6TB HDD Unallocated

CC268
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
21 minutes ago, CC268 said:

Is it best to just create a new simple volume for the whole 6TB? I don't see a reason to create multiple partitions...

Matter of taste, no technical reason to create multiple partitions. If you want a single 6TB partition, then go for it.

Hey guys,

Just got a 6TB HDD for backing up my video files, etc. Hooked up through a SATA dock, set it up as a GPT partition and now the drive says unallocated. Is it best to just create a new simple volume for the whole 6TB? I don't see a reason to create multiple partitions...

Silly question, but it's been a while since I have done this.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

21 minutes ago, CC268 said:

Is it best to just create a new simple volume for the whole 6TB? I don't see a reason to create multiple partitions...

Matter of taste, no technical reason to create multiple partitions. If you want a single 6TB partition, then go for it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I agree about multiple partitions. While there are valid reasons for having multiple partitions on a drive (such as separating System files from data files), partitions are very inefficient for organizing data. Folders are far better.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!