ATI vs. NVIDIA

fishy

sooooo, i was thinking about getting a new PC and i'm stuck at which GPU to take.

i'm fairly new to this so i wanna ask you guys and gals, what's your opinion and what do you recommend.

for an average/advanced gaming usage.

i'm kinda split between mantle and g-sync, what do you think is gonna pick up faster, gonna be more supported, where we stand now, what is better and why, is it even wise to consider that now, or better wait for few months, ...?

i'm not asking for a fortune teller to predict future, just what is your opinion and if you can back it up/explain

and the price for each of them, atm i'm looking at spending about 500€ (more or less) for graphics card. i know it's a bit much for average/advanced player, but i'm one of those that upgrade every 5, 6 years, so it's kinda long term investment.

and don't flame!

linus will get mad

again!

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

what's an ATI

Haha!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

You mean AMD and also it depends on your budget

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

It is AMD now and it depends, most likely a non reference 290 will be your best bet

I don't think ATI exist anymore O.o

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

Whats an ATI card? I though they died with King Louis XVI...

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It is AMD now and it depends, most likely a non reference 290 will be your best bet

Even with the fact that the 780 has been beating 290 when both OC'd and the 290 is more expensive? (although it might be less where OP is)

Whats an ATI card? I though they died with King Louis XVI...

what's an ATI

anyways get whatever fits the budget if you ask me

You guys are such douchebags lol

Even with the fact that the 780 has been beating 290 when both OC'd and the 290 is more expensive? (although it might be less where OP is)

It does not beat they are neck and neck in most games, and the 290 has more VRAM

"You put the ASS in _ASSASSIN_"

- @TheSLSAMG

Does this come back to the argument fron teamspeak? Wow man....

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Does this come back to the argument fron teamspeak? Wow man....

no that quote was from a while ago.. I think in October or so

we don't argue dude we are friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaHh-y51us this is watercooled not standard aftermarket coolers, but still applies a bit. the 780 was winning in each one, 3gb is still more than enough, and the 780 is cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=136,152&sort=a7 not exactly

Aftermarket. Not a single aftermarket one on there was less than $550. Also all of them listed for under $500 are out of stock, so they havent actually been updated in terms of price, they arent still under $500.

Edit: The lowest aftermarket 290 was $580. The lowest 290 that was in stock was $530.

Aftermarket. Not a single aftermarket one on there was less than $550 and all of those that are listed for under $500 are actually just simply not updated, they are out of stock.

$450(GPU)+$75(Aftermarket Air Cooling)=A much better valur for the $$ than the 780

$450(GPU)+$75(Aftermarket Air Cooling)=A much better valur for the $$ than the 780

The gpu is NOT $450. Click on any of those. They are all out of stock, so they havent been updated. You cannot find, even a reference, 290 for under $530. Too many people on here just link to pcpartpicker, forgetting that pcpartpicker doesnt update to account for out of stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaHh-y51us this is watercooled not standard aftermarket coolers, but still applies. the 780 was winning in each one, 3gb is still more than enough, and the 780 is cheaper.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-4.html neck and neck

Once (if) mantle comes out the 290 will probably blow the 780 out of the water

The gpu is NOT $450. Click on any of those. They are all out of stock, so they havent been updated. You cannot find, even a reference, 290 for under $530.

Then lets all wait for the miners to chill their tits, and come back to this topic then.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-4.html neck and neck

Once (if) mantle comes out the 290 will probably blow the 780 out of the water

Sorry but mantle is too large of an unknown to actually say "probably blow out of the water" it could be as little impact as nvidia physx, cool but not the earth-shattering, amazing, revolutionary thing that they made it out to be. We need to see some sort of benchmarks first.

The 780 and R9 290 are actually neck to neck. The 780 by no means exceeds in preformance over the r9 290. They are even. Just letting you know so you dont go give people the wrong idea.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

The 780 and R9 290 are actually neck to neck. The 780 by no means exceeds in preformance over the r9 290. They are even. Just letting you know so you dont go give people the wrong idea.

I was refering solely to linus's benchmarks where it was literally 1 FPS ahead lol

In any case, the 290s havent actually raised in every single country, so if OP is from a place where it didnt raise, absolutely great choice.

I was refering solely to linus's benchmarks where it was literally 1 FPS ahead lol

Ok I didnt know haha xD

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro