i7-8750H 4 core vs 6 core performance

Hello!

I have a dell G5 15 laptop with an Intel 17-8750H 6 core cpu. I was experimenting with undervolting in intel xtu when i noticed that, during my stress testing, the cpu clock actually ran much lower (2.95GHz) than it has when doing normal browsing on high performance mode (3.95GHz). Upon closer inspection, I discovered that when only 4 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is set at 41x but when 5 or more cores are active, the max is 39x. 

To the best of my knowledge, most games don't really benefit from having more than 4 cpu cores. So, my question is thus: Would I see better performance in games if i restricted said games to only running on 4 of the 6 cores? (I intend to accomplish this using the "set affinity" option in task manager)

Thanks for any help!

Honestly, I'd just try it and see.  Every game will be different and you probably won't even be able to look up benchmarks to know one way or another for your situation since that's a laptop chip which people generally don't test like that, and every laptop, even if they share that chip, may perform differently due to manufacturer settings, cooling potential, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah its worth the shot. More games are starting to utilize extra cores, so i think some games will benefit from the 4 core lock, and others will see decreased performance 

Plenty of modern games utilise more than 4 cores.

I would be surprised if a 0.2ghz clock boost is more advantageous that an extra 2 core/4 threads.

7 hours ago, Jedi_king said:

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that when only 4 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is set at 41x but when 5 or more cores are active, the max is 39x

This is the standard boost clock for 8750H

during my stress testing, the cpu clock actually ran much lower (2.95GHz) than it has when doing normal browsing on high performance mode (3.95GHz)

This is because the CPU is power throttling (45W isn't enough for 8750H in stress test) and maybe thermal throttling too (8750H is a hot chip). Also FYI, high performance mode does nothing.

Would I see better performance in games if i restricted said games to only running on 4 of the 6 cores?

You can try that, not to mention that it can run cooler

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 9/21/2018 at 4:37 PM, Jedi_king said:

Would I see better performance in games if i restricted said games to only running on 4 of the 6 cores? (I intend to accomplish this using the "set affinity" option in task manager)

Your confusing gaming with heavy/stress load.

During gaming your CPU will rarely get pushed hard so it stays at 3.9ghz most of the time.

I have an ULV + eGPU setup and my CPU clock stays locked in at 3.9ghz alot of the time (tune your settings to hit GPU 95%+ utilization).

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p