Why is everyone streaming?

dgsddfgdfhgs
1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Without compression it's much worse than that. 24 bits per pixel, 1920x1080 pixels, 60 frames per second... That's almost 3 gigabit per second.

Recording a 5 min. video at a bitrate of 10 mbps + 60 FPS at 1080p = 345MB file... (Or something like that). So yes. You're right. :) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used to stream Dark Souls PVP back in the day

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

That's how 2018 is. Everybody trying to get rich and famous coz that's what they see on TV, on the internet, ads, literally everywhere. This is some hardcore brainwashing and it's getting worse and worse. All this while on the other side of the planet people are starving to death but all we give a shit about is how many instagram followers we've gained today. We, humans, are scum.

I'm part of the problem too, I'm not trying to sound like a grumpy old hypocrite moron. I simply don't like where this world is headed.

CPU i5-4460 @ 3.2 ghzMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 7RAM 32gb Corsair Vengance 1600mhzGPU GTX-750 TICase Carbide 400R | SSD Plextor M8Pe(Y) 256gb NVME | SSHD Barracuda 1TB PSU CX430Display LG 29UM55-P Ultrawide | Keyboard Trust 3-way LEDMouse Razer Death Adder V2 Left Handed | Speakers Genius SW-HF 5.1 6000Headset Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO | Sound Card Xonar Essence STXIIOS Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, build 9600 | Theme(s) Windows 7, Vista & Aero from DeviantArt

I watch some pre recorded streams or live ones because it’s a long winded video of my favorite personalities. 

Live streams are better because you have a chance to talk to your favorite people & get an immediate response. 

Other times i watch live streams because it’s a game that I don’t want to play & wouldn’t buy but want to see it played the whole way through. 

21 hours ago, emosun said:

I got to admit i don't watch streaming or stream.

not a big fan of unedited content , or rather not a fan of long awkward pauses.

I have never followed a streamer on twitch and only very rarely watch someone on youtube, but if you play the game unedited content has a reason.

If you watch montages you get an unrealistic impression of what is possible, watching the live stream you see the goofs, errors and such.

21 hours ago, Phentos said:

People donate to a streamer only to get their name up on their overlay and/or get a shoutout is almost asinine to me. That being said I'm somewhat of a cheapskate so I guess I just don't understand that.

I find donating to streamers to be demeaning to be honest.

Then i am somewhat a cheapskate too so... :D

On 7.9.2018 at 10:57 AM, Uptivuptiz said:

The raw video would be too much for the servers to handle. Therefor it's required to compress the footage so it can be streamed without lagging. However the compression process takes a lot of CPU power. If the video is not compressed you would need something like a 30/30 internet connection.

30/30? What? Uncompressed video at 1920x1080-resolution at 24-bit depth, 60FPS is 373248000 bytes, or about 356 megabytes per second! That's roughly 2.8Gbps of bandwidth! Then add in network-overhead and audio and you'd need over 3Gbps upload-bandwidth to stream uncompressed video.

EDIT: Didn't notice someone else also pointing the same thing out.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 7.9.2018 at 11:06 AM, Uptivuptiz said:

Didn't even know that there was a codec like NVENC. That's pretty cool :) 

Just to nitpick: NVENC isn't a codec, it's an encoder. H.264 and H.265 (or HEVC, as it's also often referred to) are codecs and NVENC supports both. (Also, x264 isn't a codec, either.)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Don't stream, don't watch streams, and don't understand it. Seems to be more about cults of personality than anything else, like the crap youtube has turned in to.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:53 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

cant it just record the coloured pixels and upload?

8 bit (1 byte) per color, for each pixel. So, 3 bytes per pixel.

So, for a single frame in 1080p, it's 1920*1080 = 2,073,600*3 = 6,220,800.

That's 6 MB per frame. For 60 FPS, you'd need 373 megaBYTES per second. Now, internet connections are measured in bits, not bytes, so that'd require 373*8=2,984 mbps. 3 gigabit per second. Yeah, good luck with that. The fact that you could fit all that information in only 6 megabits with a minor quality loss is frankly amazing, and there's no wounder it takes so much power.

On 07/09/2018 at 9:53 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

who is really watching it?

and why streaming uses so much CPU resources? cant it just record the coloured pixels and upload?

It's like mining. Everyone thinks they can get rich quick and easy.
But it's quite the opposite.

- You have to buy and keep buying influence. Viewers. Just like Instagram for example.
- Even with official partnerships and a good amount of subscribers, you are not guaranteed to make any proper amount of money out of it. I have an irl example, our person streamed a lot, made it, had partnership. And yet, struggled to even have a basic support come in.

- The amount flowing in is taxed and also gets various charges along the way.

> Do people watch...
NO. Hell no. A few streamers have legit audience, like Ninja, Shroud, Disrespect. People with personality, amazing skills, history, and just good show. But, that is just some 0.001% of Twitch. And even the most popular ones (well, not these 3) uses bots.

On 07/09/2018 at 4:53 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

who is really watching it?

Well, I guess there are a few types of streamers:

The big ones - they always have LOTS of people watching, regardless of what theu play

The good players - they have a nice amount of followers, because they are good in the games they play and/or have nice personalities

The niche ones - similar to the good players, but they usually play a niche game and have smaller followings. Tibia streamers are an example of that.

The small ones - they are not known to the public, but for some reason they retain a few viewers. They can stay small if they are casual or they can grow - everyone starts small right?

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.