My rant about Michael from Mayhem

Moav

Here's my correspondence with him tell me maybe I'm wrong:

Me:

Hi Michael,

As you can see the rad reservoir is thin, small and perpendicular to the fins and tunnels. I need to find material that could stop the part 1 acid from exiting. Maybe I could drown the whole rad in the solvent? or block the inlet-outlet side with a moldable paste that you know of. I've got available at my factory takky tape, epoxy resin, and Teflon tapes (composite materials contractor).

Appreciate your time and effort!

Moav

3.jpg.32c2cc1c513f2abd669a78875873f8db.jpg
4.jpg.9e521394db294606bf17561cc47f4ac6.jpg
Michael:

Oky wow. We have not see a Rad like that before. It looks to be copper.

I would be very careful about cleaning that out. Nothing looks normal on it. Maybe just flush it and leave the top off, just be careful.

Michael L Wood

Director

Me:

It is not copper:

5.png.69062bffbe6e696887436b0d8385d01e.png

The only copper is the louvers which is outside the loop (fins),

Please tell me what materials I could use. Pretty please, with sugar on top.

Best regards,

Him:

Ah brass tube. Oky you’ll be fine with acid cleaning but as for the capping … im stumped. If you use a normal cap it will block the outgoing port.

I can say I have never seen anything like this before its very unusual.

Me:

Here's a list of acids and other liquids with a list of basic materials and their chemical resistance. -> http://www.quickcutgasket.com/pdf/Chemical-Resistance-Chart.pdf

Give me your best fit if you can,

Me again:

I cannot use a cap because there's no threading. I need to block it with paste or soft material or maybe epoxy resin. The other side of this hole is another reservoir with a pump integrated so  I had to get them out of the loop. Please understand me, I've a weird product and already paid for yours.

Thanks again.

Him:

Im really sorry we cannot help, if I was you id speak to swiftech they should be able to help you.

Me:

No, swiftech has nothing to do with your cleaning solvent. you know your own formula unless you stolen it from the nearby factory. This is not an acceptable answer.

Him:

Enjoy you product don’t forget as long as its not open you can send it back for a full refund.

Your links are all broken since you tried to hotlink from gmail and they don't support that.

Try uploading them directly to the forum, or copying and pasting the image (not the image link) that would achieve the same result.

Can't see the photos but it sounds like you are using some kind of uncommon rad/res 2-in-1 type product? In that case it looks like he's just telling you he doesn't have a safe answer for you. If he took a guess and it ended up damaging your stuff that would be even worse, so don't be so hard on the guy, it's likely he just doesn't want his products or advice to mess up your stuff. I'm pretty sure blitz part 1 is designed for use with conventional radiators only, so it's probably best not to use it if there is no simple way to prevent it from getting in the reservoir. That said, I can't see the pictures so I don't know for sure.

It might be best to flush with warm/hot water multiple times instead, followed by a couple of distilled water flushes. That's what I do until no more debris comes out.

I see no issue with his response. Your last statement however was rather ...well 'rude'.

"No, swiftech has nothing to do with your cleaning solvent. you know your own formula unless you stolen it from the nearby factory. This is not an acceptable answer."

Thats just ...no. You could have said somthing like.

"Im asking you becouse its to do with your Solvent. I want to know if you think your solvent is safe to use with this radiator"

What you said seems rather insulting and demanding tbh.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I've got frustrated because it wasn't the first time I've tried contacting them with the same answer as if I'm trying to steal his formula, dismissing me to another company which has nothing to do with this issue. "He has never seen a rad like that" wow, that's why I'm contacting you because it is a different but still closed loop which is common but upgradable. All I needed is kind of material that won't dissolve in the solvent because I've got holes which won't contain the liquid for 1 minute let alone 6 hours.

53 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I see no issue with his response. Your last statement however was rather ...well 'rude'.

"No, swiftech has nothing to do with your cleaning solvent. you know your own formula unless you stolen it from the nearby factory. This is not an acceptable answer."

Thats just ...no. You could have said somthing like.

"Im asking you becouse its to do with your Solvent. I want to know if you think your solvent is safe to use with this radiator"

What you said seems rather insulting and demanding tbh.

Perhaps, but do you really think his answers were thoughtful and helpful rather than disassociating?

He is a chemist Dr. who invented this solvent. He should know what materials I could use that sustain the liquid inside.

