How would I explain Right to Repair in a way anyone can understand?

So I've recently become aware of the right to repair movement, and am a supporter of it. I've been trying to show some of my friends that it is important and they should at least be aware of it etc. In doing so I have realised 2 things, 1. I am crap at explaining this sort of thing in a way that makes people understand and believe what I'm saying, and 2. A lot of people (in particular, the Apple device users) don't seem to think that the argument matters, and that although it's not a consumer-friendly business strategy, it's just business and there's nothing that can be done about it. 

I have tried explaining that most computer repair shops etc. are actually quite good, and get a bad rap for the most part. I've explained that devices are, and will be designed to last the warranty period and no longer, with no method to repair after this time has passed. I've explained the environmental aspect of it, and how it's harming the world. Regardless of what I say, they always seem to come back with a "so what" sort of attitude, or some nonsense argument as to why this is okay. 

I was wondering, what are your guy's arguments for the right to repair, and how would you go about explaining it to someone who clearly doesn't know or maybe even care about it. 

Sorry I cant get your purpose....

are you saying how to explain :  in warranty period, the product is least like to be faulty and taking it to 3rd party repairs will void warranty

3 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Sorry I cant get your purpose....

are you saying how to explain :  in warranty period, the product is least like to be faulty and taking it to 3rd party repairs will void warranty

I'm looking for a way to explain the right to repair argument as a whole. Like whats on ifixit.org but in a coherent way that anyone that isn't following it can understand. 

“I paid for it. I can do what I want with it.” 

59 minutes ago, fpo said:

“I paid for it. I can do what I want with it.” 

You can, no one is saying you can't. They're just saying they're not going to honor your warranty then, which makes perfect sense. This is how I understand it at least, correct me if I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, EPENEX said:

You can, no one is saying you can't. They're just saying they're not going to honor your warranty then, which makes perfect sense. This is how I understand it at least, correct me if I'm wrong.

In America its illegal to not honor a warranty if the end user attempts their own repair on the device.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

In America its illegal to not honor a warranty if the end user attempts their own repair on the device.

Except when it’s Apple. :P 

They want to make changing your shoe laces or putting new insoles into your shoes not allowed.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

"If i buy it, it's mine to do whatever i want with it."

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

In this thread, we find out who really doesn't understand Right to Repair. Lol

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

11 hours ago, Hoshiwara said:

A lot of people (in particular, the Apple device users) don't seem to think that the argument matters

don't worry about them, they can afford paying $300 to replace a broken key on their throttlebooks pro and will get the newest iphone even if it's literally the same as the previous one but has a new dongle so it's not like they care about anything anyway.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB