Bone-Conductive Headphones

Haven't seen much discussion here regarding bone-conductive headphones, but think it is a headphone segment, and cool technology in general, worth talking about.

I know they aren't new by any means, but as far as I understand, they have gotten far better in recent years.

Does anyone use them and have thoughts to share? Or anyone interested in buying any and have any questions?

Personal Experience:

I did just pick up a pair of Aftershokz Treks Air headphones. After using them at work tonight (unloading a semi trailer) I have to say I am really impressed with how well they work. I wanted to get something that would allow me to hear my team if they need to ask or tell me anything, but also enjoy my music (in that job, music is a must to keep me going). These seem to really fit exactly what I need, and at a price I can swallow, though close to that line, no doubt.

How they sound:

They will not match a regular pair of headphones around the same price, but they do sound very respectable, especially given the way the sound is being transmitted. I would say it is almost like having small speakers halfway in your head, just the sound aspect. It is almost as if the sound is coming from your head, but not quite. At the same time, unless you have the volume turned up all the way AND it is a very quiet environment, there is little to no chance anyone else will be able to hear what you are listening to. From a couple phone calls, the people on the other end seemed to not even know I was using headphones, so I'd say microphone quality is also very good.

Physical quality:

I've only had them for a day, but they seem to be built very well, and the texture is grippy enough to stay in place nicely, and help to not feel much weight on your ears, even though that is where most of the support comes from. Battery life is rated at 6 hours, but I used them for at least 5 hours and still had around 40% left, so they seem to only surpass that. Still keeps them in the single day usage, but it is at least a comfortable day's worth, it would appear.

1 hour ago, MrDrProf said:

Haven't seen much discussion here regarding bone-conductive headphones

Mostly because no big names are out there making high quality headphones that use this technology. And really, besides being different, why move away from traditional methods that work perfectly? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 8/29/2018 at 1:09 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Mostly because no big names are out there making high quality headphones that use this technology. And really, besides being different, why move away from traditional methods that work perfectly? 

Mostly for the reason he mentioned, including running/biking on the road and other tasks where audible awareness is important. Personally OP, I've had 3 different sets of aftershokz over the past 5 years, and I love them.

Sound quality continues to go up and so does the battery life, which is severely under estimated by Aftershokz,  which on the side is a nice difference from most companies. I've used these in my companies DCs, and they are one of the few headphones that they allow on the floor due to safety around forklifts.

Quality of the new line they released is extremely rugged, I brutally punish my pair, both slamming my head against stuff accidentally or just drenching them in sweat, and they haven't been phazed.

Honestly, music could be better, although bass is surprisingly good, but podcast style listening is where they excel, which is fine by me because that means I get 40+ hours a week to stay current and to listen to audio books.

Last note, if you ride a motorcycle and have room in your closed helmet, these work amazingly in there as well. Again, you can hear most of what you're listening to, my bike is crazy loud so it impresses me, but also be able to hear traffic around you, which is a life saver.

TLDR, 10 outta 10 for the latest line, must have for work environments or where you need audible awareness.

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 12:09 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, I can understand from the lack of big names making them, but otherwise they seem to be exactly something I'd expect to see on a tech forum. Not that it is an extremely new technology, but it is a very cool one, and something that is getting better and better. Not to mention how useful they are in plenty of situations. I just would've expected something. Honestly, if I hadn't been digging really deep, I probably never would've found the ones I got, that fit my needs perfectly. I can only imagine how many people would really enjoy them if they know they were out there.

As for why to move away, the whole point is that no traditional method works perfectly in giving good audio quality and full situational awareness. I wouldn't advocate everyone jump ship by any means, but I do think that there are a lot of people missing out on a product like this.

• 3 years later...

i mean i looking at these sort of things due to my negative pressure in my ear drums have collapsed and had to get both my ear reconstructed. i now having to get bone induction earing aids and there for looking for a set for gaming cause my earing is 80percent to 90% lost in both ears but throw bone induction it returns to normal. and love playing fps games 

I use the Koss KSC35 on construction sites. It's not bone conduction, but is open back allowing situational awareness

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 9:58 PM, ttvrapier_2389 said:

i mean i looking at these sort of things due to my negative pressure in my ear drums have collapsed and had to get both my ear reconstructed. i now having to get bone induction earing aids and there for looking for a set for gaming cause my earing is 80percent to 90% lost in both ears but throw bone induction it returns to normal. and love playing fps games 

If aftershokz still makes wired ones to plug in, or you're able to connect them via Bluetooth, they'll work great for that. Sound quality was impressive when I had them years ago

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94