NEW To Building PC's & I NEED help!

JCD69

I upgraded my processor, motherboard, ram and I'm having some issues (3 to be exact). I took some parts from my old PC (SSD's, HDD, GPU and PSU ) and built essentially a whole new computer out of it but I'm having some struggles. I built my first computer with my dad when I was younger and this is my first "real" full computer build by myself and I'm having some issues. I already had windows and all my files on the SSD's, and HDD and I just plugged them in but I'm wondering if that could be the reason I'm having some issues but I'm not quite sure. Thinking I should have done a fresh windows install but regardless it seems to be working fine.

Issue #1 is that my computer seems to lag when I'm doing really simple stuff like open files or download a program like for example the new msi board software and it would like freeze and then my mouse would still be able to move but really slow across the screen and I couldn't do anything until it just stopped freaking out. mouse basically was bugging out and moving stupid slow and even closing programs takes a while (like 4 seconds longer than it should) it just seems extremely weird.

Issue #2 I'm also having a hard time figuring out what I need to do in my bios to have my computer running smoothly. So far I did a bios update and tried changing the RAM speed but I don't know if I did it correctly but that's all I've done with the bios so far. (Maybe this is what's causing problem #1? IDK...)

Issue #3 I have the MSI Tomahawk and I want to turn the RED LED backlight from the motherboard off so I can use my RGB wraith spire and RGB corsair Vengance to make the color scheme in my case but the RED backlighting throws the rest of the lighting off. Any way to turn off the red led? 

CPU-Ryzen 5 1700x

CPU Cooler- wraith spire cooler

Motherboard- MSI tomahawk b350

GPU- evga 1070ti

Storage- 1tb ssd, 240gb ssd, 3tb hdd

RAM- 16gb corsair vengance   rgb  pro

PSU- Corsair C850m PSU

*OLD COMPUTER* 

i5-4690k

MSI z97 gaming 3

OLD DDR3 my dad had laying around

Hey OP.

Easiest practice to ensure good hardware to Windows compatibility if a CPU swap is involved is to reset the Windows build.

Steps to fix in Windows 10:

1. Start Menu > Type in “Reset this PC”. Click the Systems Settings result. Alternatively you can get into Systems Settings and navigate to the Recovery submenu. 

2. Hit “Get Started”

3. Choose wisely what you pick. “Keeping your files” means anything not in your USER folder is nuked.

4. Let it do its thing.

The longer explanation on why one can’t simply swap CPUs with reasonable assurance that things don’t mess up is that there’s a lot going behind the scenes as it relates to the CPU binding to the Windows build. I can’t ELI5 it because I don’t deal with Windows much anymore and can’t say with authority. But if what you’re describing is indeed only due to this issue, you’ll see it will be fixed with these steps. Good luck!

. .

. . . 

(Alex no offense mate but you have no idea of what you’re talking about. 900+ posts lol.. I’m going to have a lot of fun here ?)

1 minute ago, koakoakoa said:

Hey OP.

Easiest practice to ensure good hardware to Windows compatibility if a CPU swap is involved is to reset the Windows build.

Steps to fix in Windows 10:

1. Start Menu > Type in “Reset this PC”. Click the Systems Settings result. Alternatively you can get into Systems Settings and navigate to the Recovery submenu. 

2. Hit “Get Started”

3. Choose wisely what you pick. “Keeping your files” means anything not in your USER folder is nuked.

4. Let it do its thing.

The longer explanation on why one can’t simply swap CPUs with reasonable assurance that things don’t mess up is that there’s a lot going behind the scenes as it relates to the CPU binding to the Windows build. I can’t ELI5 it because I don’t deal with Windows much anymore and can’t say with authority. But if what you’re describing is indeed only due to this issue, you’ll see it will be fixed with these steps. Good luck!

. .

. . . 

(Alex no offense mate but you have no idea of what you’re talking about. 900+ posts lol.. I’m going to have a lot of fun here ?)

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure....I'm thinking this could be the issue ^ I'm not by any means a computer genius but I think I have a decent idea of what's going on (somewhat). I didn't want to be mean to Alex (first guy that responded) but Doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know what ends up happening.

i have almost the same setup, 1080ti and 2600,  same mobo.. you shoudlnt be running into anything like what you are describing, Open task man and see whats eating up your researouces,  also insatll ryzen master, make sure all cores are on,  I had 4 on for some reason and it sucked.. 

THen start your OC step by step,

I was able to get 4.2 ghz on my cpu

2933 on my ram

good luck!

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

1 minute ago, JCD69 said:

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure....I'm thinking this could be the issue ^ I'm not by any means a computer genius but I think I have a decent idea of what's going on (somewhat). I didn't want to be mean to Alex (first guy that responded) but Doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know what ends up happening.

well he was partially correct, i would open bios, hit F1, then hit whatever F button says option defaults..

