Absolute Newbie Iddiot trying to piece together a PC

Hi guys!

Just looking for some advice for a planed build. I'm a complete PC building newbie... but here goes.

I'm looking at:

An AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, because I plan on upgrading my CPU before 2020. Will this be a bottleneck?

A Nvidia GTX 1070ti. Should I wait for 2070/2060?

8 gigabytes of Corsair Vengance LPX DDR 4 3000. Is that enough for 2018?

A 240gb samsung 970 evo. Is that going to be too small?

An ASUS B450-f Strix Gaming. I wanted dual m.2 slots and a nice mobo. Should I just buy a ryzer card and use that instead and get a cheaper board?

A NZXT H500, maybe I'll get the 'i' variant. Is that a good chassis?

The rig will mainly be for gaming, web development and other bits and bobs. If you can provide any help it would be much appreciated.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/zombieman50/saved/#view=LMjJ8d

PM

what you might wanna do is switch the 2600x to a 2600, which is $50 cheaper (at least in the U.S.) and offers .1 Ghz less speed, and use that money to maybe fund 16gb of ram (8gb is getting to be the minimum for most games now). Also, if you plan on just using an SSD, then it is too small of a storage drive, and the 2070 and 2060 are coming out mid 2019 I belive, so if you dont mind waiting, but the 1070ti will probably perform as well as the other two. Lastly, that mobo is fine, but a cheaper and just as good mobo is the b450 tomahawk, and that is a good chassis 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

3 minutes ago, zombieman50 said:

An AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, because I plan on upgrading my CPU before 2020. Will this be a bottleneck?

No.

4 minutes ago, zombieman50 said:

A Nvidia GTX 1070ti. Should I wait for 2070/2060?

Don't bother if you're not after the ray-tracing.

8 gigabytes of Corsair Vengance LPX DDR 4 3000. Is that enough for 2018?

It depends on what you play, but 16GB is the comfortable amount.

A 240gb samsung 970 evo. Is that going to be too small?

It depends how much things you store. I have a 250GB SSD and I've used about 100GB after the OS, games, and any other applications were installed.

6 minutes ago, zombieman50 said:

An ASUS B450-f Strix Gaming. I wanted dual m.2 slots and a nice mobo. Should I just buy a ryzer card and use that instead and get a cheaper board?

It's a fine motherboard, keep it.

6 minutes ago, zombieman50 said:

A NZXT H500, maybe I'll get the 'i' variant. Is that a good chassis?

It's a great case, the H500i is simply a H500 with integrated RGB lighting.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

16gb min RAM for games/ (video editing/ programming) 

you may want a tb or 2 for storage (cuz your 240gb ssd ), 

you want to fill at most 85% of your drive to prevent slowdowns = 200 gb of usable drive 

~40 gb for os leaving 160 for your use. 

Better to have 480 or 500gb ssd so u can have OS, a game, and programs u want, then get an HDD for mass storage (everything else) 

2600x has no cooler, so go with 2600. stock cooler is great quality and sufficiently cools 

1 minute ago, lmeneses said:

what you might wanna do is switch the 2600x to a 2600, which is $50 cheaper (at least in the U.S.) and offers .1 Ghz less speed, and use that money to maybe fund 16gb of ram (8gb is getting to be the minimum for most games now). Also, if you plan on just using an SSD, then it is too small of a storage drive, and the 2070 and 2060 are coming out mid 2019 I belive, so if you dont mind waiting, but the 1070ti will probably perform as well as the other two. Lastly, that mobo is fine, but a cheaper and just as good mobo is the b450 tomahawk, and that is a good chassis 

Thanks a bunch. I'm planning on a hdd already. Thanks for the CPU advice, will go for the 2600. I was thinking about it but I thought it would be a bottleneck. The motherboard it only £10 more than the tomahawk in the UK. I've being holding off building for a bit so I don't want to wait much longer, as my laptop that I use is falling to bits.

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

No.

Don't bother if you're not after the ray-tracing.

It depends on what you play, but 16GB is the comfortable amount.

It depends how much things you store. I have a 250GB SSD and I've used about 100GB after the OS, games, and any other applications were installed.

It's a fine motherboard, keep it.

It's a great case, the H500i is simply a H500 with integrated RGB lighting.

Thanks a bunch

1 minute ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:

16gb min RAM for games/ (video editing/ programming) 

you may want a tb or 2 for storage (cuz your 240gb ssd ), 

you want to fill at most 85% of your drive to prevent slowdowns = 200 gb of usable drive 

~40 gb for os leaving 160 for your use. 

Better to have 480 or 500gb ssd so u can have OS, a game, and programs u want, then get an HDD for mass storage (everything else) 

2600x has no cooler, so go with 2600. stock cooler is great quality and sufficiently cools 

Thanks a bunch. The 2600x comes with a stock cooler because it is second gen.

