Will below 144fps on a 144hz monitor look choppy?

mxk

I've been looking at a Samsung curved 144hz monitor (4ms response time) and a flat Asus 144hz monitor (1ms response time) and I'm probably going to go with the Samsung since it has better colors despite not having freesync like the Asus. My computer isn't the best, its a 2-3 year old mATX build with a amd-a8 6600k with a gtx 960 2gb. Its only still holding up since I play ultra low settings in 4:3 for the games that my pc can't handle. I'm buying 144hz since I'll be upgrading in a few months after getting the monitor.

Now, the main question, since my games usually run below 144fps, will they look choppy on the 144hz monitor? 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Only if the framerate is inconsistent. If it varies wildly from 100 to 144, you won't like it, but if it holds steady at 120, it's good.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Only if the framerate is inconsistent. If it varies wildly from 100 to 144, you won't like it, but if it holds steady at 120, it's good.

I'll probably be underclocking the monitor until I get a new pc, or can I v-sync lock my fps to help

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I'll probably be underclocking the monitor until I get a new pc, or can I v-sync lock my fps to help

Depending on what brand you get, "underclocking" may or may not be available, but you can probably set v-sync.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Depending on what brand you get, "underclocking" may or may not be available, but you can probably set v-sync.

I'll make sure I look into it, thanks for the help!

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

6 minutes ago, TomatoSenpai said:

I really suggest to first upgrade your PC and then buy a monitor, greetings comrade.

My brother went off to college and took the old main monitor, so I'm stuck borrowing my dad's old dell when I can. My parents also told me that I can buy a nice, shiny new monitor when black friday rolls around because they want me to use as little of my savings as possible. My savings doesn't fund a new pc, even on black friday. My parents told me a pc is something I can probably get for christmas. My parents aren't big on gaming and they're kind of strict so the monitor comes first and the pc second. 

Sorry if this was a lot I felt like explaining because this was kind of a rant too.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra