bottlenecking issue in games

DukeJukem

not sure what my issue is

gtx 980 reference (yea i know)

i5 4690k

ddr3 1866 ram 8 gig

my issue is i cannot achieve 60 frames in many games with highest/high settings. riva tuner is telling me my cpu and gpu are NOT being maxed out. so........if they're not being maxed.......either of them.......where are my consistent 60 frames lol???

nah. two 4 gig sticks dual channel corsair ( not sure the exact model) with xmp profile enabled in bios and memory settings in bios set to performance

8 minutes ago, DukeJukem said:

nah. two 4 gig sticks dual channel corsair ( not sure the exact model) with xmp profile enabled in bios and memory settings in bios set to performance

So which game at what resolution? 

Windows 10?

What games? Tried updating drivers?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

pretty much any game behaves this way if i set the graphics settings too high. i am on windows 10 enterprise ltsb (so i dont have cortana etc) and my nvidia drivers are up to date and they rest of my drivers are as well. not sure if this will help but also, no matter which version of windows i run, my audio will glitch and spaz out for a split second any time i load something thats "intensive" like if im on discord and i load something heavy peoples voices will either disappear completely for a split second or my audio will spaz out and make a "grrr" sound for a split second. this happens if i load games, chrome etc while discord is open or if i have music playing etc......any sound playing lol. tf is wrong with this computer lol

any ideas? geforce experience will suggest me to enable high settings etc in games but then i have low fps. is this a ram speed issue perhaps? i think my default speed on the stick is 1336 mhz or something and its xmp goes to the 1866 setting

GPU temps? Audio thing could be side effect of GPU drivers. Have you tried with older or beta drivers? I'm guessing 1080p res, but have you tried to fiddle with settings? Vsync off?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

my temps max at 79c since i have it set that way through msi afterburner though. heres the thing though. i limit my temp limit in afterburner to 79c right? now lets look at a game i run on low settings in this situation @ 60 fps ( dead by daylight) my gpu on low will be in the 60s c. bump it up to high (skip medium) and thats where my temps hit my limit i've set, BUT my gpu nor cpu is maxed yet. so now am at 79c on high setting in dead by daylight getting frame drops randomly below 60, while my gpu is only @ 70% usage and its at 79c. if i tell afterburner to let my temps go up to 92c (the supposed max for maxwell) it will let it get that hot if i allow it. however, if i allow it to max at 92c nothing happens besides that. no performance improvements etc. so how is this software forcing temps to stay @ 79c while giving me "X" performance/results, but the same results are the same performance and stats wise if i allow the temp to go up? my point is how the hell can this thing just hold back 13 celcius without giving me some kind of boost when i up the max temp? i understand thats not how it works, but how can that amount of heat be allowed or disallowed but it has no effect on actual performance just the heat amount i choose to allow. is the allow more heat seating in case my room gets cold or something? lol

10 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

like if im on discord

You're using an i5. Stay off discord and refrain from playing music in the background. This should fix your issues.

11 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

i cannot achieve 60 frames in many games with highest/high settings.

What games? Be specific to get specific results. Issues vary from game to game.

i mentioned dead by daylight specifically then said basically all games in general when turned up too high. so basically i was as specific as humanly possibly by saying ALL GAMES. what specific results would i get? you being a dick? fuck is wrong with people these days.......

16 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

my temps max at 79c since i have it set that way through msi afterburner though. heres the thing though. i limit my temp limit in afterburner to 79c right? now lets look at a game i run on low settings in this situation @ 60 fps ( dead by daylight) my gpu on low will be in the 60s c. bump it up to high (skip medium) and thats where my temps hit my limit i've set, BUT my gpu nor cpu is maxed yet. so now am at 79c on high setting in dead by daylight getting frame drops randomly below 60, while my gpu is only @ 70% usage and its at 79c.

Limitting temp means that card will downclock to keep temps down. If you disable that, it will use full power, and heat up. Usage is usually driver issue, which is why I asked about using older or beta drivers. It could be bottleneck, but with your hardware thats unlikely.

16 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

but the same results are the same performance and stats wise if i allow the temp to go up? my point is how the hell can this thing just hold back 13 celcius without giving me some kind of boost when i up the max temp?

Still thinking that part is drivers thing. Is your GPU fan at full speed even while at 92C? I got 780 reference and it maxes at 78C while fan is at full speed. With fan limited to 60% max I get is 84C.

11 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

i mentioned dead by daylight specifically then said basically all games in general when turned up too high. so basically i was as specific as humanly possibly by saying ALL GAMES. what specific results would i get? you being a dick? fuck is wrong with people these days.......

So what are your actual fps in games? You say you aren't getting stable 60 fps on high settings. Can you achieve that on any settings while on 1080p? I checked that Dead by Daylight and it seems to be GPU heavy and yours is enough to provide 60fps on 1080p high. That said, there are some that say it won't go much over 60, and stays mainly under.

Also, no need to get hostile. We can only answer based on info you provide. If you would be playing CPU heavy game, like Battlefield series, then this could be more issue with amount of RAM or CPU itself (4yo i5 is starting to be old, even if OC'd). It could also be that game is new and lacking driver optimization, it could be that its overall badly optimized etc. So please provide all the info to get answers. And not whine about it when people ask for them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv