Deleting your own post?

Hi,

My concern is; why can't we not delete our own posts? I didn't do anything, but maybe someone posted twice accidentally. So it could be very helpfull to delete such of things.

(sorry for my 'bad' Enlish, i'm still learning it. I'm Dutch.)

I'd like to hear from a Mod, or Admin, but anyone else who knows why too.

Just report you own post and a mod or admin will delete it for you.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

you could use the forum suggestions/bugs subforum to suggest this

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

19 minutes ago, _LionKing said:

Hi,

My concern is; why can't we not delete our own posts? I didn't do anything, but maybe someone posted twice accidentally. So it could be very helpfull to delete such of things.

(sorry for my 'bad' Enlish, i'm still learning it. I'm Dutch.)

I'd like to hear from a Mod, or Admin, but anyone else who knows why too.

Because users could post abuse and insults then delete them before the mods are able to deal with it.

That wouldn't work anyway as AFAIK all deleted posts are saved in the staff only section but it's still a concern.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Jtalk4456 someone made a suggestion a couple of years ago

Its been discussed internally before and we've decided against it for reasons stated above, but to reiterate:

1. Posts can already be deleted by reporting them and asking a mod to delete it
  2. Gives an essentially untraceable way for people to troll/harass others
  3. Allows people to delete threads that shouldn't be deleted (for example, their solution is solved so they delete the thread, what about other people who have the same issue? etc)

Regarding status updates: You can "Hide" a status update which makes it invisible to everyone else, its in the "options" dropdown menu. 

• Allow members to delete or lock their own posts
    If you would like something to be removed, please report it, and it will be removed by a moderator. However, a significant number of the deletion requests that we get are because the topic is solved, which is not a valid reason for deletion - by leaving the topic, it can help other people in the future.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

@Jtalk4456 someone made a suggestion a couple of years ago

i definitely agree with 2 and 3 though reason 1 is a bit inconvenient for those who don't know who the mods are, and the post will still be up while they wait for a mod to get around to it. either way it looks like it's not happening

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

why can't we not delete our own posts?

Because the information could be useful to someone on "one of those forum hunts" in 2034. 

29 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i definitely agree with 2 and 3 though reason 1 is a bit inconvenient for those who don't know who the mods are, and the post will still be up while they wait for a mod to get around to it. either way it looks like it's not happening

I guess the other two reasons outweigh the inconvenience