1 hour ago, Zammin said:

Can't see the photos but it sounds like you are using some kind of uncommon rad/res 2-in-1 type product? In that case it looks like he's just telling you he doesn't have a safe answer for you. If he took a guess and it ended up damaging your stuff that would be even worse, so don't be so hard on the guy, it's likely he just doesn't want his products or advice to mess up your stuff. I'm pretty sure blitz part 1 is designed for use with conventional radiators only, so it's probably best not to use it if there is no simple way to prevent it from getting in the reservoir. That said, I can't see the pictures so I don't know for sure.

It might be best to flush with warm/hot water multiple times instead, followed by a couple of distilled water flushes. That's what I do until no more debris comes out.

Thanks buddy. You do have a point although I can take his advice with him wavering out his advice. He could have said, let us try a few experiments for you and for future people with that kind of rad for widening his clientele. This is not the customer support I would wish for any company.

10 hours ago, Moav said:

Thanks buddy. You do have a point although I can take his advice with him wavering out his advice. He could have said, let us try a few experiments for you and for future people with that kind of rad for widening his clientele. This is not the customer support I would wish for any company.

Michael is generally a nice guy in my experience, he is quite active in the Mayhems thread over on OCN. I don't think he was dodging giving you advice, he probably just didn't have a safe answer as he doesn't know anything about the radiator combo you have.

He might look into it now that he is aware (he didn't seem to know about your swiftech 2-in-1 before now by the looks of it) or he might not have the capacity for it since it would be a very small part of his customer base that have that specific radiator and want to use blitz part 1. You could ask Swiftech about it if you wanted to, I asked EK about blitz and they were able to give me their reasoning for why they don't recommend it with their products. Although it would be much easier to just do a regular hot water flush than going to all this trouble for a workaround with blitz. You could probably still use part 2 and that would be better than nothing if you're dead set on blitz. I think part 2 is safe for reservoirs.

Alternatively, can you remove the reservoir from the rad? I don't know what it looks like but I would assume there is a way to disassemble it? Even conventional radiators can be dismantled to a point. Perhaps you could post some pictures of your product and we could try and help?

Appreciate your answer Zammin, maybe he's not verbal as you, that kind of reasoning I can accept better as a customer.

Unfortunately, I've disassembled all I can from the rad, the rest is welded shut.

What other products you know about that is similar to part1 solvent? maybe I could ask them about it.

1 minute ago, Moav said:

Appreciate your answer Zammin, maybe he's not verbal as you, that kind of reasoning I can accept better as a customer.

Unfortunately, I've disassembled all I can from the rad, the rest is welded shut.

What other products you know about that is similar to part1 solvent? maybe I could ask them about it.

What radiator are you using, and what exactly happened did it react badly? As for part 1 in their blitz kit for cleaning rads it's phosphoric acid that etches the interior surfaces, the old school way is to use regular old vingear.  

12 minutes ago, Moav said:

please post a picture of this Rad/Res combo unit please.

Links are still not working i cant seem to google the swiftech part you speak of, and  now i am really curious as to what you are working with.

8 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

please post a picture of this Rad/Res combo unit please.

Links are still not working i cant seem to google the swiftech part you speak of, and  now i am really curious as to what you are working with.

How come I can open them in incognito mode then? I will upload it to some cloud based soon. This is Swiftech H220-X.

1 minute ago, Moav said:

How come I can open them in incognito mode then?

perhaps you still have the original photos in cache to display.

i will google the model, thank you

2 minutes ago, Moav said:

How come I can open them in incognito mode then? I will upload it to some cloud based soon. This is Swiftech H220-X.

Try directly uploading them to the site looks like it's redirecting back to the gmail account itself.

So it's an AIO that can be expanded, that makes sense,  here i was envisioning something i cant even put to words.

i would be cautious of using the blitz cleaning solutions in any AIO (expandable)   since AIO's are sold as whole units its hard to ensure that an acidic solution would have no effect on a mixed metals loop, if you cant ensure you have a  pure copper/brass  system.  

If you still want to clean it, i would use a Heated vinegar (heating it up will help clean your rad)   and then  do a water flush and then distilled flush, and  if your concerned about leaving any vinegar behind add in a baking soda rise to neutralize  any remaining vinegar after first rinse, then rinse again with just water before distilled.

