutes ago, Aaron Burkett said:

Yes, there is a button labeled,' DRAM_LED MemOK!' And it flashes red twice when i boot it.

15397328729668819503485331526276.jpg

Ok I'll just clarify a few things for you.

1. DRAM_LED is an indicator letting you know if there is an issue with your memory. If it flashes twice, that does not mean there is necessarily an error. If it was solid red it would suggest there was an error.
  2. MemOK! is a button you can press to help troubleshoot and work around RAM incompatibility or RAM-related issues that is not causing the motherboard to post.
  3. I notice you have the RAM in slots next to each other, it is general PC building practice to separate the RAM, particularly when using 2 sticks of RAM as you are. The below images is from Asus themselves.

Image result for recommended memory configurations

Hopefully this is helpful.

If you maybe see any solid red LEDs on the board that might help us troubleshoot more so.

I know about the ram placement, i usually have two hyperx sticks next to each other then some random pair i found next to that. I was just testing the sticks.  So would you recomend me buying new ram? Or just troubleshooting these? Sorry i'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. Thanks for all of your help so far.

6 minutes ago, Aaron Burkett said:

I know about the ram placement, i usually have two hyperx sticks next to each other then some random pair i found next to that. I was just testing the sticks.  So would you recomend me buying new ram? Or just troubleshooting these? Sorry i'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Don't apologise we're all here to help and learn. ?

It's still tough to tell, can you try and unplug all unessential components? So in this case it would be any peripherals aside from mouse and keyboard and also removing any extra drives. Just so we can see if it will post.

When you do this are all the fans spinning and does everything seem functional?

Do you have access to another PSU? I wonder if yours got killed by current spikes. I get that youre seeing LEDs light up, but if a capacitor got fried, it may not be able to supply the power surge needed to start everything on powering on.

Honestly there is no easy way to troubleshoot something like this other than trying to replace things piece by piece. 

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Right now i am very busy and have not been near my pc to make the test bench, so i will need some time.  

When i turn it on it doesn't post.

When it is turned on everything does seem functional, and all of the fans and lights turn on.

I do infact have 2 extra PSUs lying around, i can try to use them.

Thank you guys so much for the help.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:05 PM, Aaron Burkett said:

Right now i am very busy and have not been near my pc to make the test bench, so i will need some time.  

When i turn it on it doesn't post.

When it is turned on everything does seem functional, and all of the fans and lights turn on.

I do infact have 2 extra PSUs lying around, i can try to use them.

Thank you guys so much for the help.

Try a different PSU and let us know if it works. 

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Just put in a new PSU and a new CMOS battery, the problem hasnt gone away.  There is still one short burst of red light, then a long burst coming from the DRAM LED.  

On 10/23/2018 at 5:15 AM, Aaron Burkett said:

Just put in a new PSU and a new CMOS battery, the problem hasnt gone away.  There is still one short burst of red light, then a long burst coming from the DRAM LED.  

So we know it’s not a PSU related issue. That’s a good step. DRAM LED is not solid so that indicates that it’s not necessarily an issue with RAM.

Sorry remind me, are the fans spinning when you turn the PC on? If they aren’t, it’s could an issue related to CPU or Motherboard.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, Aaron Burkett said:

All of the fans do spin when it turns on.

Ok, well the 1060 is a pretty recent card so I doubt that's the issue. My guess is the CPU is no longer working. If there's a friend or someone you could take the 1060 to to test it, maybe put it in a friends build or take it to a repair place and see what they say. If the 1060 is fine, it's either a motherboard or CPU problem...