Blue Switches

GrandFatMan

So, I really like my blue switches in my keyboard, the sound and the feel is great, but, i didn't think they were that loud, until my 3 year old said "Daddy Stop Pressing Buttons" when he was trying to watch Netflix, yeah, first world problems, My 3 year old doesn't like mechanical keyboards, go figure. 

My question is, What offers the same FEEL as blues, but without the noise? (They aren't cherry, it's an Aukey) 

I highly recommend purple zealio switches or the massdrop Halo clears are both really nice and have a decent sharp bump but don't have the loud clickiness your child is talking about. But any switch labeled "brown" or tactile and no click " or tactile and quiet/silent  and will be very similar. 

If your wanting to save some money and your keyboard you can always de-solderer the current switches and buy new switches and solder the new ones on. If it is a RGB keyboard that may be slightly more difficult depending on how it is set up.

Grab some O-rings, it dampens the sound drastically, but still feels good. There is a little bit of noise left in there, but no where near normal blues

13 minutes ago, MegaLukey said:

Grab some O-rings, it dampens the sound drastically, but still feels good. There is a little bit of noise left in there, but no where near normal blues

That doesn't reduce the clicking noise, it just reduced the bottoming out noise. I have red switches with o-rings and it's pretty damn quiet.

16 minutes ago, evilmatchbox said:

I highly recommend purple zealio switches or the massdrop Halo clears are both really nice and have a decent sharp bump but don't have the loud clickiness your child is talking about. But any switch labeled "brown" or tactile and no click " or tactile and quiet/silent  and will be very similar. 

If your wanting to save some money and your keyboard you can always de-solderer the current switches and buy new switches and solder the new ones on. If it is a RGB keyboard that may be slightly more difficult depending on how it is set up.

I tried the feel of some browns in my local shop, they were steelseries, it was the only mechanical keyboard they had in, and they were super smooth with no tactile feedback. I didn't really like it and preferred the blue switches that i have,  Maybe it was just the steelseries version?

2 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

I tried the feel of some browns in my local shop, they were steelseries, it was the only mechanical keyboard they had in, and they were super smooth with no tactile feedback. I didn't really like it and preferred the blue switches that i have,  Maybe it was just the steelseries version?

No, browns are slightly  less tactile than blues; when you compare, cherry  or cherry replica brown switches. Kailh brown switches have a very slightly more pronounced bump than cherry browns. Based on a super quick look at steelseries website.  The only ones they offer, at least at this moment is one keyboard with blue swtiches and the rest are all linear switches, so no bump.  Was this recently you tried it out? You could always pop a keycap off and take a look at the name at the bottom of the switch and the color of the stem. That is if you around the shop again.

With the normal brown switches, you will still have the noise from the upstroke. There are some damped switches, which have both the downstroke and the upstroke dampened. Gateron has silenced browns, and Zilents are dampened Zealios. There are also Matias switches, but those are not Cherry compatible. 

If you're fine with non dampened tactile switches, the Box Royal is very tactile. Cheaper than the Zealios/Zilents, at $5,00 for 10 switches. 

:)

Hmm, i guess i should also have specified, i'd be looking at a new budget keyboard, rather than switches themselves. 

14 hours ago, GrandFatMan said:

Hmm, i guess i should also have specified, I'd be looking at a new budget keyboard, rather than switches themselves. 

It's difficult to find anything other than brown, blue and red switches on budget keyboards.  Browns are tactile and not click but they are pretty far from feeling like blues. The bump is small and not sharp at all.

I recommend trying to re-solder different switches.  With a cheap soldering iron, desolder pump, solder and switches you would be around the same price as a gaming keyboard and its a fun project.  Soldering switches is one of the easiest soldering jobs, great intro into using one if you have never tried.  Plus you end up with a keyboard with superior switches to most gaming keyboards.

11 hours ago, evilmatchbox said:

I recommend trying to re-solder different switches.  With a cheap soldering iron, desolder pump, solder and switches you would be around the same price as a gaming keyboard and its a fun project.  Soldering switches is one of the easiest soldering jobs, great intro into using one if you have never tried.  Plus you end up with a keyboard with superior switches to most gaming keyboards.

For the price of the keyboard, and my time invested in soldering new switches, i'd rather just buy a new keyboard. 

And I have "Tried" I'm a Sound Engineer by trade, and have soldered hundreds of xlr cables, power cables etc in my years. Frankly, if i never saw solder again in my life, i wouldn't be disappointed. . 

Omron Romer-G is a lot quieter but still has some tactile feedback, they're a great option on most Logitech G-series

On 10/2/2018 at 11:04 PM, GrandFatMan said:

And I have "Tried" I'm a Sound Engineer by trade, and have soldered hundreds of xlr cables, power cables etc in my years. Frankly, if i never saw solder again in my life, i wouldn't be disappointed. . 

Fair enough, I get that. If I didn't have to deal with another SQL database in my life, I think I would be okay with that.

On 9/24/2018 at 3:49 PM, EPENEX said:

That doesn't reduce the clicking noise, it just reduced the bottoming out noise. I have red switches with o-rings and it's pretty damn quiet.

the bottoming out sound is quite louder then the actual clicking noise. I use the switches and orings when im away at uni and the sound is night and day difference when I take them off at home

4 hours ago, MegaLukey said:

the bottoming out sound is quite louder then the actual clicking noise. I use the switches and orings when im away at uni and the sound is night and day difference when I take them off at home

This 100% depends on how you type. Sounds like you bottom out hard. Some people don't bottom out at all or do so softly.