Why Is PNY So Cheap?

Jogostar

Hello Folks!

I currently checking out some GPU's, and started wondering why the PC 770 costs 299 CHF, and all the other ones cost around 350 CHF?

Is there any difference, expect the cooler/brand?

Does the PNY one perform worse?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Popularity. Merchants change prices to make sure they don't all sell out of one items and be left with a bunch of another.

They're all pretty similar.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They just have a stock cooler and I'm betting pcb, they won't perform much different than the others

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I heard the PNY ones are not that good and not that reliable but thats the rumor on the street

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

They are reference cards.

They just have a stock cooler and I'm betting pcb, they won't perform much different than the others

How is this stock?

PNY-GTX770.1_LG.JPG

How is this stock?

PNY-GTX770.1_LG.JPG

They I don't know.

Nothing wrong with PNY cards. They're cheap because the demand is low.

I love your videos! Just sayin'

Quote me to get a reply!

Nothing wrong with PNY cards. They're cheap because the demand is low.

so, from noob to pro, would you recommend it?

Don't see why not. If you're asking on a scale from noob to pro, I'd go with amateur-pro (like a 6 or 7 out of 10).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Don't see why not. If you're asking on a scale from noob to pro, I'd go with amateur-pro (like a 6 or 7 out of 10).

nah, I meant, I'm the noob and he is the pro. ^^ but thanks for your input.

nah, I meant, I'm the noob and he is the pro. ^^ but thanks for your input.

Now that you said that I see what you mean. No problem. And my friend's old GT 610 from them is still kicking ass, even though he seems to think it will play Battlefield 4 at 1080p maxed out. But whatever. ;) PNY is still a good brand.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I rarely recommend any particular graphics board maker. In terms of sheer card quality hey are all good and I've yet to find evidence (aside from the odd... mistake... like shipping a card that's just plain clocked too high out of the box) that any of them are "bad".

The real difference is support, and since I'm a bit of a special case to most of them (review units vs retail units) I'm not in a great position to evaluate that.

I rarely recommend any particular graphics board maker. They are all good and I've yet to find evidence (aside from the odd... mistake... like shipping a card that's just plain clocked too high out of the box) that any of them are "bad".

so, there is no point in choosing the more expensive one?

Like Asus or Gigabyte.

Like Asus or Gigabyte.

Sometime they offer better cooler, PCB design, and components,

Quote me to get a reply!

Like Asus or Gigabyte.

Not really. Unless you want one since it looks cooler, or one that cools really well (the ASUS DirectCU II is a SUPERB cooler) there isn't much of a difference. And you can always OC the card yourself with a program like MSI Afterburner or the ASUS tweaking suite (forgot what it's called).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

PNY support is a bit lack luster. You get much better support via ASUS and a few of the other brands in my experience.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Advent, on 03 Jan 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

PNY support is a bit lack luster. You get much better support via ASUS and a few of the other brands in my experience.

Lucky you guys because right here, ASUS support really suck balls (and the amount of complaints in the local forum are too damn high). I have yet to receive my graphics card back from RMA for 6 weeks now. But they are still quite popular here though.. Even my friend got his Leadtek card back in just 2 weeks.

PNY cards are commonly reference design and in low demand because the brand is relatively unknown to many people, I know several of my friends who have purchased PNY throughout the years and there hasn't been any issues that they have relayed to me with the company or their products. However there are always risks with buying from a company that isn't as popular as one of the bigger brands and it's up to you to decide if it's worth the possible risk.

If you look them up on the Better Business Bureau they have a B+ Rating with 33 Complaints in the last 3 years and 5 in the last 12 months, the complaints are broken down into 2 for Sales / Advertising, 11 for Warranty Issues and 20 for Product / Services. Many of the issues seem to come from their definition of 'Lifetime Warranty' which is defined as the following by PNY 

Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item >is no longer available on the common market as a new product.

I personally would stick to Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA (Nvidia Exclusive), Sapphire (AMD Exclusive), MSI or XFX but I have owned PowerColor Video Cards in the past without issue.

Lucky you guys because right here, ASUS support really suck balls (and the amount of complaints in the local forum are too damn high). I have yet to receive my graphics card back from RMA for 6 weeks now. But they are still quite popular here though.. Even my friend got his Leadtek card back in just 2 weeks.

Well you are in Malaysia <__< that might have something to do with it. Also send me some Malay food :P 

ASUS support in the USA is great.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

That must be the only part of the world that has good customer service from Asus.

I never said that nor did I imply it. But myself and many of the people that I know that use ASUS products have had no issues with their Customer Support or getting a faulty part RMAd.

ASUS headquarters are in Taiwan and USA.

PSU

Advent, on 03 Jan 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Well you are in Malaysia <__< that might have something to do with it. Also send me some Malay food :P 

ASUS support in the USA is great.

But Asus brand is HUGE here..Maybe it is just an 'asian' thing to have less than average Customer Support quality. But it's not like their stuffs are any cheaper than the ones is US or Europe either.*sigh*

Malay foods can be really spicy. Even I sometimes have a hard time eating them..

It took me about 20 minutes to get my RMA ticket from Asus Support Chat. They should receive the card tomorrow. I don't expect them to take long, but it may.

Compared to the HORRID experience i've had with XFX (a couple years back) Asus support was a godsend. XFX wouldn't even answer the phone. It took them several days to respond to each of my emails. I just gave up, and bought a new card.

i5 2500k@4.2GHZ       / Hyper 212 Evo     / GTX 970 (EVGA) 1410Mhz core     / GTX 970 (EVGA) 1410Mhz core      / ASROCK z77 extreme 4 / Seasonic X series 1050w     / Azza Spartan case       / 2x4GB Kingston 1600mhz      / Toshiba Crucial 256 SSD     / Hitachi 3tb storage drive    / Hitachi 1tb storage drive / WD My Passport 1tb storage drive       / Corsair K90 Keyboard      / Corsair M65 FPS mouse      / Asus vw246h 24" monitor       / Asus vs247h-p 23" monitor.