About old games

Exdominator

So i'm using windows 7 and every time i want to open an old game i always have to wait long (Age of Empires 2, Quake 4)
Doesn't happen with all old games and doesn't happen with newer games.
Can someone explain why this is happening? Also if i open the game twice then it opens immediately but after i close the second instance of the game the first one starts (or maybe its open at the same time?).

So you're running Win7..do you have a GPU or using integrated graphics?

Old cpu?

Hard drive speed?

Using an ssd?

Honestly have this issue with mount and blade war and even with it on an 860evo. I would say it's likely a bottleneck somewhere keeping it from running fast. 

10 minutes ago, DVA said:

So you're running Win7..do you have a GPU or using integrated graphics?

Old cpu?

Hard drive speed?

Using an ssd?

GPU everything is fine with drivers the problem is the games themselfs i don't think this can be fixed (maybe something with 32 bit? altho i have played newer 32 bit games and they open normally) (i don't mind it since i can just open the game twice and run it immediately i am just curious why this is happening)
Still here are my specs:
G4400 3.3 GHz
8 GB 2400Mhz Dual channel ram
7400 RPM 1 T Hard drive
GTX 1050 2GB

Edit: 7200 rpm*

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly have this issue with mount and blade war and even with it on an 860evo. I would say it's likely a bottleneck somewhere keeping it from running fast. 

But thing is i have newer games with are much heavier and they start up very fast while these old ones just take their time its probably some kind of compability issue im just wondering how comes they open immediately if i start running two instances of the game

Honestly couldnt tell you on the last one. I know what you meant about the games being slower than heavy games that are newer. My games load incredibly fast on my evo and some litteraly just open up right away. That being said mount and blade and older game takes about 3 minutes and that is about as fast as it was on my hard drive. 

Honestly couldnt tell you on the last one. I know what you meant about the games being slower than heavy games that are newer. My games load incredibly fast on my evo and some litteraly just open up right away. That being said mount and blade and older game takes about 3 minutes and that is about as fast as it was on my hard drive. 

Well have u tried opening it twice? Like open it once but instead of waiting just click the shortcut again

1 minute ago, Exdominator said:

Well have u tried opening it twice? Like open it once but instead of waiting just click the shortcut again

Nope I have not

Nope I have not

If u can try it and tell me if it works for you too...

Just now, Exdominator said:

If u can try it and tell me if it works for you too...

Ok I will once I can use my conputer.

3 hours ago, Exdominator said:

So i'm using windows 7 and every time i want to open an old game i always have to wait long (Age of Empires 2, Quake 4)
Doesn't happen with all old games and doesn't happen with newer games.
Can someone explain why this is happening? Also if i open the game twice then it opens immediately but after i close the second instance of the game the first one starts (or maybe its open at the same time?).

My guess would be the Copy Protection bullshit.

And according to sources they both use the Safedisc copy protection, if we ain't talking about the Steam Rerelases...

And it doesn't sound like we do...

So those garbage is the source of many problems, especially with more modern instances of Windows...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

My guess would be the Copy Protection bullshit.

And according to sources they both use the Safedisc copy protection, if we ain't talking about the Steam Rerelases...

And it doesn't sound like we do...

So those garbage is the source of many problems, especially with more modern instances of Windows...

Well didn't know that... No we aren't talking about the steam versions but i have them pirated so i don't know... Anyway at least that makes some sense.

6 hours ago, Exdominator said:

Well didn't know that... No we aren't talking about the steam versions but i have them pirated so i don't know... Anyway at least that makes some sense.

The games you listed anyway don't have that sophisticated of DRM other than "is the CD/DVD in?" Though the pirated bit does concern me since I've pretty much stopped trusting pirated copies on the notion that I don't believe pirates are altruistic Robin Hoods. Basically to confirm or deny there is a problem, we need the actual retail copy installed for comparison.

In any case, the other thing is that it just may be the application behaves strangely on newer versions of Windows than the one it was meant to play on. I have an old game I like to play on occasion that will crash if I maximize the window unless I maximize it in a roundabout way.

16 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The games you listed anyway don't have that sophisticated of DRM other than "is the CD/DVD in?" Though the pirated bit does concern me since I've pretty much stopped trusting pirated copies on the notion that I don't believe pirates are altruistic Robin Hoods. Basically to confirm or deny there is a problem, we need the actual retail copy installed for comparison.

In any case, the other thing is that it just may be the application behaves strangely on newer versions of Windows than the one it was meant to play on. I have an old game I like to play on occasion that will crash if I maximize the window unless I maximize it in a roundabout way.

About the pirate thing... I don't really care what their ideology is, i just have no money for video games... Also a lot of times i like pirated copies (even if i have bought the game) because some games require internet connection even for single player and i dont always have internet available (and even if i did why the heck do they need internet anwyay?)
Anyway thanks for the info...