New rig planning; i5 vs R7

Shally

So, since I got a new job I think it's time I upgrade my PC and I'm aiming for the best bang for buck gaming rig. The two routes I can go is:

--RYZEN RIG--
CPU: R7 2700X

RAM: 16gb HyperX 
GPU: GTX 1080

SSD:970 512gb EVO

--INTEL RIG--
CPU: i5 8600k
RAM: 16gb HyperX 
GPU: GTX 1080

SSD:970 512gb EVO

They both come to very similar prices considering AMD motherboards are cheaper but the i5 itself is cheaper. I would like to OC but I'm super bothered. 
I mainly play games, with light photo editing. 

The higher fps in games with the i5 but my upgrade path is then limited.  The CPU I have now is i5 6400 but I want to use that in my dads new rig

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

bang/buck I'd say AMD but not in this class. You are comparing the flagship against the middle range. The 2600 would be a better bang/buck since it's cheaper and I dont know any game that would be able to use 8 physical cores (2700x 8C / 16T)

1 minute ago, ZeouLs said:

bang/buck I'd say AMD but not in this class. You are comparing the flagship against the middle range. The 2600 would be a better bang/buck since it's cheaper and I dont know any game that would be able to use 8 physical cores (2700x 8C / 16T)

The 2600 is similar to the CPU i have now and I'd like an upgrade, and I don't want anything to bottleneck my 1080

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 minute ago, KendoSapion said:

The 2600 is similar to the CPU i have now and I'd like an upgrade, and I don't want anything to bottleneck my 1080

The r5 2600 will roundhouse kick your 6400 into the shadow realm