My first real 'build'!

Car712

Hello, so recently I finished my first real PC 'build', using mostly cheap parts off ebay. The specs are below:

Intel Xeon E3110 3.00GHz (LGA 775)

4GB DDR3 RAM

Thinkcentre M58 Motherboard (LGA 775)
WD Caviar Blue 120GB SATA Hard Drive

Intel stock heatsink and fan

(Using old already owned PSU)

The system runs perfectly fast at most times, no issues with throttling (yet), and I am honestly surprised with how nicely it runs.

The really shocking part? I got all of this for only $52 on ebay!

I will also be attaching pictures of the Build, its CPU-Z, and other info

I am also looking for a 'name' for this build, as I cant really seem to come up with one.. lol

The only issue, if anyone would like to comment, is that the CPU fan dident correctly fit on the motherboard at all, so it is currently just sitting on the CPU, with no thermal paste, as I have none. However, the CPU temps are somewhat alright, usually around 60-65C, but can go up to 70-75C at some points. The system also runs perfectly fine, and very fast. So I see no reason to spend more money, unless it starts throttling.

20180908_094159.jpg

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

2 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Hello, so recently I finished my first real PC 'build', using mostly cheap parts off ebay. The specs are below:

4GB DDR3 RAM

The system runs perfectly fast at most times, no issues with throttling (yet), and I am honestly surprised with how nicely it runs.

hate to rain on your parade, but $52 for that isn't much of a deal.

4 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

I am also looking for a 'name' for this build, as I cant really seem to come up with one.. lol

foxy grandpa?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4Gigs feels a bit too low.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

What are you planning to use this for? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

What are you planning to use this for? 

I am going to *try* and play some casual games on it, definitely going to try GTA 5 soon, and probably, use it as my second PC, for web browsing, etc.

I (obviously) am going to upgrade this build soon, with a actual GPU, more RAM, and a case.

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

4Gigs feels a bit too low.

It probably is, for most modern games, but I am planning on upgrading this build soon, with more RAM, and a GPU.

3 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

I am going to *try* and play some casual games on it, definitely going to try GTA 5 soon, and probably, use it as my second PC, for web browsing, etc.

I (obviously) am going to upgrade this build soon, with a actual GPU, more RAM, and a case.

You won't be playing modern AAA games on it. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

6 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

hate to rain on your parade, but $52 for that isn't much of a deal.

Well, yes, but it costs significantly lower than many consumer laptops currently, and most likely, runs better.

(For example, I have a Acer Laptop 'Cloudbook', it has only 2GB ram, a slooow celeron, and 32GB SSD, this laptop cost around $100 when I purchased it in 2015)

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You won't be playing modern AAA games on it. 

True, but again, this is just the start of this build, definitely going to upgrade it alot in the future.

Just now, bobbyd52 said:

Well, yes, but it costs significantly lower than many consumer laptops currently, and most likely, runs better.

(For example, I have a Acer Laptop 'Cloudbook', it has only 2GB ram, a slooow celeron, and 32GB SSD, this laptop cost around $100 when I purchased it in 2015)

you don't get the kind of portability with a bunch of PC parts, and you're comparing between 2 different things. you can easily find a used i5 prebuilt for $50-60 on ebay that would have performed much better while actually having a case for the parts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, bobbyd52 said:

True, but again, this is just the start of this build, definitely going to upgrade it alot in the future.

The LGA 775 platform is 12 years old meaning any 'upgrade' on it is worthless and pointless, using the LGA 1155 platform would have been better. 

زندگی از چراغ

22 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

4GB DDR3 RAM

That's pretty cool! It's a nice machine to tinker around with for what it is. :)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you don't get the kind of portability with a bunch of PC parts, and you're comparing between 2 different things. you can easily find a used i5 prebuilt for $50-60 on ebay that would have performed much better while actually having a case for the parts.

1 minute ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

The LGA 775 platform is 12 years old meaning any 'upgrade' on it is worthless and pointless, using the LGA 1155 platform would have been better.

Alright, I realize there might have (obviously) been better choices, but, this was my first build, and I was on a really small budget, and yes, its clearly not the best I could have done.

Just now, seoz said:

That's pretty cool! It's a nice machine to tinker around with for what it is. :)

Yep! Thats the main reason I made this, so that I could finally have a machine that I could atleast customize, and tinker with.

(Previously I had 2 laptops, neither of which had any customization options whatsoever)

Just now, bobbyd52 said:

Yep! Thats the main reason I made this, so that I could finally have a machine that I could atleast customize, and tinker with.

Yeah, for $52 it's nice, you won't feel too bad if anything ever goes wrong. (Touch wood nothing does ;))

With how expensive a custom PC can be, having a little double-digit priced PC can be nice to play around with, happy tinkering!

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

5 minutes ago, bobbyd52 said:

Alright, I realize there might have (obviously) been better choices, but, this was my first build, and I was on a really small budget, and yes, its clearly not the best I could have done.

Why didn't you come here for advice then? 

We would have helped you to get a better PC.

زندگی از چراغ

jesus im seeing a lot of shitting on this guys build (saying he could have gotten cheaper and stuff) yes he could have and yes we could have helped hom but just let the man enjoy his PC parts

Ok, I got a huge update for anyone interested, I have spent quite a bit more money on this build, and *finally* have it working stable, with good cpu temps and such.

First of all, I moved all the parts to a cardboard box that conveniently fit all of them very nicely

I then ordered the *correct* CPU cooler, some thermal paste, 4GB more ram, and a power cable for the hard drive (Dont ask.. I thought it would just be powered over SATA)

I then setup the cooler with the thermal paste, plugged in the hard drive (bought off ebay for $8), and surprise, it dident work! So, what I was left with doing was to use an OLD seagate 120gb drive from 2005 in this build.

Anyways, after installing the old seagate drive (it actually worked), I then installed Windows 10 on it (before I had a hard drive, I was running off USB).

And last but not least, my 4GB more ram arrived today, I installed it, and now have a total of 8GB RAM!

I will be attaching a picture of the updated build below.

New specs:

8GB DDR3 RAM

Seagate 160GB Hard Drive (From 2005)

Lenovo stock heatsink and fan

(And if anyone is wondering, getting the correct CPU cooler and thermal paste lowered the CPU temps significantly, it used to be around 69-70 at idle, now its usually at 39-40)

0_20180914_194300.jpg