Paranoia

Hey all,

So I recently built my first PC, and a question I'm having is should I leave my PSU (a Corsair TX650M) on after shutting down my PC.

I'm not bothered by the additional cost nor the red light from the motherboard when the PSU is on.. My main concern is fire.

Can a PSU catch on fire when the PC is off, but there is small amount of power still running through?

Replies/Feedback is appreciated,

Thanks,

- Tom

P.S. Yes I know I'm paranoid, but i don't want to have to turn it on/off every time I turn off PC, plus it's probably not healthy constantly doing so...

Yes they can. :D

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

You should be fine, but if you're really paranoid, keep your psu connected to a surge protector or ups. Anything that draws or uses power inherently has the risk of catching fire or blowing up. The chances of that happening nowadays, however, are extremely minimal. Nothing should catch on fire so long as you aren't keeping the pc in some extreme temperature condition. Also to note, the highest chance of failure will likely be a capacitor blowing up within a psu. On the off chance that one does blow (very very unlikely given that the power load from the psu is basically nothing), there's a good chance you'll smell smoke, but there'll be no fire. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

8 hours ago, Airdragonz said:

You should be fine, but if you're really paranoid, keep your psu connected to a surge protector or ups. Anything that draws or uses power inherently has the risk of catching fire or blowing up. The chances of that happening nowadays, however, are extremely minimal. Nothing should catch on fire so long as you aren't keeping the pc in some extreme temperature condition. Also to note, the highest chance of failure will likely be a capacitor blowing up within a psu. On the off chance that one does blow (very very unlikely given that the power load from the psu is basically nothing), there's a good chance you'll smell smoke, but there'll be no fire. 

Ok thanks ;)

Don't see it effecting "health". Unless you mean longevity of the switch itself. 

If you are  asking about this, I assume you already unplug and manually turn off everything in the building already.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

21 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Don't see it effecting "health". Unless you mean longevity of the switch itself. 

If you are  asking about this, I assume you already unplug and manually turn off everything in the building already.

Just I've heard about rumours about people damaging their PC because of constant on / off of there PSU, due to surges.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially since this isn't my market of expertise ;p

Just now, x_x / Tom said:

Just I've heard about rumours about people damaging their PC because of constant on / off of there PSU, due to surges.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially since this isn't my market of expertise ;p

Well if the psu is so low grade to not have surge protection maybe. Pretty uncommon to be turning the psu off anyway, unless you are constantly testing or building. Even then highly unlikely. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

15 hours ago, x_x / Tom said:

Hey all,

So I recently built my first PC, and a question I'm having is should I leave my PSU (a Corsair TX650M) on after shutting down my PC.

Yes.

15 hours ago, x_x / Tom said:

Can a PSU catch on fire when the PC is off, but there is small amount of power still running through?

No.

18 hours ago, x_x / Tom said:

Hey all,

Depends on how long you are thinking about it being turned off.

For an hour or two, no.

For a day or two, yes

For your vacation: Absolutely!

So IMO it makes sense to do that before  going to sleep _AND_ afterwards going to work, so a total of 12-16h disconnected or somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 of a day.

If it is shorter, no.

18 hours ago, x_x / Tom said:

I'm not bothered by the additional cost nor the red light from the motherboard when the PSU is on.. My main concern is fire.

Probably not if your line isn't totally messed up...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depends on how long you are thinking about it being turned off.

For an hour or two, no.

For a day or two, yes

For your vacation: Absolutely!

So IMO it makes sense to do that before  going to sleep _AND_ afterwards going to work, so a total of 12-16h disconnected or somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 of a day.

If it is shorter, no.

Probably not if your line isn't totally messed up...

ok ty