EVGA G1+ 850 Gold makes weird noise

Kywim

Hello!

I've got my new PSU which was in a bundle with my GTX 1080Ti. It seems to work great, however 1 had 2 crashes over the weekend.

First one was a gradual lockup of my system (first I couldn't go back to Overwatch, then taskbar froze, keyboard rgb froze, system  became unresponsive and I had to reset), and second was a infinite windows loading on startup. I don't think theses are tied to my PSU, maybe it's Windows related? I haven't done a clean install in years. Note that there was nothing in the task manager to help me locate the source!

Well, that's the small issue, the big one is the noise my new PSU makes. Here are some samples to give you an idea. Theses were all recorded from directly below the PSU using my phone.

I think this must be the fan, probably a bad bearing. I've removed my PSU today to look for a wire in the way of the fan, but the fan is intact and nothing seems to be bothering it. (See attachments)

The noise is very constant, it starts right from the moment I press the power on button, and stops when the computer shuts down. (The PSU "clicks" when it's turned on and off, and it begins/stops when it clicks). Could it be coil whine?

So, I'm waiting for an answer of the EVGA support to know if a advanced RMA is possible, but in the meantime, Is it safe to use my PSU for a few weeks?

I've ran some benchmarks and played a few games over the weekend (installed it friday), and aside from the 2 little crashes, nothing seems to be wrong. The PSU doesn't get

that hot in games, just a little bit warm to the touch and it blows cold/lukewarm air, so it's fine I think?

Thanks!

41396130_727396240930120_3302082195602014208_n.jpg

41429343_347252172682705_8042555862121709568_n.jpg

If the PSU makes a weird noise, RMA it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

If the PSU makes a weird noise, RMA it.

Thanks but read my post please. You missed my question completely. Quote:

So, I'm waiting for an answer of the EVGA support to know if a advanced RMA is possible, but in the meantime, Is it safe to use my PSU for a few weeks?

2 minutes ago, Kywim said:

Thanks but read my post please. You missed my question completely. Quote:

Its probably best to avoid using it as much as possible, but usually when you go to support for a product you'll get an answer within 24-48 hours, and by then you'll know what they require RMA wise.

Used it for the whole weekend and it seemed fine. If I RMA it I'll probably have to wait a week or more for the replacement to arrive. Are you telling me I'll have to stop using it in the meantime? Why?

I got that exact PSU recently, I'll have to check if mine makes the same noise. I know that at the very least it's a little loud, there's no fanless/eco mode that I know of for this one.

1 minute ago, Ahajha said:

I got that exact PSU recently, I'll have to check if mine makes the same noise. I know that at the very least it's a little loud, there's no fanless/eco mode that I know of for this one.

Thank you! I don't think it's loud, fan wise I don't hear a thing. It's just this noise that's annoying on idle, when under load it's drowned in coil whine lol

4 hours ago, Kywim said:

Thank you! I don't think it's loud, fan wise I don't hear a thing. It's just this noise that's annoying on idle, when under load it's drowned in coil whine lol

I have the rest of my system practically silent (noctua redux fans wherever I can put them), and when I got this PSU I was a little sad at the fan noise. Perhaps mine is faulty as well? I've been thinking about contacting EVGA and seeing if I could pay the difference for a G2 or G3, which has eco mode. I keep my system in my bedroom, like 5 feet from my bed, so any noise my system makes at idle is irritating. If I remember I'll check later today to perhaps take some recordings of it or comment on if it sounds similar.

I think I'll definitely ask them for a advanced RMA if it's RMA worthy. Just a 1$ fee on my account and I got a new PSU with no downtime. Might as well ask them to upgrade me to a G3 if they accept it since it's just a 10$ difference that I'm totally willing to pay, but I doubt they'll. As long as my new PSU doesn't have this issue and has less coil whine I'll be in heaven tbh

Any way you could stop the fan to be sure it's not just coil whine?

(NOTE: i'm in school and my headphones just broke so your description is all i have to go off of for now.)

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

Any way you could stop the fan to be sure it's not just coil whine?

(NOTE: i'm in school and my headphones just broke so your description is all i have to go off of for now.)

I don't really want to insert any object inside my PSU while it's running tbh

I keep listening every 30 minutes/hour to see if the noise doesn't intensifies, for now it's ok

4 minutes ago, Kywim said:

I don't really want to insert any object inside my PSU while it's running tbh

I keep listening every 30 minutes/hour to see if the noise doesn't intensifies, for now it's ok

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't that psu have a variable fan speed? Could you try comparing the sound idol vs. under load.

If it doesn't then i wish you the best of luck on finding a solution...

also ayy 420 posts

4 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't that psu have a variable fan speed? Could you try comparing the sound idol vs. under load.

If it doesn't then i wish you the best of luck on finding a solution...

also ayy 420 posts

No it doesn't. The noise doesn't increase under load and seems to stay constant 

Just now, Kywim said:

No it doesn't. The noise doesn't increase under load and seems to stay constant 

The pitch of a coil wouldn't stay constant.

If you're willing, you could open it up and swap in a better fan. pretty sure you were right about that being a bad bearing.

5 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

The pitch of a coil wouldn't stay constant.

If you're willing, you could open it up and swap in a better fan. pretty sure you were right about that being a bad bearing.

I'll just keep it for a few weeks and RMA it I think, unless it's urgent I'll wait for the new one.

My last one had a very similar noise and lasted years

Hello again, here is another clue: the noise stops at the second my PSU turns off (it clicks). So, the fan is probably still spinning but the sound stops instantly. It does not continue when the computer is off but the PSU is still plugged in.

Could it simply be the noise of a electrical component in the PSU, or just some form of coil whine?

Also on the picture you can see a piece of plastic in the PSU, maybe it’s that thing that resonates/vibrates from case vibrations or something else?

(just a follow up)

EVGA's tech support says the noise isn't dangerous in any way. They say it's fine and I can always contact them to RMA if the noise gets louder.

Sorry for forgetting about this, but I actually wanted to see for myself how loud it is isolated. I'm not sure, but I think it's gotten quieter in the last few weeks, but here's a test I just did:

It sounds the same but it's quieter

Anyway my replacement is coming in tomorrow, if that one has the same noise I'll know it's the PSU and not anything wrong with it I guess

I think I misjudged it honestly, unless being in my case is somehow making it louder. I forgot that my GPU fans are rather loud (going to replace those with Noctua NF-A9 x 14 fans the second they come out in black), so I blamed the PSU. Though then again, maybe it was and it's just piped down since.