Doing a presentation on on Linux, any tips?

Hi, I'm doing a presentation on Linux. I don't really know that much about Linux as I've been a Windows user for all of my life (and carried the shame that comes with that). I figured that since Linux is a bit complex and mostly used by techies, the forum would be the perfect place to ask. Do any of you have anything that i mustn't forget or just input on trust-worthy sources i could use? 

9 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

Hi, I'm doing a presentation on Linux. I don't really know that much about Linux as I've been a Windows user for all of my life (and carried the shame that comes with that). I figured that since Linux is a bit complex and mostly used by techies, the forum would be the perfect place to ask. Do any of you have anything that i mustn't forget or just input on trust-worthy sources i could use? 

(Fellow Dane here)

For starters, "linux" has come a long way from being only for tech-heads. The latest version of Ubuntu and Mint, for example, are as plug and play as Windows. If your machine is sufficiently powerful, install VMWare Workstation Player version 14, and install a VM of Mint, and try it out for yourself. You'll get a much better understanding for your report, than reading some website and not understanding what is going on.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

(Fellow Dane here)

For starters, "linux" has come a long way from being only for tech-heads. The latest version of Ubuntu and Mint, for example, are as plug and play as Windows. If your machine is sufficiently powerful, install VMWare Workstation Player version 14, and install a VM of Mint, and try it out for yourself. You'll get a much better understanding for your report, than reading some website and not understanding what is going on.

just one remark on this:

*almost as plug&play as windows.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, Supportsneedlove said:

Talk about Unix philosophy and design. Every object is a file, programs should be small, do one task and work together.. that sort of stuff.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

If you're doing a school presentation I'd focus on the history of the Linux kernel itself and the GNU/FSF philosophy. The latter has been a strong driving force behind what we call "Linux" (but is actually GNU/Linux if you want to be precise) today. Leave out the technical details, unless you're in university for a CS course neither you nor your audience will have the background required to address it properly. Maybe mention some of the major distros (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora/Red Hat, OpenSUSE, Arch...) and the main differences between them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*