ethernet cable length

naokuronao

Hello, today I was testing my 30m ethernet cable. I noticed during a Link speed diagnostic test, it mentions the cable length to be 66m even though my cable is 30m. Is it normal for it to show double the length of the physical cable?

that doesnt sound right, but if the cable has the bandwidth expected i wouldnt be *too* worried about it.

I wouldn't expect a nic to be that accurate.  

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

If its any consolation my Asus ROG STRIX Z370-I BIOS cable testing is completely awol.

It keeps telling me certain pins aren't connected at all, but in both Windows and Linux I get perfect Gigabit, so clearly its confused.  Although maybe that's because I have it plugged straight into another PC rather than a Switch, but I don't see why.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

that doesnt sound right, but if the cable has the bandwidth expected i wouldnt be *too* worried about it.

Thanks for the reply! It did pass the diagnostic testing apparently, I tried a few times and sometimes it goes up to 68 meters. It's a ca6 ethernet cable connected to a gigabit lan from my pc to my router. It does say 1Gbps.

2 hours ago, beersykins said:

I wouldn't expect a nic to be that accurate.  

Thanks for the reply! So is it best to ignore it? So far connection speed seems to be okay.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If its any consolation my Asus ROG STRIX Z370-I BIOS cable testing is completely awol.

It keeps telling me certain pins aren't connected at all, but in both Windows and Linux I get perfect Gigabit, so clearly its confused.  Although maybe that's because I have it plugged straight into another PC rather than a Switch, but I don't see why.

Thanks for the reply! That is very strange. My motherboard is also from Asus. I'm using the X99 ROG Strix which is the gigabit lan on it that I'm using right now. Earlier I also had a problem where the first time I connected it only had a bandwidth of 100Mbps until I replugged it, it goes back up to its maximum 1Gbps.

depending on the type of cable the maximum length ethernet should be is 100m. anything under that will not have any detriment to speed/signal constancy due to cable length and any problems will be relate to the cable wires or connectors.. So as long as it's working as intended, there's no need to worry

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, naokuronao said:

Thanks for the reply! That is very strange. My motherboard is also from Asus. I'm using the X99 ROG Strix which is the gigabit lan on it that I'm using right now. Earlier I also had a problem where the first time I connected it only had a bandwidth of 100Mbps until I replugged it, it goes back up to its maximum 1Gbps.

Yeah typically I'd expect something like that to be reasonably reliable.  Still, as long as it works correctly with no unexpected errors or latency.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7