Ryzen 2200G Extremely Hot

jiyeon
Go to solution Solved by jiyeon,
47 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Was the CPU cooler installed correctly? (Tightened all the way down?) 96c is just too damn hot

Ah, that's better. I found out only 2/4 screws were tightened from my brother's efforts, so I redid the cooler and applied a generous amount of thermal compound.

Idle is now 24°C and a Cinebench run later yields a max temp of 47°C. :) 

Hi, so I just completed my brother's new PC which has a Ryzen 2200G.

I booted up fresh from Windows 10 to find idle temperatures were anywhere between 40-50°C, which is unusually hot in my book. I also did a Cinebench run and at max, it was 96°C!

Where could I have gone wrong? I have a sneaky suspicion that I did not put enough thermal compound, I did let my brother do it after all, with a baby pea size amount.

We're using the stock cooler and 1 case fan on the side of the DeepCool Frame mATX to intake air into the cooler.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Pea sized is fine, is the fan on the stock curve and did you change anything in ryzen master?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

40-50C isn't too bad for the stock cooler. What does it run on average in the games he plays?

40-50 is idle, 96 is bad but not too bad in cinebench on an apu

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Pea sized is fine, is the fan on the stock curve and did you change anything in ryzen master?

Everything is absolutely stock and we don't have Ryzen Master installed.

Just now, seoz said:

Everything is absolutely stock and we don't have Ryzen Master installed.

Like @Dan Castellaneta said, what are temps during actual gaming sessions?

My current rig:

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Like @Dan Castellaneta said, what are temps during actual gaming sessions?

We don't know yet because we literally installed Windows 10 like ten minutes ago, there are no games installed yet.

6 minutes ago, seoz said:

Where could I have gone wrong? I have a sneaky suspicion that I did not put enough thermal compound, I did let my brother do it after all, with a baby pea size amount.

Was the CPU cooler installed correctly? (Tightened all the way down?) 96c is just too damn hot

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

My brother did it, so I can't for sure. You know what, it could just be his bad on this one, I gave him the responsibility of doing the thermal compound and cooler.

Just now, seoz said:

My brother did it, so I can't for sure. You know what, it could just be his bad on this one, I gave him the responsibility of doing the thermal compound and cooler.

Were you there to supervise the process?

You gotta watch your siblings. Those young knuckleheads cant do anything without their older bro/sis 9_9

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Were you there to supervise the process?

You gotta watch your siblings. Those young knuckleheads cant do anything without their older bro/sis 9_9

Yeah, I was the Ed Techsource of the household a few hours ago. :) "Now you're going to screw these ones in, yes those ones."

47 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Ah, that's better. I found out only 2/4 screws were tightened from my brother's efforts, so I redid the cooler and applied a generous amount of thermal compound.

3 minutes ago, seoz said:

The CPU cooler was probably barely making any contact with the IHS. 47ºC under load makes a LOT more sense

15 minutes ago, seoz said:

Ah, that's better. I found out only 2/4 screws were tightened

2ig4o9.jpg.c31cafb6c2f18728584866397eed2ec7.jpg

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they