Can I redownload on SSD?

GarageMan
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

You can clone your HDD to SSD and no install needed.

If you're hdd is bigger than the ssd (like most do), match the size of the boot partition to the size of the ssd.

And then clone the drive.

But a fresh install to the new one will be much quicker and cleaner, if you don't mind reinstalling all the apps.

Usually a change on the storage won't trigger new activation, even if it did, just call microsoft to reset your activation.

I've done this many times.

Sorry if this is a bit too vague, I understand, but I have a version of windows 10 that works fine on my HDD, but im considering an SSD. My copy is windows 10,  used a USB and key, but it's not the normal one exactly... can I check somehow if this will work?

Once you've activated Windows on your computer, the Microsoft servers will remember that so you can reinstall on that "same hardware" (minor changes like RAM, GPU, SSD/HDD don't matter) and it will reactivate automatically.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

51 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Once you've activated Windows on your computer, the Microsoft servers will remember that so you can reinstall on that "same hardware" (minor changes like RAM, GPU, SSD/HDD don't matter) and it will reactivate automatically.

thats great thanks 

You can clone your HDD to SSD and no install needed.

If you're hdd is bigger than the ssd (like most do), match the size of the boot partition to the size of the ssd.

And then clone the drive.

But a fresh install to the new one will be much quicker and cleaner, if you don't mind reinstalling all the apps.

Usually a change on the storage won't trigger new activation, even if it did, just call microsoft to reset your activation.

I've done this many times.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w