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

Just now, jerkwagon said:

i have almost the same setup, 1080ti and 2600,  same mobo.. you shoudlnt be running into anything like what you are describing, Open task man and see whats eating up your researouces,  also insatll ryzen master, make sure all cores are on,  I had 4 on for some reason and it sucked.. 

THen start your OC step by step,

I was able to get 4.2 ghz on my cpu

2933 on my ram

good luck!

Interesting, well I think I'm going to fresh install windows and then go from there. What all software should I have? Like all the drivers for MSI tomahawk right? Then like you said Ryzen master, and then obviously Nvidia drivers is there anything else I'm missing? Also, do I have to update the bios again if I fresh install windows? 

Oh and were you able to somehow get the red backlighting on the MOBO to shut off?

23 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

Interesting, well I think I'm going to fresh install windows and then go from there. What all software should I have? Like all the drivers for MSI tomahawk right? Then like you said Ryzen master, and then obviously Nvidia drivers is there anything else I'm missing? Also, do I have to update the bios again if I fresh install windows? 

Oh and were you able to somehow get the red backlighting on the MOBO to shut off?

bios wont need an update, just reset the settings and go from there..  as for the red led, you need to download MSI gaming app

Fresh install may help, when adding all that new stuff, your best bet is a fresh install, 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

7 minutes ago, jerkwagon said:

bios wont need an update, just reset the settings and go from there..  as for the red led, you need to download MSI gaming app

Fresh install may help, when adding all that new stuff, your best bet is a fresh install, 

I have the MSI gaming app but it shuts off the LED for my wraith spire and the backlight, unfortunately... not sure if there is a way around this.

2 minutes ago, JCD69 said:

I have the MSI gaming app but it shuts off the LED for my wraith spire and the backlight, unfortunately... not sure if there is a way around this.

is your spire hooked up to the mobo?  Thats the downside to these RGB apps, they are shit..  it only allows you to turn on the msi and then EXTEND via RGB  port.. i dont even use mine, i have a dg77 case with 5 rgb ports.

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

1 hour ago, jerkwagon said:

is your spire hooked up to the mobo?  Thats the downside to these RGB apps, they are shit..  it only allows you to turn on the msi and then EXTEND via RGB  port.. i dont even use mine, i have a dg77 case with 5 rgb ports.

It is hooked up to the motherboard. Is there anyway around this?

10 hours ago, JCD69 said:

It is hooked up to the motherboard. Is there anyway around this?

try installing aura sync or whatever its called, plug in your RBG into the MOBO and see if sync sees it.. That may be the work around otherwise after my searching i didnt find anything simple.   My case has a header with 5 inputs,  and that input plugs into a USB 8 pin (i think its 8) on my mobo.  From there its just a simple USB driver i assume.  

If you want to become a millionaire, just develop a header that plugs into your mobo and make it universal, for any 4pin 12v rgb..   Because right now, it seems  that EVERY RGB has its own shitty software and proprietary plugs, it back to the early 2000s and cell phone chargers... each has its own stupid plug instead of a universal one.

Oh and make the software simple yet customizable.    thats the key, think more like apple simplicity instead of  100000000 million combos b/s

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

13 hours ago, JCD69 said:

If you’ve never overclocked anything, it’s a 99% chance that things are set to defaults. Don’t waste more time - you’d be BSOD’ing if it was your memory affecting things to such an extent that you get hangs. 

I am addressing your principal issue issue that is your Windows build is configured to the old CPU hardware. Virtually no other upgrade does what you’re describing. I’m guessing Start menu is all sorts of slow, too, right?

hit that Reset my PC. 

I could tell tell you how to reset your registry to work with your new cpu, but that is a much more intensive and potentially damaging process. I do not like “just restart it/wipe it” routes if I don’t have to, but this is one nuance of Windows NTFS builds that just can’t be easily solved otherwise. 

Follow my instructions and post back your results. Interested to see how wrong I am! Failure is okay in my book - That’s our best teacher after all.. especially with other people’s kit :) 

hehe I jest. kinda. I am sincere in my diagnosis and recommendation. Good luck!! 

7 hours ago, koakoakoa said:

If you’ve never overclocked anything, it’s a 99% chance that things are set to defaults. Don’t waste more time - you’d be BSOD’ing if it was your memory affecting things to such an extent that you get hangs. 

I am addressing your principal issue issue that is your Windows build is configured to the old CPU hardware. Virtually no other upgrade does what you’re describing. I’m guessing Start menu is all sorts of slow, too, right?

hit that Reset my PC. 

I could tell tell you how to reset your registry to work with your new cpu, but that is a much more intensive and potentially damaging process. I do not like “just restart it/wipe it” routes if I don’t have to, but this is one nuance of Windows NTFS builds that just can’t be easily solved otherwise. 

Follow my instructions and post back your results. Interested to see how wrong I am! Failure is okay in my book - That’s our best teacher after all.. especially with other people’s kit :) 

hehe I jest. kinda. I am sincere in my diagnosis and recommendation. Good luck!! 

Yeah lol I'm just gonna reset my PC. Start menu is slow for sure.