RTX cards for non gaming (3D - rendering)

CherryPop

Hello Ltt forums.

Im a 3D artist and i need a new GPU. I use a wide variety of software and render engines but they all kinda fall in the same space - which is 3D. Its programs like Maya - zbrush - substance - Nuke - Reality Capture - Unreal Engine etc. etc.

Im trying to read every bit of information i can about the new RTX cards - but mostly it seems to be focused on gaming. I dont really care about gaming or FPS - but i do however care a lot about my work. Does the new RTX cards bring anything exiting to the world of 3D ? I know that renders like Vray and Arnold have already mentioned that they will bring the RTX features in some way to their render engines - I also read a lengthy article yesterday about the new mesh shaders the cards have implemented, but unfortunately it got a little technical for me. Long story short - does the new cards and the new tech feature anything game breaking for the 3D industry that will justify the pricetag? They keep mentioning the 6x times faster ray tracing performance - does that only goes for real time ray tracing in games ? Or does that apply to a normal 3D render as well? Cos if so that would be huge for me.

And where do i go for information that doesnt revovle around gaming? 

But generally - how does Turing compare to pascal in a non gaming environment - and where do i go tomorrow when the embargo lifts to get non gaming related benchmarks and stuff? 

The RTX cards can do real time raytracing. Same with quadro RTX. Its not like non rtx cards cant do raytracing, but they will be extremely slow for realistic renders

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

RTX cards have dedicated Ray tracing cores so i would assume they will vastly improve any type of work were ray tracing is involved, not only real time ray tracing. Also in terms of compute performance every number is higher, they have more cores, more bandwidth, faster memory etc. so all that is noticeably better...that said, is it enough to justify the cost, that we don't know and is it worth it for you personally...if you use this day in and day out for work and times equal money in the end then yes i would assume it' would be worth every penny.

They are better GPU's, they have a new Quadro line as well with this architecture, so the new hardware will be used in workstation applications, that's a given.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

14 minutes ago, CherryPop said:

They keep mentioning the 6x times faster ray tracing performance - does that only goes for real time ray tracing in games ? Or does that apply to a normal 3D render as well? Cos if so that would be huge for me.

Technically this could be used to speed up renders. But here's the deal: The render engines need to be updated to support it. I know some already announced that they are working on supporting it, but others have yet to mention it.

My advice: Check the news/forums of the software you are using, find out if they plan to support the new hardware RTX brings and then decide from there. IF dedicated support is promised I would honestly go for it, if not I would just buy two older, by then cheaper cards and run them in SLI which should have more "raw horsepower" than one new RTX card. (I know it's technically not SLI in this context but you get the gist)

40 minutes ago, cynexit said:

Technically this could be used to speed up renders. But here's the deal: The render engines need to be updated to support it. I know some already announced that they are working on supporting it, but others have yet to mention it.

My advice: Check the news/forums of the software you are using, find out if they plan to support the new hardware RTX brings and then decide from there. IF dedicated support is promised I would honestly go for it, if not I would just buy two older, by then cheaper cards and run them in SLI which should have more "raw horsepower" than one new RTX card. (I know it's technically not SLI in this context but you get the gist)

So the support is coming for a lot of the applications i use - including my two main render engines (Redshift and arnold).https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/13/turing-industry-support/

The 1080 TI is not that much cheaper in my country that the new 2080 is going to be - but is the new tech so good that i would be "worth" going for a 2080 ti instead ? Or will the 2080 be just fine - and then later maybe upgrade with another 2080 if needed

5 hours ago, CherryPop said:

The 1080 TI is not that much cheaper in my country that the new 2080 is going to be - but is the new tech so good that i would be "worth" going for a 2080 ti instead ? Or will the 2080 be just fine - and then later maybe upgrade with another 2080 if needed

Without real benchmarks there is no way to tell for certain, but: games don't often scale linearly with CUDA cores, but rendering workload mostly does. So looking at the 2080 with 2944 CCs and the Ti with 4352 CCs one could (very very roughly) estimate that the Ti will be ~40% faster than the non Ti version. So now it fully depends on the price: if the Ti is less than 40% more in price you theoretically would have a net win in performance, if it is more expensive it would make sense to go with a 2080.

But again as a final disclaimer: This is so much guesswork that you shouldn't give a crap about the numbers above!