Keep my laptop or return it?

Okay so here goes, I'll try to sum up my situation that I want advice on. I ordered an Alienware computer. The only GTX 1080 I could get was Max-Q which would've been worse performance than the GTX 1070 OC. So I ordered the GTX 1070 OC. Then, I got offered a price when I found out they got rid of the ridiculous Max-Q (understandable for THIN laptops but I wanted full features) for a true GTX 1080 non Max-Q and it was under a $90 difference. I opted for the 1440p display with 120hz for an extra $250 as well as the upgrade wireless card and upgraded keyboard for per key RGB lighting. They are not offering me an additional $200 off if I keep the computer I have now so for an Alienware 17 with the GTX 1070 OC out the door my cost after discount would be an even $2,000 plus taxes. But I'm worried that....

1.) Buyers remorse - I can't change the GPU later so if I keep it then I keep it

2.) Holiday deals right around the corner anyway so maybe I should wait for another deal?

3.) What if towards the end of the year they revise the laptops and I lose features I wanna keep?

4.) What if in the long run I don't get around the same deal with the GTX 1080 which was like 19% off and I can't get the GTX 1070 with all the extra features added for $2k even again?

So there's my dilemma. They sent a shipping label. I have to decide whether to send it back or to keep it. Also, I'd like opinions on the display while I'm in the return period and my choices are....

1440p (2k) - 120hz - G-Sync TN&WVA Panel with 400 nit brightness

Vs.

2160p 4K - 60hz - IPS AG - G-Sync with 300 nit brightness

I look forward to the replies, help me out here people! Thanks in advance!

I'd keep the 1440p with the 1070. Better pairing than the 4k with a 1080 imo. And after 2-3 years, it will be obsolete botz ways round. Also a brighter screen has beenefits.

but if you like color accuracy, the 4k would be better because ips.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

120HZ or 60hz. That is your choice. Go for the one you want. :)

As IMO you would only game at 1080p on the 4K but use 4K for other stuff... IMO only good for TV/Netflix. So if you don't do that, stick to 1440.

Thought I might chime in.

I have an alienware 17r3 with a 4k panel 980m 8gb. (although i tend to play most games in 2k) due to old ass maxwell not having enough grunt for modern titles in 4k

IF you chose to keep your current setup or not you can buy a graphics amplifier and use a full desktop card when it is time to upgrade in the future, which is what I have chosen to do.

If it were me and I already had buyers remorse under the returns period I would return it and get the 1080 4k one you probably want.

1 hour ago, OverC1ockeD said:

I ordered an Alienware computer

15 or 17 inch? 15 inch has 1080MQ GPU (which is waste of money) while 17 inch has full 1080N. Note that 1080 laptops run hot even with beefy cooling (AW15/17 cooling is just OK-good due to 'only' 3 shared heatpipes)

120Hz makes a difference in games. I would say go for 1440p 120Hz with 1070

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, Ironwhale2009 said:

Thought I might chime in.

I have an alienware 17r3 with a 4k panel 980m 8gb. (although i tend to play most games in 2k) due to old ass maxwell not having enough grunt for modern titles in 4k

IF you chose to keep your current setup or not you can buy a graphics amplifier and use a full desktop card when it is time to upgrade in the future, which is what I have chosen to do.

If it were me and I already had buyers remorse under the returns period I would return it and get the 1080 4k one you probably want.

I do plan on getting the graphics amplifier regardless. My biggest concern is whether I could get them to go down on the price to $2k even later if I decide to keep this current setup. Kind of wondered about temps with the GTX 1080. Higher frame rates is definitely better, not sure if I could see a night and day difference with the 4K being on a 17.3" display. My thoughts are having over 400 more CUDA cores for the GTX 1080. Everyone is saying there's ups and downs to the IPS panel but 120hz for gaming but I don't know how night and day their IPS panel would be but I would be restricted to 60hz. That aside, I would be calibrating the display anyway using an X-Rite calibrator to get better color and looks either way. I think I  made the right decision with the 2K display since I'm mainly concerned about gaming - but don't wanna regret not spending another $300 for a better GPU. I've frustrated myself with this for days now. But have to decide soon on what to do.

8 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I'd keep the 1440p with the 1070. Better pairing than the 4k with a 1080 imo. And after 2-3 years, it will be obsolete botz ways round. Also a brighter screen has beenefits.

but if you like color accuracy, the 4k would be better because ips.

