How Can I Make My Current Storage Setup More Productive

brownix
My Current HardDrive Setup

Desktop
2 x 2TB HDD (1 Used for normal use, other for backup of first)
1 x 128GB SSD (OS, Some applications)

Laptop
2 x 500GB HDD (1 main one programs and games, other for Documents, Music, Video, Pictures)

External
1 x 300GB HDD (Previously PVR Drive now Steam Backup Drive)
1 x 3TB  Internal HDD (Backup of all files. Lies there until I need it or its backup time.)
1 x 2TB External HDD (Backup of Music, Video, Pictures. I use this drive regularly because of the media and that it has a shell.)
1 x 4TB External HDD (?)

The 4TB is a new Seagate Backup Plus. I am running out of space for other drives so this was gifted to me. 
I haven't even opened the Backup Plus Box, let alone played with the included software. I read that it has some useful features but didn't read what they were so if there is anything in the software that can help please tell me. 

How do I use this drive?

I don't have an actual backup, like the default windows backup. For some reason whenever I try to do an actual system backup it doesn't complete. This has happened 3-4 times before on the 3TB internal drive. So now I just backup individual files in their locations. I just copy paste, which is good enough for me since I just need access to the files and re-installation is not a big deal. Well it takes forever but I value my media protection over full backup so until now I have not had a real reason to do a full backup. But with the 4TB I think I should but don't know what to do with everything else. I could just use the 4TB like the 3TB but actually take it places because of the shell but that seems like overkill. 

Right now my desktop has about 200GB left in each HDD, and my laptop around 80 & 60 for drives 1 & 2 respectively. I would like to get this backing up over with so I can remove some redundant media.
Right now I am thinking of doing a full backup of my desktop and then deciding what to do with everything else after wards. In a few days my school will start and I will be away from my desktop so no one will be using it until I come back. It's going to be me and my laptop when school starts. 

So maybe do a full backup on the 3TB and copy its data on the 4TB? 

Any suggestions.
Thank you for your help.

What exactly is backed up to the 3TB drive?

It sounds like your desktop already has redundant storage.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Personally, I'd bung together the cheapest little build you can as a home server. I did it about a year ago and it was well worth it.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

What exactly is backed up to the 3TB drive?

It sounds like your desktop already has redundant storage.

Ya it is pretty redundant but on the 3TB is basically everything from my laptop and desktop. Its not everything but the most important. It doesn't have all my media but my favourite media, and best pictures.

Ya it is pretty redundant but on the 3TB is basically everything from my laptop and desktop. Its not everything but the most important. It doesn't have all my media but my favourite media, and best pictures.

You could make your 4TB your backup drive. Then use the 3TB as temporary space while you move media around drives.

I wouldn't recommend Windows backup. It's ok, but it doesn't have data deduplication, so even if nothing changes it still does a full backup. For that you need a Windows Home Server system handling backups. Otherwise, it fills up space very quickly.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I wouldn't recommend Windows backup. It's ok, but it doesn't have data deduplication, so even if nothing changes it still does a full backup. For that you need a Windows Home Server system handling backups. Otherwise, it fills up space very quickly.

That was also one of my main issues. I'm glad there is something that does have data deduplication as you say. Are there other ways to do this? I can't spend any money cause of other expenses so something with my current material would be great. I was hoping Seagates software has this. I can't find much information on it.