Siemens eHighway

alextulu
1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Not sure about union rules but here are the legal ones

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/heavy-vehicle-road-code/information-for-heavy-vehicle-drivers/work-time-and-logbooks/

Trucking companies wants the driver to go as far as possible in the allowed time which is why as few stops as possible is wanted for the shortest time possible.

We're not really too far off EV's that can go 5 an a half hours. The 40kwh leaf can do 3 and a half, and thats a pretty average battery as far as they go. 5 and 1/2 with a half hour stop to charge should be pretty sweet in the near future. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

We're not really too far off EV's that can go 5 an a half hours. The 40kwh leaf can do 3 and a half, and thats a pretty average battery as far as they go. 5 and 1/2 with a half hour stop to charge should be pretty sweet in the near future. 

Person at work has a leaf and drives it 73km/60mins each way, think it's just below half charge when he gets here. I know he goes to a charge station before and after work to give it a top up for the drive home then overnight charges it.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Person at work has a leaf and drives it 73km/60mins each way, think it's just below half charge when he gets here. I know he goes to a charge station before and after work to give it a top up for the drive home then overnight charges it.

Must be an older model than mine. In the 2018 Leaf I can drive from Dunedin to Te Anau no problem. Highway milage is much better, esp with the cruise control and steering assist (which is absolutely freaky when your steering wheel turns for you). No traffic either. 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Must be an older model than mine. In the 2018 Leaf I can drive from Dunedin to Te Anau no problem. Highway milage is much better, esp with the cruise control and steering assist (which is absolutely freaky when your steering wheel turns for you). No traffic either. 

Not sure exactly which, older model with a brand new battery pack installed when he got it. He finds head wind has a fair decent impact to range, he is driving it from WG to PN so wind is to be expected here. He's driven it all the way up the North Island, just a bit of route planning but possible in a range restricted car. The charging is mostly about making sure he does get home than totally needing to.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not sure exactly which, older model with a brand new battery pack installed when he got it. He finds head wind has a fair decent impact to range, he is driving it from WG to PN so wind is to be expected here. He's driven it all the way up the North Island, just a bit of route planning but possible in a range restricted car. The charging is mostly about making sure he does get home than totally needing to.

Could be a 24Kwh, which was 2010-2016. 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Could be a 24Kwh, which was 2010-2016. 

Sounds about right, correct year range just forgot which capacity he got but it wasn't the bigger one or didn't get a bigger one due to cost. He's also on spot charging for power so costs next to nothing to charge it over night, something stupid like $8 over a few months.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sounds about right, correct year range just forgot which capacity he got but it wasn't the bigger one or didn't get a bigger one due to cost. He's also on spot charging for power so costs next to nothing to charge it over night, something stupid like $8 over a few months.

It's pretty good pricing, very cheap to charge in town as well. To compare with the recent fuel taxes, filling up the old land cruiser from an 1/8 left at 1.41/l was about $141, my Peugeot costs around $80 from empty at the same rate. Certianly feeling the bite, makes one like EV's a lot more, hence my opinion on this matter. Government and Councils so out of touch with the fuel tax - but I digress, a little off-topic.