Is this read speed normal for a 1tb Hard drive?

OwenBurton
Go to solution Solved by FastRDust,

About 80Mb/s seems right for a regular Hard drive.

Size does not impact it that much, only the response time.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Just now, FastRDust said:

Oh ok, thanks. I'm planning on getting an ssd soon as you can get 120gb ssds for £25 now. Also is it possible to transfer all my files off of this hdd to a new 2tb one? Just wondering as im contemplating getting a new hdd aswell for more space.

Just now, OwenBurton said:

Oh ok, thanks. I'm planning on getting an ssd soon as you can get 120gb ssds for £25 now. Also is it possible to transfer all my files off of this hdd to a new 2tb one? Just wondering as im contemplating getting a new hdd aswell for more space.

From a 1 TB to a 2 TB would be fine, it could take a while if it is full though as they are not the fastest drives in the world.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

1 minute ago, FastRDust said:

From a 1 TB to a 2 TB would be fine, it could take a while if it is full though as they are not the fastest drives in the world.

I'd just do it overnight then, cheers mate.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Is this a 5400 rpm drive? I would expect to see 125-150 on both items for a newer 7200rpm drive

HD103UJ_1000-1.jpgoh...

2 hours ago, OwenBurton said:

HD103UJ_1000-1.jpgoh...

Nope says on there it is 7200 rpm. Not sure why the read on it is sub 100mbps. How old is the drive?

Found this:
image.png.1e2cead5afaa00973f253971ed9c7754.png

So this means that the external link speed is 300 (ata-300) which is your sata connection so disregard that.

The actual read/write speed of this device would be the internal rate which should theoretically be around 175MBps. So you are seeing about HALF of what it should be capable of. Realistically I would expect it to be in the 135-150 range for real world usage.

Chances are you haven't defragged the drive in a while so the speed test you are doing on a 77% used drive is not allowing the data to be clustered together and it is instead being spread over the entire drive causing read/write performance to be slowed.

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Is this a 5400 rpm drive? I would expect to see 125-150 on both items for a newer 7200rpm drive

My 5400rpm hard drive gets about 125MB/s read speeds...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

15 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

My 5400rpm hard drive gets about 125MB/s read speeds...

True, but there are a lot of factors here. Size of the drive, density, cache, etc.

So a 7200 rpm drive will have a higher read/write on paper and also in most world scenarios where both drives are healthy and properly maintained.

The real advantage though of 7200 rpm drives over 5400 rpm was seek time and non sequential read/writes. 

Now that we gen 3 hybrid drives you will see more and more 5400rpm drives. That is because with hybrid you gain the lower power consumption of lower speeds, while also having a small 8-32gb ssd on these devices capable of reducing seek times by a large amount. Your average user doesn't really need really high read and write speeds, but they do want a low seek time to make windows feel more snappy. Which is why hybrid drives are going to be a good budget solution moving forward.