Amazon investigating claims of employees leaking data for bribes

The_Tron

Is no company these days trustworthy enough for us to not care they have our information?

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.

Amazon.com said on Monday it was investigating suspected internal leaks of confidential information by its employees for bribes to remove fake reviews and other seller scams from its website.

Amazon employees are offering internal data and other classified information through intermediaries, to independent merchants selling their products on the site to help them boost sales in return for payments, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday, citing sources. 

The practice, which is a violation of the company's policy, is particularly strong in China, the report added, as the number of sellers there are soaring.

"We hold our employees to a high ethical standard and anyone in violation of our code faces discipline, including termination and potential legal and criminal penalties," a company spokesperson told Reuters.

Brokers for Amazon employees in Shenzhen are offering internal sales metrics and reviewers' email addresses, as well as a service to delete negative reviews and restore banned Amazon accounts in exchange for payments ranging from about $80 to more than $2,000, the WSJ report said.

The e-commerce giant is also investigating a number of cases involving employees, including some in the U.S., suspected of accepting these bribes, according to the Journal report.”

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/17/amazon-investigating-claims-of-employees-leaking-data-for-bribes.html

Apple does the same thing. Some App Developers plop down money so their APP....you cant see most recent reviews. Blocked.

11 minutes ago, LinuxTek said:

Apple does the same thing. Some App Developers plop down money so their APP....you cant see most recent reviews. Blocked.

Evidence?

To my knowledge, Apple only limits reviews by app version (and even then it's fairly flexible).  You can't just float an unsubstantiated hunch as 'proof' other companies do the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Evidence?

To my knowledge, Apple only limits reviews by app version (and even then it's fairly flexible).  You can't just float an unsubstantiated hunch as 'proof' other companies do the same thing.

Go look at a WarGaming App on the Apple App store. Get back to us...oh No! A Russia - Trump collusion Story!

People can be bribed.  It is against company policy and they say they are investigating not much to do here.  It's hard to control the actions of individual employees.  If they are caught they will lose there jobs and depending on the type of breach could face criminal charges.  In this case it sound like they were just changing reviews.  Someone with access could sell personal data and credit card information.  I have access to people's personal information and need it for my job.  There is a record of my access, but unless there is a problem like multiple cases of identity theft there is no investigation into every access.