Can Laptop HDD be used in a Tower PC

MU.712

I like to ask a question that my laptop dvd drive is not working and I don't have a bootable usb for installing Windows on my laptop can i swap it with my desktop hdd with laptops temporarily so that i can install Windows from my desktop s dvd drive.And one more thing i like to add to is that the SATA power connector has a 5 Volt and a 12 Volt Dc source will the hdd be run from 5volt or 12 volt ? I have a doubt that it will fry my hhd.

Yes.

Y tho, buying a thumb drive is a lot less of a hassle.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

i wouldnt recommend moving windows installs between hardware, but there is certainly nothing stopping you

1 minute ago, bleedblue said:

Yes.

Y tho, buying a thumb drive is a lot less of a hassle.

not to mention a thumbdrive is allways going to be convenient in some way or another

1 hour ago, MU.712 said:

I like to ask a question that my laptop dvd drive is not working and I don't have a bootable usb for installing Windows on my laptop can i swap it with my desktop hdd with laptops temporarily so that i can install Windows from my desktop s dvd drive.And one more thing i like to add to is that the SATA power connector has a 5 Volt and a 12 Volt Dc source will the hdd be run from 5volt or 12 volt ? I have a doubt that it will fry my hhd.

yes you can put  the laptop hdd on the desktop  i do that  some times  just for testing  and window boot fine  it will configure automatically when you put back the hdd with the os installed. you dont need to worry a sata conector is the same  on desktop  just turn off the pc and laptop and unplug al power sources  when you swap hdd

if you have  sd cards  with adapter they can  work as a bootable disk

You can do this, however I would second (third, fourth?) the recommendation to get a USB drive and make an install drive for the laptop. Modern Windows (7+) installs only what it needs to run on the hardware on which it is installed. It is pretty good about loading on-the-fly what it needs to run if the hardware is changed, but I have still run into compatibility problems and long-term stability issues when making significant hardware changes. Especially if switching between generations, such as 4xxx to 6xxx Intel CPU and motherboard, for example.

If you do go this route, make sure to remove old drivers once the drive is back in the laptop. This can be done via Device Manager in Windows. It's pretty easy, plenty of internet search results for guides. Nirsoft's DevManView can also help speed up the process.

You MAY run into issues getting Windows to boot/load, I have encountered that in the past. Nuking and rebuilding the boot sector will definitely fix the problem, but it can usually be fixed more easily via the Windows recovery built-in boot repair. Both options will however require an install drive from which to load recovery if you do have booting problems.