1 hour ago, Neo-revo said:

i would be cautious of using the blitz cleaning solutions in any AIO (expandable)   since AIO's are sold as whole units its hard to ensure that an acidic solution would have no effect on a mixed metals loop, if you cant ensure you have a  pure copper/brass  system.  

If you still want to clean it, i would use a Heated vinegar (heating it up will help clean your rad)   and then  do a water flush and then distilled flush, and  if your concerned about leaving any vinegar behind add in a baking soda rise to neutralize  any remaining vinegar after first rinse, then rinse again with just water before distilled.

Would rather avoid using vinegar at this point maybe if hopeless. Appreciate the info I might use it.

Re uploaded the photos for demonstrating purposes. Investigated the rad materials, ST say it is a brass tunnels and pre-reservoir. So I should be safe.

8 hours ago, Moav said:

Would rather avoid using vinegar at this point maybe if hopeless. Appreciate the info I might use it.

Re uploaded the photos for demonstrating purposes. Investigated the rad materials, ST say it is a brass tunnels and pre-reservoir. So I should be safe. 

if you have it to that state you can use the blitz in it,

i see what you mean about holes, there is 3 to fill, are the ones that connect to the rad threaded or just compression sealed with orings?

if you can set that rad the sway you have it with tubes and  fittings there is no reason you cant run the diluted part1 through that. 

i cant tell if its possible to thread a g1/4 into the other holes though

that looks like a modified top that they made to accommodate the res and the fin shroud confirms it.

if its made with the same specs as their other rads, it will handle the acid solution when properly diluted.

I have and run some rads in the ST MCR line, but  they are OLD and not the x20 model.  i have run the blitz after using the Auora nano fluid.

they still hold water, one is from my original DIY wc kit i got off NCIX..  the other about half the age. so i would say that it is safe to use as directed if want

Then i thought just use CLR that cleans like a boss, the grease one.  i  got a cupboard of chemicals that if used right are amazing.

just go through the same super rinse procedure again. maybe even set  some tubes to force water through as a rinse, then  drain and rinse with poured distilled  before reassembly

11 hours ago, Moav said:

Oh ok that port on the inside is not threaded it requires a bolt on barbed 90 on it for it to seal, what you can do is reinstall the fitting and use a short length of tubing and to then plug it. As for cleaning your best option would be to use vingear or try the blitz cleaning solution again, it won't be an issue since it's brass and copper based. 

On 10/7/2018 at 10:39 PM, W-L said:

Oh ok that port on the inside is not threaded it requires a bolt on barbed 90 on it for it to seal, what you can do is reinstall the fitting and use a short length of tubing and to then plug it. As for cleaning your best option would be to use vingear or try the blitz cleaning solution again, it won't be an issue since it's brass and copper based. 

I am worried the acid would dissolve the tube/fitting into the rad. That is why it is not recommended for the whole loop. I would be happier plugging just the 1 hole which is not threaded, I'm going to make a coned shaped plug from epoxy which should have a good tolerance to this acid according to this chart: http://www.quickcutgasket.com/pdf/Chemical-Resistance-Chart.pdf

Will come back with result for future interest. Thanks Y'all!

2 hours ago, Moav said:

I am worried the acid would dissolve the tube/fitting into the rad. That is why it is not recommended for the whole loop. I would be happier plugging just the 1 hole which is not threaded, I'm going to make a coned shaped plug from epoxy which should have a good tolerance to this acid according to this chart: http://www.quickcutgasket.com/pdf/Chemical-Resistance-Chart.pdf

Will come back with result for future interest. Thanks Y'all!

The tubing won’t mind, if the fitting is nickel plated it may strip the plating off the interior but the base metal is still brass or copper like the rad. You can always look for rubber stoppers of various size like the chemistry work.

3 hours ago, Moav said:

I am worried the acid would dissolve the tube/fitting into the rad.

diluted properly the solution wont eat the brass end cap part.   or it wouldn't be safe to put into the whole thing and clean the inside of the tubes. and the little exposure to the tubing if you used it to fill would  only have a minimal effect at diluted levels,

The extreme caution should only be taken if you cant confirm the alloy used or if there an anodized plating or just plating/coating in general. 

Your initial email sounds like you're being an asshole.  "Hi can you please send me the MSDS for your product, so I can determine chemical compatibility with some sealants".  They don't need the whole backstory about the radiator 

You were getting shitty answer because you asked shitty questions and then threw snark on top of it.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)