about windows 7

Bonzilink

should i keep windows 7 on my laptop on after 2020, i really dont like windows 8.1 or 10.

Bonzilink

do you care about security?

windows 7 will still work fine after 20200, it will just be less secure.

If you want a modern os, you basically have to go to linux, osx or windows 10.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

do you care about security?

windows 7 will still work fine after 20200, it will just be less secure.

you can now pay to entend it's service updates past 2020

reason being a good majority of the world will still be using it past 2020 so microsoft is cashing in on those users.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

reason being a good majority of the world will still be using it past 2020 so microsoft is cashing in on those users.

Thats only going to be for large companys it seems. And windows 10 will be more secure aswell, its just much better under the hood.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats only going to be for large companys it seems.

Large companies make up the majority of windows 7 users but it's for any machine running windows 7.

Not that any of this matters as common sense virus protection will still be the be all end all for how secure any machine is even with windows 10. I would say any machine with a common sense user will be more secure than a windows 10 machine with someone downloading anything willy nilly.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

Large companies make up the majority of windows 7 users but it's for any machine running windows 7.

Not that any of this matters as common sense virus protection will still be the be all end all for how secure any machine is even with windows 10. I would say any machine with a common sense user will be more secure than a windows 10 machine with someone downloading anything willy nilly.

Its paid only. Your windows 7 updates will stop. You will only get them if you pay

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/09/06/helping-customers-shift-to-a-modern-desktop/

With that in mind, today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU)

There are lots of secuirty holes that common sense and a anti virus won't protect. Lots of remote execution over the network bugs and other things like specture from javascript, and bad encryption standards. This needs os patches to be secure. Look at the windows cve list.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its paid only. Your windows 7 updates will stop. You will only get them if you pay

26 minutes ago, emosun said:

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Its not just you having to pay, its you need VL from microsoft. Its not just give them a hundred bucks a year.

33 minutes ago, fixthegrouppolicy said:

should i keep windows 7 on my laptop on after 2020, i really dont like windows 8.1 or 10.

It's either that or you switch to Linux then (I doubt you can hackintosh a laptop).