1 minute ago, zombieman50 said:

Thanks a bunch. I'm planning on a hdd already. Thanks for the CPU advice, will go for the 2600. I was thinking about it but I thought it would be a bottleneck. The motherboard it only £10 more than the tomahawk in the UK. I've being holding off building for a bit so I don't want to wait much longer, as my laptop that I use is falling to bits.

If you have a hdd then the the ssd is fine, and, if its only a $10 difference, go with your mobo. And yea, the new gpus aren't worth waiting for then

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, lmeneses said:

If you have a hdd then the the ssd is fine, and, if its only a $10 difference, go with your mobo. And yea, the new gpus aren't worth waiting for then

Thank you for your help. Going to run back to pcpartpicker...

1 minute ago, WhatsTheWifiPassword said:
  Hide contents

to be safe check the mobo QVL on the manufacturer page to see compatible RAM 

It's on there

Just now, zombieman50 said:

Thank you for your help. Going to run back to pcpartpicker...

good luck!

Just now, lmeneses said:

good luck!

Thank you. I'll probably need it.

Just now, AdroG23 said:

^agree with him
Maybe get an extra drive? a samsung 850 500gb would do nice and, if you have cash to spare, a 1tb hdd to throw things in.

I would also take the 2600. 

Will you leave the stock cooler on the cpu or will you use an AIO or some beefier air cooler? (irrelevant for performance, just curious, since i believe that you won't overclock for now at least)

Have you reserved some cash for the PSU? Remember, NEVER cheap out on the power source!

going to stay with the stock cooler until I get some cash, then get a fancy AIO. My psu is a semi-modular cooler master 500w. 

11 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

^agree with him
Maybe get an extra drive? a samsung 850 500gb would do nice and, if you have cash to spare, a 1tb hdd to throw things in.

I would also take the 2600. 

Will you leave the stock cooler on the cpu or will you use an AIO or some beefier air cooler? (irrelevant for performance, just curious, since i believe that you won't overclock for now at least)

Have you reserved some cash for the PSU? Remember, NEVER cheap out on the power source!

Do not plan on upgrading a cpu without also upgrading at least the motherboard. In other words, buy the best cpu that fits the budget. Other parts are much more easily upgraded.

Until we see some good benchmarks of the RTX 2070 there is no way to know if would be a better choice than a GTX 1070 Ti.

I'd suggest sticking with the H500 and getting lighting compatible with the motherboard.

I'd suggest at least a 550W psu. Preferably something like a Seasonic Focus Gold or Corsair TXM Gold.

A 2600X also overclocks and is more likely to do it better than a 2600. If the budget requires saving, the 2600 is a reasonable compromise, but otherwise it is in my opinion a false economy.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

My psu is a semi-modular cooler master 500w. 

thats a good psu, is it bronze rated? 

1 minute ago, brob said:

Do not plan on upgrading a cpu without also upgrading at least the motherboard. In other words, buy the best cpu that fits the budget. Other parts are much more easily upgraded.

Until we see some good benchmarks of the RTX 2070 there is no way to know if would be a better choice than a GTX 1070 Ti.

I'd suggest sticking with the H500 and getting lighting compatible with the motherboard.

I'd suggest at least a 550W psu. Preferably something like a Seasonic Focus Gold or Corsair TXM Gold.

A 2600X also overclocks and is more likely to do it better than a 2600. If the budget requires saving, the 2600 is a reasonable compromise, but otherwise it is in my opinion a false economy.

Thank you! I want to add a second m.2 in the future so I chose that motherboard.

thats a good psu, is it bronze rated? 

yes, it is

going to stay with the stock cooler until I get some cash, then get a fancy AIO. My psu is a semi-modular cooler master 500w. 

Oh cool. 
I would consider something a bit stronger thatn 500w, just to be safe you know...
You never know when you're gonna go balls to the walls on a rig.
650-700 maybe? since you're considering a 2060-70 and a future cpu upgrade...
And seeing how it goes, probably will end up with more ram and why not go rgb?

Just now, AdroG23 said:

Oh cool. 
I would consider something a bit stronger thatn 500w, just to be safe you know...
You never know when you're gonna go balls to the walls on a rig.
650-700 maybe? since you're considering a 2060-70 and a future cpu upgrade...
And seeing how it goes, probably will end up with more ram and why not go rgb?

Thanks. Will do

Just now, zombieman50 said:

yes, it is

Ok, that psu should run your system fine, but you may want to upgrade it if before you upgrade your gpu and cpu

Ok, that psu should run your system fine, but you may want to upgrade it if before you upgrade your gpu and cpu

Thanks

And like the guys said here, hold on to that 2060-70

PERSONALLY, i will hold until there are a few games and drivers are out. I don't like buying first card on new gen.

Probably will wait a couple years and get a more proved version of the 20xx or maybe even the 30xx, who knows 
(it's easy for me to say, having bought a 1080 recently...)

And in PSU department, i'm a sucker for CORSAIR, but the guys really have good stuff in store (and their RGB are amazing)