Public Service Announcement: Want those bright lights for your car? STOP !!!!!!!

Sammael

Don't install them, just don't.

If your car did not come with HID headlamps, you need to think long and hard before you go online and buy some hid bulbs and just jam them into your headlight housings.

First, HIDS were designed for PROJECTOR headlamps ONLY.  NOT, I repeat NOT reflectors.

If your lights look like this:

Headlight_reflector_optics.jpg

Then I don't want to see you ever, EVER !!!!!!! install those hid bulbs.  The light will shoot everywhere, everywhere but the g*d damned road, like in my eyes.  You actually get LESS road visibility, it's COMPLETELY counterproductive.

If you have projectors like the following

04-07ProjectorHeadlamp.jpg

(projector on the far right)

and want to install hid bulbs, there are still issues.

Go read some here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/1917546-stop-sticking-hid-bulbs-stock-projectors.html

Suffice it to say, HIDS tend to have 2 hot spots when producing light, and need to be focused differently from halogens.  The stock projector housings that come with halogens are tuned for the HALOGEN light profile, NOT the HID bulbs.

You can get HIDS there, but you need more than just the bulbs for it to look right, you need the entire housing that goes with the HIDS to produce the correct beam pattern (typically a clear cut off line on the road, not in peoples eyes)

Nearly every time you see some light blinding you on the road, mark them as someone who probably put some HIDS where they should never have gone.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I like how much different types of spam we get. :)

at least we don't only get kitchen ads.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I like how much different types of spam we get. :)

If this was spam, it would be the most creative spam in the universe, something to be archived and framed for all of time.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I feel like this should be on the MightyCarMods forums and not the LinusTechTips forums.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Cars are still technology :P I see not how this is spam, thanks for the info and I'll keep this in mind.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

OMFG HID are just fucking obnoxious, if it was for me i would ban them for car use and issue a 5000$ fine to whoever get caught using them, a few years ago my mother almost crash against a wall in the freeway going at 120KPH (speed limit) because an asshole in the opposite side of the road had HID the only thing we could see are those damn lights 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I fucking hate people tossing HID's into halogen housings

I made the effort of retrofitting projectors into a car, on a computer/tech aside I ripped apart a computer PSU so I could power my HID's at home so I could dial in the color band

DSCI0014.jpg

Image006.jpg