Need your opinion about Lenovo Y530 and Dell G5

Hello guys, 

I'm a graphic designer and my mainly programs are photoshop & illustrator. I also play games but not that much.  My current laptop is lenovo Z50-70.

I have been searching for both laptops. They got same specs (Lenovo Y530 / Dell G5):

i7 8750H

16 GB ram 

1050 IT 

60hz

What I like in Y530 is the keyboard that's much better than the g5, thin bezel and cables at the back . But I heard some issues in Y530 about Build quality and thermal throttling. If someone used any of them; could you please give me your opinion.

i own a y520, the build is decent and actually it has already survived a full year of being moved around from home to school and back, in my backpack every day.
as for thermals... i have never seen mine throttle.

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

40 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

But I heard some issues in Y530 about Build quality and thermal throttling

Check my review. TLDR: both aspects are fine, definitely not terrible

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Where are you from? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Check my review. TLDR: both aspects are fine, definitely not terrible

I'm from Egypt. budget will be 1300$ according to our currency (24,000 EGP). I don't mind short battery life as I always got my cable with me. We don't have Asus or MSI or Acer here. So, I just got Dell, Lenovo and HP (I don't like :) ).

Also, as you have mentioned about fingerprint it's too bad! didn't like how it looks when I just touch my hair and then try to type on the keyboard or using the mouse pad.

Unless you're running Prime95, you shouldn't see much throttle.

hi.

57 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

I'm from Egypt

Also, as you have mentioned about fingerprint it's too bad! didn't like how it looks when I just touch my hair and then try to type on the keyboard or using the mouse pad.

Any links of online stores?

It's fine for me since I already experienced in with my previous Y520. Just make sure you bring along a microfiber cloth with you and wipe it frequently

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Any links of online stores?

It's fine for me since I already experienced in with my previous Y520. Just make sure you bring along a microfiber cloth with you and wipe it frequently

Y530:

https://compume.com.eg/en/lenovo-legion-y530-15ich-bk-intel-core-i7-8750h-8th-colen81fv00d6ax?filter_name=y530

G5:

https://compume.com.eg/en/dell-5587-black-intel-core-i7-8750h-8th-codel5587-i7-16-1-256?filter_name=dell 5587

31 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Unless you're running Prime95, you shouldn't see much throttle.

Not with the new 8th gen mobile chips. Power throttling will occur in every 8th gen laptops (including KBL-R) without undervolting. Thermal throttling is very common too, this occur even in medium load in some cases.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Hmm looks like these 2 are the best options. If you want slightly better cooling (just slightly) and slightly better build quality (lid in G5 isn't as good as Y530, but G5 wins in keyboard area), go for G5. If you want better portability, better design (compact, subtle) and better keyboard, go for Y530. Sadly though, you can't customize the Y530, otherwise you can get 144Hz IPS panel with 1050TI config.

Keep in mind that undervolt is a must and repaste is highly recommended.

Not sure whether the G5 has TB3 or not. Nevertheless, it's a nice to have feature

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Hmm looks like these 2 are the best options. If you want slightly better cooling (just slightly) and slightly better build quality (lid in G5 isn't as good as Y530, but G5 wins in keyboard area), go for G5. If you want better portability, better design (compact, subtle) and better keyboard, go for Y530. Sadly though, you can't customize the Y530, otherwise you can get 144Hz IPS panel with 1050TI config.

Keep in mind that undervolt is a must and repaste is highly recommended.

Not sure whether the G5 has TB3 or not. Nevertheless, it's a nice to have feature

Is it absolutely necessary to do that? As I'm scared of messing with the device and screw it. Also, I will have to undervolt and repaste in both? 

The g5 got TB3 but that's not a strength point for me to get the G5.

9 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

Is it absolutely necessary to do that?

Highly recommended since CFL-H runs hot. Many users gain 10-20C reduction in CPU temp after repaste (not LM, just regular good non conductive paste).

10 minutes ago, Islam Soliman said:

As I'm scared of messing with the device and screw it. Also, I will have to undervolt and repaste in both? 

Follow the steps, be careful and make sure you discharge static (not a big deal actually, just for peace of mind).

Yes both are recommended. Undervolting is relatively easier to do.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler