Can't hear certain fragments of a song, please help

Lathlaer

OK, here is the problem - my DAC/AMP is currently undergoing repairs because it simply stopped working. Right now my Focal Elear headphones are connected to front audio port via jack adapter (since they have 6.35mm jack natively).

Recently I've been checking some YT songs by Queen and here is the culprit:

Fast forward to 2:05 part of the song - there is a whole section about Oberon and Titania in lyrics which I can't hear on my headphones. It sounded weird to me because I know this song and I remember it being hearable. To test my theory I just used my Samsung S9, played the video and voila, I can hear it.

Can someone point out where the problem might be? Some system settings, the fact that going through front audio is crappy, faulty headphones?

Oh and btw. when I search the song on YT and found a different version (probably lower quality one), I can hear it just fine. It's this specific one and I'm wondering what's going on.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Those words exist exclusively in the right channel from what I can tell.  Is it possible that due to a slight error in how your headphones are plugged in, or how the adapter you're using was made, that what you're hearing is just the left channel cloned to both right and left cups?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is it possible that due to a slight error in how your headphones are plugged in, or how the adapter you're using was made, that what you're hearing is just the left channel cloned to both right and left cups?

Holy shit, yeah, this is it. I don't know why yet but I just opened the Asus SupremeFX and voila, can't hear the right channel. Thanks for pointing me the right direction!

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

9 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

To test my theory I just used my Samsung S9, played the video and voila, I can hear it.

Did you connect headphones to it?

In that case fault shouldn't be in adapter.

Have you tried them in motherboard's rear connector?

(green)

Front audio port of case or its wiring might well be faulty.

38 minutes ago, EsaT said:

Did you connect headphones to it?

In that case fault shouldn't be in adapter.

Have you tried them in motherboard's rear connector?

(green)

Front audio port of case or its wiring might well be faulty.

No, I just tested the song on the phone without headphones to check if this is perhaps kinda different version of it than I remember.

I readjusted the the cables and settings in the Supreme FX and it seems to be OK for now. I'm not happy with how it sounds but now at least it works. Regrettably I can't insert it to the back of my mobo because of the way my chassis is constructed - there is a glass enclosure and all cables go kinda under it and the jack+adapter take too much space. Front audio only.

I will suffer through because I should be getting my Audio-GD back in a few days and then it will be back to optical connection. 

As a side note, not having a manual way of adjusting headphones volume via DAC/AMP is so incredibly annoying that I'd buy one just for that :D

4 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

As a side note, not having a manual way of adjusting headphones volume via DAC/AMP is so incredibly annoying that I'd buy one just for that :D

If paying more than cheapest membrane keyboard price, you should choose keyboard with dedicated physical volume control.

After all that's where you fingers/hands usually are, or at least close.

Though as emergency solution NirCMD could be use for making "hotkeys" for changing volume by making desktop shortcuts for volume change commands and adding shortcut key for executing it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-off-the-monitor/

1 minute ago, EsaT said:

If paying more than cheapest membrane keyboard price, you should choose keyboard with dedicated physical volume control.

*looks at his Corsair k70 Lux*

*looks at the volume scroller*

*feels very stupid*

:D

2 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

*looks at his Corsair k70 Lux*

*looks at the volume scroller*

*feels very stupid*

:D

Damn marketers for only advertising those shiny RGB lights and bling bling instead of telling about actually usefull features...