Thanks for your input! I do like color accuracy but can't look past the fact that I mainly want this for gaming. I'm currently on my 15.6" MacBook Pro with dedicated R9 M370X so for photo and video editing this is what I'll be using so no worry about missing out on anything there. I know that black friday stuff is mostly outdated crap but could be a chance to snag super high specs for a good price. Then again - this computer would be about 19% off already and for an Alienware that may be as good as it gets. How much better do you think the GTX 1080 will be at 1440p gaming? Looking at the reviews online - not worth it for 1080p as only like 10% difference but with the higher resolution those extra CUDA cores will shine. Yet what about temps and overclocking? So many factors to consider.

8 hours ago, TechyBen said:

120HZ or 60hz. That is your choice. Go for the one you want. :)

As IMO you would only game at 1080p on the 4K but use 4K for other stuff... IMO only good for TV/Netflix. So if you don't do that, stick to 1440.

I do TV/Netflix - I think ultimately the brighter 120hz was the best decision - but a second thought if I'm already returning to get the GTX 1080 - what do you think about 1440p gaming with GTX 1080 vs 1070?

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

15 or 17 inch? 15 inch has 1080MQ GPU (which is waste of money) while 17 inch has full 1080N. Note that 1080 laptops run hot even with beefy cooling (AW15/17 cooling is just OK-good due to 'only' 3 shared heatpipes)

120Hz makes a difference in games. I would say go for 1440p 120Hz with 1070

It's the Alienware 17. Both options are non max-q. Had the 1080 been non Max-Q at time of order I wouldn't even be asking this but it unfortunately came out RIGHT AFTER they wouldn't allow me to cancel my order which is ridiculous - like they purposely do this so that they talk you into keeping it. Send it to you just to send it back but then take more money off. Most reviews and things online only show performance results for 1080p and not 1440p which is annoying. The GTX 1070 mobile is actually faster with more CUDA cores than the desktop version which is weird but the GTX 1080 mobile has over 400 more CUDA cores and GDDR5X memory versus GDDR5 so faster bandwidth too. Worth it to go for the 1080 non max Qfor 1440p gaming?

On 14/09/2018 at 7:52 PM, OverC1ockeD said:

I do plan on getting the graphics amplifier regardless. My biggest concern is whether I could get them to go down on the price to $2k even later if I decide to keep this current setup. Kind of wondered about temps with the GTX 1080. Higher frame rates is definitely better, not sure if I could see a night and day difference with the 4K being on a 17.3" display. My thoughts are having over 400 more CUDA cores for the GTX 1080. Everyone is saying there's ups and downs to the IPS panel but 120hz for gaming but I don't know how night and day their IPS panel would be but I would be restricted to 60hz. That aside, I would be calibrating the display anyway using an X-Rite calibrator to get better color and looks either way. I think I  made the right decision with the 2K display since I'm mainly concerned about gaming - but don't wanna regret not spending another $300 for a better GPU. I've frustrated myself with this for days now. But have to decide soon on what to do.

you can't see a real difference between 2 and 4k, at least I can't with my 29 year old eyes.

That being said a new very expensive purchase like this is meant to be fun, not an agonising back and forth.

My opinion is if you aren't absolutely satisfied currently, then you should return the device so you have no buyers remorse, and repurchase at a later date/time when you can get the performance you want at a price you are happy with.

let me know what you did!

-Rob

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:46 AM, Ironwhale2009 said:

you can't see a real difference between 2 and 4k, at least I can't with my 29 year old eyes.

That being said a new very expensive purchase like this is meant to be fun, not an agonising back and forth.

My opinion is if you aren't absolutely satisfied currently, then you should return the device so you have no buyers remorse, and repurchase at a later date/time when you can get the performance you want at a price you are happy with.

let me know what you did!

-Rob

Heeeeey I know this is an old post but I haven't been on the site for a bit - I kept the 1440p @ 120hz with the GTX 1070, they gave me some money back to not return it which helped and for the price I most definitely got the best deal. While I'm still very annoyed with them that they made me wait until I got it in the mail just to redundantly return it RIGHT AFTER ordering it and they came out with the 1080; I overall could still not be more pleased all things considered. To date I've yet to see a 1440p panel on any laptop running at 120hz and it also kinda more so justifies getting the amplifier later. If you'd like to see my new thread I'm currently having an issue using Intel RST on a desktop with Optane memory if you could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers!