Anyone tried ceramic coating on a phone?

Sharif

The oleophobic coating my LG G6 has worn out a lot compared to when it was fresh, I can just grab a screen protector now with a oleophobic coating on it and it'll last for a good year and I can keep swapping them to keep it fresh.

Spoiler

Obama.thumb.jpg.aac7b77077095d3b4e4fe29897e0477f.jpg

Logical way aside I was thinking, the ceramic coating people use for their cars that also doesn't let water settle on it and I assume also reduces fingerprints, can you use that as oleophobic coating of sort? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

On 10/11/2018 at 4:47 PM, James Evens said:

I don't know if lotus leaf coating are durable enough.

What i can tell you that other liquid display protections which are not using the lotus effect slightly decrease the chance of breaking the glass and only last around 6 month before they wear out.

But that's quite better than the smudgy mess once there is no coating on the screen 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Why not just buy a kit to put a new coating on your phone's screen?

Like this thing

https://www.amazon.ca/Crystal-Armor-Fingerprint-Oleophobic-Coating/dp/B00LKYW6M0

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Why not just buy a kit to put a new coating on your phone's screen?

Like this thing

https://www.amazon.ca/Crystal-Armor-Fingerprint-Oleophobic-Coating/dp/B00LKYW6M0

I thought about it but it's just seems more sensible to just grab a screen protector with it already applied on it plus get the benefit of screen protector.

I made this thread out curiosity mainly if anyone had it lying around and gave it a try 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Ceramic coating used in the detailing industruy is surely not cheap enough to consider for something like this is it?

A 5ml bottle that I used for my wheels cost £20, how much are you paying for your screen protectors currently?

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

Ceramic coating used in the detailing industruy is surely not cheap enough to consider for something like this is it?

A 5ml bottle that I used for my wheels cost £20, how much are you paying for your screen protectors currently?

Well aware, the car side of me was just curious if it works good as or even better than the factory oleophobic coating 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

In my experience the ceramic coating simply makes the surface easier to clean, not necessarily giving the high beading finish that you're after. I mean it can in some situations, but generally there are other better products for that.  And I'm not sure how well the'd last with the repetitive contact nature of a phone screen.

The brake dust cleans off my wheels with ease, but they rarely exhibit signs of beading whilst they're being cleaned. The product I used was G-techniq C5.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