"Your connection is not private"

Bop

So I recently upgraded my motherboard from an old Asrock motherboard, and now use an Asus Z170-A. I reformatted my SSD and did a fresh windows install started installing things everything was going good, and then I tried to download discord and got this (See image for what it was). I click on advanced and it won't let me go farther. I was able to download it through IE because it allowed me to go to the website but once I downloaded it since Discord is just a Chrome browser itself it refuses to update itself and just sits there. Then I realized that Razer Synapse isn't allowing me to sign in or sign up for an account so that I can set my DPI back to normal, weird. Some sites I'm able to just procced through with Caution and others I literally can't do anything. I've googled how to fix it and nothing is working so I'm hoping maybe there is another fix out there. Possibly a board issue. It's on the most recent Bios, and my Lan drivers are the most recent one Asus offers on their website. so I'm really not sure.

Capture.PNG

*Also a note. I can VPN into it through just like any free Web Proxy site. So I'm not really sure what's up honestly.

Check your time and date. Make sure they're set correctly. A motherboard with a reset CMOS will default to a time that's years ago, thus invalidating most of the SSL certificates until fixed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The date and time are as close as they can possibly be. That was the first thing that I did. As I know there's no way to auto set it on Windows 7, to auto grab it from like a server to be as close as possible.

2 minutes ago, Bop said:

The date and time are as close as they can possibly be. That was the first thing that I did. As I know there's no way to auto set it on Windows 7, to auto grab it from like a server to be as close as possible.

You are referring to your BIOS date and time?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

This is the certificate I receive from discord, if yours is the same it must be verifying it incorrectly (date/time, deleted root CAs). Whatever you do don't install CAs you cannot verify on another computer - fake CAs would leave you vulnerable to a Man in The Middle attack.

image.png.2d3f58955a6918dad01bce3e7f79ae3f.png

30 minutes ago, Spudbilly said:

You are referring to your BIOS date and time?

My Bios time and date are both set perfectly. But for some reason my windows time was off originally by an hour or two I had to fix it. I honestly may just upgrade to Windows 10. I think it's Windows 7 messing with this type of stuff if we're being honest.

1 minute ago, Bop said:

My Bios time and date are both set perfectly. But for some reason my windows time was off originally by an hour or two I had to fix it. I honestly may just upgrade to Windows 10. I think it's Windows 7 messing with this type of stuff if we're being honest.

imho....windows 10 is great. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

7 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

This is the certificate I receive from discord, if yours is the same it must be verifying it incorrectly (date/time, deleted root CAs). Whatever you do don't install CAs you cannot verify on another computer - fake CAs would leave you vulnerable to a Man in The Middle attack.

image.png.2d3f58955a6918dad01bce3e7f79ae3f.png

Capture 2.PNG

What is exactly do you mean by CA?

1 minute ago, Spudbilly said:

imho....windows 10 is great. 

It seems to have gotten better over time. Originally I really wasn't a fan of it but they seem to have actually gone in the right direction with the dev. of it and I can't see why I wouldn't like it at this point. 

7 minutes ago, Bop said:

Capture 2.PNG

What is exactly do you mean by CA?

A CA or Certificate Authority is a company which signs Certificates. These Certificates are used to prove the identity of a website. Each Certificate basically claims "I, Certificate Authority XYZ, know that this new Certificate is for Company/Website ABC for a certain time period.

Certificates are validated by following the chain of certificates (certificates can be signed by other certificates) up to a CA whose Certificate is installed on your computer. If you don't have the CA Certificate on your computer or it is seen as invalid (i.e. the Certificate has expired) your computer will reject the Certificate and show an error message.

Try search for the following command in Windows search - certmgr.msc

This should open a box like below. Open the highlighted folder. Do you also have the COMODO CA certificates?

image.png.d75608a2379b94f6a249dd96bb1b3175.png

10 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

A CA or Certificate Authority is a company which signs Certificates. These Certificates are used to prove the identity of a website. Each Certificate basically claims "I, Certificate Authority XYZ, know that this new Certificate is for Company/Website ABC for a certain time period.

Certificates are validated by following the chain of certificates (certificates can be signed by other certificates) up to a CA whose Certificate is installed on your computer. If you don't have the CA Certificate on your computer or it is seen as invalid (i.e. the Certificate has expired) your computer will reject the Certificate and show an error message.

Try search for the following command in Windows search - certmgr.msc

This should open a box like below. Open the highlighted folder. Do you also have the COMODO CA certificates?

image.png.d75608a2379b94f6a249dd96bb1b3175.png

I doesn't have RSA but I do have another one.

Capture 3.PNG

1 minute ago, Bop said:

I doesn't have RSA but I do have another one.

Capture 3.PNG

Select the Intermediate Certificate Authority section, the COMODO Certificates are not root CAs (which sign themselves) but are signed by another CA called AddTrust.

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Select the Intermediate Certificate Authority section, the COMODO Certificates are not root CAs (which sign themselves) but are signed by another CA called AddTrust.

Both of the directory's in the Intermediate are missing COMODO should they have them there?

Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNG

Are you able to show us the certification path of the discordapp.com cert you're getting on your machine? 

1 hour ago, Bop said:

Both of the directory's in the Intermediate are missing COMODO should they have them there?

Capture 4.PNG

That explains why it isn't working. When it works back up the chain to look for a Certificate Authority it cannot find one hence the "Windows does not have enough information to verify this certificate".

It seems a number of Certificates are missing i.e. the AddTrust certificate, you mention this is a new install, have you let Windows update itself fully?

Edit: Also check that updating the Certificates is enabled Link

Edited by ScratchCat

11 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

That explains why it isn't working. When it works back up the chain to look for a Certificate Authority it cannot find one hence the "Windows does not have enough information to verify this certificate".

It seems a number of Certificates are missing i.e. the AddTrust certificate, you mention this is a new install, have you let Windows update itself fully?

Edit: Also check that updating the Certificates is enabled Link

I'm going to update windows. I thought I had the most recent iso. but it seems I didn't. So I'm gonna go ahead and update and get back to you if anything changes.