my case got electric current

asd2000

hi all

i got a new pc built it and everything working fine but lately i noticed that some parts of my case got weak electric flow (screws-io shield-gpu shield)

it is nothing serious it just tingle a bit i live in an old house i got no grounding and using 2 prongs outlets

i checked mobo to see if i installed it right and no problems but i noticed that standoffs also got that weak electric current
so could the mobo be responsible for this as it is connected to case through those metal standoffs

i have been running this pc for about a week nearly 24/7 with no problems at all but i want to know if this ungrounded case can cause damage to my components

thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, asd2000 said:

hi all

i got a new pc built it and everything working fine but lately i noticed that some parts of my case got weak electric flow (screws-io shield-gpu shield)

it is nothing serious it just tingle a bit i live in an old house i got no grounding and using 2 prongs outlets

i checked mobo to see if i installed it right and no problems but i noticed that standoffs also got that weak electric current
so could the mobo be responsible for this as it is connected to case through those metal standoffs

i have been running this pc for about a week nearly 24/7 with no problems at all but i want to know if this ungrounded case can cause damage to my components

thanks in advance

This is a serious issue check the psu the psu is already grounded since it has a third prong. Make sure there is nothing out of the order

1 minute ago, Lordclouds said:

This is a serious issue check the psu the psu is already grounded due for the third prong. Make sure there is nothing out of the order

psu power cable is also 2 prongs

i checked to see if it is leaking power but when i touch it i feel nothing
it is BitFenix Whisper 650w so i think it is a good quality one

i suspect that mobo is making electricity flow to the case through metal standoffs and i feel it cause the case is ungrounded so current stays in case

1 minute ago, asd2000 said:

psu power cable is also 2 prongs

i checked to see if it is leaking power but when i touch it i feel nothing
it is BitFenix Whisper 650w so i think it is a good quality one

i suspect that mobo is making electricity flow to the case through metal standoffs and i feel it cause the case is ungrounded so current stays in case

Did you use the motherboard stands?

what do you mean it has an electric current? You case should be sorta grounded through the neutral prong on a 2 prong plug into the wall.

ASU

yes all of them in place mobo is working without problems

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

what do you mean it has an electric current? You case should be sorta grounded through the neutral prong on a 2 prong plug into the wall.

i got no ground power cable for my house

Just now, asd2000 said:

i got no ground power cable for my house

Image result for 2 prong us power cord wiring

The neutral is a return and sorta functions as a ground in two prong systems. It's not a proper ground lug, but it allows current to flow. Just touching  your computer case, you shouldn't be able to feel any current. Maybe you're feeling a static shock? 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Image result for 2 prong us power cord wiring

The neutral is a return and sorta functions as a ground in two prong systems. It's not a proper ground lug, but it allows current to flow. Just touching  your computer case, you shouldn't be able to feel any current. Maybe you're feeling a static shock? 

it isn't static i think

it is a continuous current i would put my finger on a case screw for as much time and still feel it
but as i said before i have no problems with my system till now

it isn't static i think

it is a continuous current i would put my finger on a case screw for as much time and still feel it

Is your PC set up on a desk? Do you have a lot of carpet? When you touch your internal, are you wearing socks on a carpet flooring? Is the outlet old?

it isn't static i think

You shouldn't be able to feel anything if you're just touching one point on the computer unless some how ac is connected to your case. That would cause other problems befusee you would connect some voltage source directly to ground in your motherboard through the standoffs which would fry something. I don't want to discredit what you're saying, but what you're describing sounds impossible to my knowledge of electronics. 

ASU

8 minutes ago, DVA said:

Is your PC set up on a desk? Do you have a lot of carpet? When you touch your internal, are you wearing socks on a carpet flooring? Is the outlet old?

my pc is on desk i don't have a lot of carpet i can feel the current when i am bare footed standing on tiles and yes the outlet is old and the house doesn't have grounding

On 10/12/2018 at 8:46 AM, asd2000 said:

got no grounding and using 2 prongs outlets

That's why. 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's why. 

so is that dangerous for my components ?

1 hour ago, asd2000 said:

so is that dangerous for my components ?

No. Unless you have a surge come in.  Without earth ground, a surge could kill everything.  

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

No. Unless you have a surge come in.  Without earth ground, a surge could kill everything.  

thanks for your help sir

so if it is not possible to rewire the house and make it grounded

is there any easy way to ground my case and somehow protect it ?

Move.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Move.

wish i could do that

if i used ups would it be any useful for me ?

On 10/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, asd2000 said:

it isn't static i think

Then you should ask an electrician to look at your installation and check if the ground is present.

Because either the Ground is not present or you have a fault voltage due to a break in the line.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

there might be a cable touching a current module or current path which is making the case pass electric current through it.